Any doubt the Tampa running game wasn’t the difference?

50 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know it’s been said in here multiple times and we can talk about the Chiefs finally starting to get called for their very aggressive style. The ability to run the ball for the Bucs was the big difference in the game. 
 Spags ran the same base defense against the Bucs but their backs made them pay...seems like Daboll had no confidence the Bills could run the ball at all. 

Of course

KC RBs - 11 carries, 69 yards

TB RB - 28 carries 150 yards

I sound like a broken record but imagine how great Allen n the O  would be with consistency . They're already an elite O. A run game would make em nearly unstoppable.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Tampa Bays run game played next to nothing in the overall game.  TB’s defense and the fact the refs called the penalties that they let go in the AFCCG was the difference.

Exactly they just held our receivers until the pass rush got home and the refs weren't having it in the super bowl.  On a lot of those holding calls on the chiefs the receiver on the other side of the field was also getting held lol it was absurd. We wouldve lit up their defense and likely wouldve still lost because our defense was invisible 

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I watched him play this season and was not impressed.

he saved his best game at the right time, as did the Buccaneers defense.

He's played well the whole playoffs. He didn't really have a role during the season. Jones was playing well. Buccaneers really never figured out how to use both RBs. Until late in the season. Fournette played much better as the feature RB. Jones played well coming off the bench. Basically the reverse of what they were doing all year. 

50 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know it’s been said in here multiple times and we can talk about the Chiefs finally starting to get called for their very aggressive style. The ability to run the ball for the Bucs was the big difference in the game. 
 Spags ran the same base defense against the Bucs but their backs made them pay...seems like Daboll had no confidence the Bills could run the ball at all. 

Our RB group is pretty forgetable to be honest.  Neither Moss or Singletary have much burst.  Ronald Jones has more burst, and Fournette is a pounder.  Tampa has a great front 4 pass rush.  They made Mahomes run for his life all nite.  In fact Tampa's defense is better then ours all around.  They played an amazing game last nite front to back.  They pretty much blanketed the KC receivers at all the crucial moments in the game.  Lavonte David and Devin White are much better then Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds.  No contest there.  But the pass rush against Mahomes was fierce.  

Bills would have played the Bucs much tougher then the Chiefs did.  But I think the league saw the blue print for beating the Chiefs.  Knock the snot out of Mahomes.  God I loved that.  Can't stand the hype he gets.  Allen is the guy.  

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Of course

KC RBs - 11 carries, 69 yards

TB RB - 28 carries 150 yards

I sound like a broken record but imagine how great Allen n the O  would be with consistency . They're already an elite O. A run game would make em nearly unstoppable.  

They didn't really run the ball until the 3rd. Wasn't like they came out and pounded them. That's where the majority of rushing yards take place. 2nd half of games. A lot of times the game situation dictates how you run the ball. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

That third Bucs series they started by running it for 3, 6, 6 yards and that opened up the play action as the next six were passes to finally Gronk in the end zone. Being able to put the Chiefs back on their heals and made them respect the run was a big difference. 

Consequently as the Bucs got the lead and knew the Chiefs were forced to throw almost ever down they could pin their ears back and pass rush with that front four rather then worrying about the Chiefs run game.

Now, in the second half the Bucs did work that run game more.

Let's not forget that as good as that Bucs run games was, they couldn't punch it in the end zone on three runs.  

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I think the difference was Tampa’s defensive line and linebackers, but I do think that the running game and the screen game helped open things up for sure

For sure, but if you look at last night's game and even the 2018 AFC championship game where the Pats beat the Chiefs with 4 rushing TD's inside the red zone, the element that a potent rushing game would give the Bills O could have turned 3 FG's against the Chiefs into 3 TD's. That's a 12 point swing in a game we lost by 12. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn't really run the ball until the 3rd. Wasn't like they came out and pounded them. That's where the majority of rushing yards take place. 2nd half of games. A lot of times the game situation dictates how you run the ball. 

Right but you still have to be successful and consistent doing it but minus maybe 2 -3 games we had zero success running with our RB

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Right but you still have to be successful and consistent doing it but minus maybe 2 -3 games we had zero success running with our RB

Minus 2-3 games we really never tried. They did close out a few games running the ball. 

They came into the year with mindset they would pass a lot. I think part of the problem was a lack of commitment and scheme. They went away from what they did last year when Singletary was very effective. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Our RB group is pretty forgetable to be honest.  Neither Moss or Singletary have much burst.  Ronald Jones has more burst, and Fournette is a pounder.  Tampa has a great front 4 pass rush.  They made Mahomes run for his life all nite.  In fact Tampa's defense is better then ours all around.  They played an amazing game last nite front to back.  They pretty much blanketed the KC receivers at all the crucial moments in the game.  Lavonte David and Devin White are much better then Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds.  No contest there.  But the pass rush against Mahomes was fierce.  

Bills would have played the Bucs much tougher then the Chiefs did.  But I think the league saw the blue print for beating the Chiefs.  Knock the snot out of Mahomes.  God I loved that.  Can't stand the hype he gets.  Allen is the guy.  

You have to give a lot more credit to Tampa's O-line.  Motor and Moss would have looked pretty good behind that line and just look at much more time Brady had than Josh had a couple of weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Minus 2-3 games we really never tried. They did close out a few games running the ball. 

They came into the year with mindset they would pass a lot. I think part of the problem was a lack of commitment and scheme. They went away from what they did last year when Singletary was very effective. 

You're correct but It felt like they didn't try because even when they were on fire in the pass game,  we still couldn't run with our backs so Dabol put em on the back burner until late in games when we had a comfortable lead

2 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

You have to give a lot more credit to Tampa's O-line.  Motor and Moss would have looked pretty good behind that line and just look at much more time Brady had than Josh had a couple of weeks ago.

True. 

And the time he had was because KC feared the run game.  With us , they showed zero respect for ours, rightfully so and can basically have the front 4 just focus on getting to the QB. Last night they had to respect TBs run game,  making the front 4 less effective pass rushing 

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

You're correct but It felt like they didn't try because even when they were on fire in the pass game,  we still couldn't run with our backs so Dabol put em on the back burner until late in games when we had a comfortable lead

I don't know. I don't think it was a matter of couldn't based on players. It was scheme and commitment. 

Daboll's job this offseason is figuring out how to mesh the run game to the passing game. Bills offense reminded me of the old Mike Martz lead Rams teams. Just throw a run in there for the heck of it. 

50 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I have not seen Fournette have as good a game as he did last night, than he did all season long.

Anyone advocating for Fournette should really think carefully about that.

yeah - he was bouncing outside when he needed to.  Didnt force anything, took what they gave him, and actually broke tackles.  He hasn't been reliably doing like any of that.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

No two things that cost the Chiefs the game.  

One.  David White.

Two. The Chiefs could not get away with the clutching and grabbing of Tampa's wide receivers as they were able to get away with it against the Bills.

What annoyed me most in the AFCCG was that the Bills coaches upon seeing how it was being called didn't direct our defense to rough up and abuse the Chiefs receivers in the same manner.  And dare the officials to call it on us but let them continue to get away with it.