Potential CB #2

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

“Barring a significant change in stances,” Patrick Peterson and the Arizona Cardinals plan on parting ways, making Peterson an unrestricted free agent, per @MattVerderame

Seems like a perfect #2 CB candidate for us. I think they want to groom Dane Jackson for that spot but I could see us looking to bring him in. 

I suspect Peterson as a free agent is more likely to end up bolstering the secondary of a team that stands in the way of a Bills SB win than ending up in Buffalo.   Quality veteran UFA's who might take a discount to chase rings in KC and Tampa are not good news for Buffalo.   I suspect the Bills will try to get out in front of competing for a ring chasing impact veteran by trading something for them rather than have it become a choice of Mahomes, Brady.......or Allen.   Allen is an elite QB but given the choice you can expect players to believe more in the guys with the rings. 

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

If they could get Peterson I'd do it, McD likes competition and any good player welcomes it as well. It would make for a great CB room. 

They're not even in the same ball park in terms of ability. Even as much as Peterson struggled in 2020, I think he'd be perfect for us in our man/zone hybrid scheme. The real problem is that he might get 10M AAV for 2 years in the market.

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

They're not even in the same ball park in terms of ability. Even as much as Peterson struggled in 2020, I think he'd be perfect for us in our man/zone hybrid scheme. The real problem is that he might get 10M AAV for 2 years in the market.

You can have an all world secondary but if you can't get to the QB it's all for naught as you can only hold coverage for so long. So cut Jefferson and Butler and sign a legitimate pass rusher, maybe find a CB in round 2 of the draft and/or find a veteran CB2 to compete with Levi. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

You can have an all world secondary but if you can't get to the QB it's all for naught as you can only hold coverage for so long. So cut Jefferson and Butler and sign a legitimate pass rusher, maybe find a CB in round 2 of the draft and/or find a veteran CB2 to compete with Levi. 

I agree with this, except that neither Levi nor Norman will even be on the roster. They are both F/As, and I don't really see a need for the Bills to resign either, even with an extra 6M in they seem to be speculating about. You could easily replace Levi with a contract friendlier draft pick, and you just elevate Dane Jackson to replace Norman.

To me, getting either Clowney or Ngakoue would be a priority.

• Vomit 1

Bills can generate almost 35M in cap space by cutting Morse, Addison, Brown, Hughes and Jefferson. Maybe you re-structure Hughes to get him down a to a 5M hit so you can sit at 30M. But you gotta be willing to use that space to get an elite EDGE, IMO. And replace those dudes with draft picks, practice squad players who can provide depth, or vet FA who are on the cheaper side

Our current #2 had a better season than Peterson last year, and is 6 years younger.   Add in the fact that Wallace is going to cost 6-10 million dollars less than Peterson and I think its pretty open and shut.  They've done everything they could to sign old cornerbacks to replace Wallace, and for three years straight it hasnt worked.  Much better off just to have Wallace and Dane Jackson compete for the spot than going out and signing a 31 year old man corner that may not fit your defense anyways.

35 minutes ago, appoo said:

I agree with this, except that neither Levi nor Norman will even be on the roster. They are both F/As, and I don't really see a need for the Bills to resign either, even with an extra 6M in they seem to be speculating about. You could easily replace Levi with a contract friendlier draft pick, and you just elevate Dane Jackson to replace Norman.

To me, getting either Clowney or Ngakoue would be a priority.

TBH I'm not a fan of Clowney or Ngakoue. I'd rather get Matt Judon or Bud Dupree. I think Levi is back since he's a RFA he's a guy that won't break the cap to retain if we can free up a few dollars. 

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

TBH I'm not a fan of Clowney or Ngakoue. I'd rather get Matt Judon or Bud Dupree. I think Levi is back since he's a RFA he's a guy that won't break the cap to retain if we can free up a few dollars. 

All in all, it's not a great year for EDGE defenders in FA, as I don't think there's a guy out there who would be a consensus choice, except maybe Shaq Barrett who's going to be a 20M a year guy. I guess that's within the realm of possibility, but it would seriously limit what you can do with the other 10 - 12 players the bills would need - which includes 2 starters on the oline, and a new backer as well, and at least one more WR who can contribute.

Just now, appoo said:

All in all, it's not a great year for EDGE defenders in FA, as I don't think there's a guy out there who would be a consensus choice, except maybe Shaq Barrett who's going to be a 20M a year guy. I guess that's within the realm of possibility, but it would seriously limit what you can do with the other 10 - 12 players the bills would need - which includes 2 starters on the oline, and a new backer as well, and at least one more WR who can contribute.

If we lose Roberts and McKenzie I'd take a chance on Alex Ericson of the Bengals as to me he's a good depth WR/return man. Yet he's not McKenzie's speed so he might need to be replaced with a low round rookie. 

45 minutes ago, appoo said:

In addition to Dupree and Judon, Barrett is a 3-4 OLB type so all of the guys you either quoted or named are in a very different type of Defense than what the Bills run on Defense. I'm not picking at saying the Bills don't need to get better on Defense, but I don't know that any of those three aforementioned names will fit within what the Bills are trying to accomplish on Defense. JMO

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

In addition to Dupree and Judon, Barrett is a 3-4 OLB type so all of the guys you either quoted or named are in a very different type of Defense than what the Bills run on Defense. I'm not picking at saying the Bills don't need to get better on Defense, but I don't know that any of those three aforementioned names will fit within what the Bills are trying to accomplish on Defense. JMO

Against the Chiefs, the Bucs were often in a base 4 down look, and they rarely sent any blitzers. So Barrett played DE in that game the same way McDermott would use him.  Let's not over think this one. Barrett would be perfect for this defense.

(on a related note - Mahomes actually played really well that game. He was pressured on more than 50% of his drop backs, which basically what the Bills did to Lamar Jackson...that fact that he produced the yards/1st downs he did was a testament to his talent. Similar game to Allen in the AFCCG - whom I also gave a lot of credit to)

27 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Excuse me? 

You've got to be average somewhere, and Levi wouldn't be a bad option at that position.