Any doubt the Tampa running game wasn’t the difference?

I know it’s been said in here multiple times and we can talk about the Chiefs finally starting to get called for their very aggressive style. The ability to run the ball for the Bucs was the big difference in the game. 
 Spags ran the same base defense against the Bucs but their backs made them pay...seems like Daboll had no confidence the Bills could run the ball at all. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know it’s been said in here multiple times and we can talk about the Chiefs finally starting to get called for their very aggressive style. The ability to run the ball for the Bucs was the big difference in the game. 
 Spags ran the same base defense against the Bucs but their backs made them pay...seems like Daboll had no confidence the Bills could run the ball at all. 

I think the difference was Tampa’s defensive line and linebackers, but I do think that the running game and the screen game helped open things up for sure

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That and the Bucs D was getting after Mahomes all night.

• Like (+1) 3

It is not that complicated, Eric Fischer's injury completely compromised the Chiefs O-line which led to Mahomes being under pressure constantly and KC not being able to do much on offense. KC was always going to have to put up points and without their key O-line player it all collapsed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

the Bucs running game allowed Brady to make key passes and keep pressure off Brady.  It was a clear focal point and the ability to run at will killed the clock and kept drives alive for TB.  Conversely, KC's horrid line due to injury kept pressure on Mahomes all night.  KC likely should have run the ball more as they had some success doing that.  But once they fell behind, that became more difficult to do, largely, due to TB running the ball well, moving it and killing clock.  

• Agree 1

Fournette had some really nice runs getting banged around, changing direction, and making something out of nothing at times. Jones is the more speedy option who would find a crease and slip through in a flash. That's what we need. A running back who can burst through the smallest of openings and either gash you for a quick 6-8yds or be off to the races. 

• Agree 1

I knew we'd hear all about the Tampa running.  Good God.

The "difference" was a thousand complex things, not a single easy thing to point to.

Mahomes was clearly hobbled, seemingly more injured (foot) than when he played the Bills in the AFC championship game.  He could hardly run by his standards.  That was a huge factor.

TB consistently got big pressure on Mahomes and knocked him on his butt like 8 or 10 times!  

We couldn't come close to that.

Yes, Tampa did get in some effective runs now and again, but it isn't the key to the game.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What did that have to do with the chiefs not scoring one TD?  In order to win, you have to score a TD (at least one). The Bucs front 4 was the difference imo.  

the chiefs ran a lot more 2-3 LB sets than they did vs us.  Vs the bills niemann played 37% (26 plays) of the snaps and Damien Wilson played 17% (12 plays).  I can’t find the snap count from yesterday yet but I’d bet that their Lbs played a lot more.  

A lot less dime in the SB = not the same as vs us.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I knew we'd hear all about the Tampa running.  Good God.

The "difference" was a thousand complex things, not a single easy thing to point to.

Mahomes was clearly hobbled, seemingly more injured (foot) than when he played the Bills in the AFC championship game.  He could hardly run by his standards.  That was a huge factor.

TB consistently got big pressure on Mahomes and knocked him on his butt like 8 or 10 times!  

We couldn't come close to that.

Yes, Tampa did get in some effective runs now and again, but it isn't the key to the game.

Mahomes was not good throwing the ball when he wasn't pressured either.

• Like (+1) 1

Big difference? I wouldn't say it was THE big difference in the game. In the first 2 series TB didn't really do anything on the ground and the Chiefs inability to score meant they could stay with the running game.

Seems to me the big difference in the games was the Bucs defense.

I thought it played a part early on.  Tampa Bay wasn't moving the ball in the beginning of the first quarter, while trying to push the ball down the field.  

They then came back with 3 straight effective runs, followed by play action off it.  From then on, they're offense found it's rhythm.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I have not seen Fournette have as good a game as he did last night, than he did all season long.

Anyone advocating for Fournette should really think carefully about that.

He didn't really have a defined role. He was much better when Tampa made him the featured RB after Jones injury. 

Fournette probably doesn't make a difference for us this year. But he's a good RB and an upgrade. 

I'd say the RB's were 4th or 5th in the grand scheme of things:

1) Buc's Dline pressure all game (and a depleted o-line for the Chiefs)

2) Mahomes lack of accuracy at the beginning of the game (potentially due to injury)

3) Double high safeties by the bucs on 82% of plays to limit Hill and shrink the field

4) Gronk being the go-to on 3rd and short and the redzone killer

5) RB play to drain the clock towards the end of the game

6) Ref's calling the Chiefs physical style by the book

7) Buc's home game vibe

There are 10-12 factors that played into this game - and I dont really believe the RB play was a factor until the second half (it was 21-6 at half)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He didn't really have a defined role. He was much better when Tampa made him the featured RB after Jones injury. 

Fournette probably doesn't make a difference for us this year. But he's a good RB and an upgrade. 

I watched him play this season and was not impressed.

he saved his best game at the right time, as did the Buccaneers defense.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Their ability to run helped. Their ability to stop the Chiefs offense was the difference though. Buccaneers offense never had to stress because the Chiefs never made it close. 

The Chiefs decided to block the Bucs DL 1v1. That was the difference. They lost the game before it began because of the game plan.