Turning Point in the Game

7 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

The penalties - which were very obviously initiated by the Ref who wanted Brady to win - created a downward spiral.  A few strategically placed flags on crucial 3rd downs change a game completely. 

How do you figure it was obvious that the refs wanted Brady to win?  Maybe the KC defenders could learn to play within the well-established rules and NOT hold the TB WRs every damn play.

Because they could call those penalties on almost every single play - it's a contact sport.  But it's WHICH plays they decided to actually make the calls that can change everything.  It's always The Crucal 3rd and 4th downs and on the Interception and the field goal neutral zone infraction.  Unsportsmanlike Conduct?  That should be on both the players; but never Tommy.  He makes me want to vomit

Edited by Irish Dave
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

I mean, he was running behind the receiver and his incidental contact was with the receiver's feet, causing the receiver to trip.

It doesn't really matter if he meant it. He tripped the receiver. The only thing that can be brought up is whether or not the ball was catchable, because it was quite a bit overthrown, if I recall.

Idk man.....I see breeland and evans running full blast, both looking up at the ball, neither man breaking stride and their feet make contact with each other’s causing breeland to trip, fall and make contact with evans.  I don’t see how anyone could see this any differently.  The contact was incidental.....not on purpose....in stride, while looking at the ball.  I don’t see how this is a trip on purpose 

a) Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is
looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.
(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

• Like (+1) 3

Honestly the turning point in the game was when Eric Fisher got hurt in the AFCCG. Outside of Mahomes Fisher might be the most important player on KC's offense. Fisher would have been or at least had a good chance to block Shaq Barrett one on one which would have helped ease the pressure massively on Mahomes and given him a shot to put up points. Mahomes is a dynamic generational QB but you can only do so much when the defense is getting pressure with the front 4 almost every snap.

41 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The peace I tried to make with "rooting" for Brady was that what difference does a 7th SB win make when he already has 6.  Plus, I will always hate the Pats and their fans...Brady being on a team that really has zero history with the Bills made it a little easier to stomach.

I think the Chiefs and their fans needed to be taken down a peg.  Maybe the dynasty and hall of fame talk from them will die down for a few months.

This is often referred to as the Nick Wright effect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Success said:

Maybe I'm off, but that doesn't seem obviously uncatchable to me. It's hard to tell where he would be without the trip.

I watched it a few times and I feel the same way.  It wasn’t the most obvious example of DPI but also not the most egregious.  

The problem for a lot of Chiefs fans is that those calls didn’t get penalized in the first 2 post season games.  Not sure why. To be honest, I’d be pissed too if I were a Chiefs fan

56 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

the Offside that basically took a FG off the board and made it 14-3 instead of 10-3.

Just a total killer. KC could have easily gone into the half down 10-6, if not for mental errors. 

This was the moment for me as well but I will include some of the prior plays as well.

1.  KC stuffs Jones at the goal line...turnover on downs.  I FULLY expected this to be the moment that Mahomes turned it on and marched down the field.

2.  Kelce drops a pass that hits hit right in the hands on 3rd down.

3.  An absolute bomb of a punt is called back because of an egregious hold.  The subsequent punt goes 29 yards and the Bucs start inside the 40.

4.  VERY suspect defensive holding call negates an INT.

5.  A defender does his Dee Ford impression and lines up Offside on a field goal giving them a first down...TD pass to Gronk on the next play.

59 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought that was the one penalty against the KC secondary they got right. The KC defender (Breeland) had been beaten badly, and that was probably a TD (Evans would likely have caught up with it). Regardless of intent, Breeland clearly tripped him and then collapsed on his feet. taking Evans down with him.  You gotta call that. 

Very good acting job :lol: 

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I thought the game was over when they called DPI when the ball was 5 feet over Evans's head.  The refs gifted TB that touchdown.

I see by subsequent posts that there is some confusion.  I'm talking about the call against Evans in the end zone where Marcia threw the ball into the stands.  The penalty gave the Bucs 1st and goal on the 1 yard line.

yup and literally the play before it, that BS PI call, both the DB and WR were looking back and they tripped on each other....thats a no call all day long.  Back to back gifts, easy TD and game over

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Idk man.....I see breeland and evans running full blast, both looking up at the ball, neither man breaking stride and their feet make contact with each other’s causing breeland to trip, fall and make contact with evans.  I don’t see how anyone could see this any differently.  The contact was incidental.....not on purpose....in stride, while looking at the ball.  I don’t see how this is a trip on purpose 

a) Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is
looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.
(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

My understanding is that it doesn't have to be on purpose. If he's running side by side, they probably don't call it because the DB is playing good defense. But this was a case where the receiver had a clear step on the DB. Intentionally or not, the DB who has been beaten and is about to potentially give up a TD clearly causes him to trip--costing TB a real chance at 7. I thought that ball was catchable. 50/50, but catchable for a guy like Evans.  I have zero problem with that call.

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My understanding is that it doesn't have to be on purpose. If he's running side by side, they probably don't call it because the DB is playing good defense. But this was a case where the receiver had a clear step on the DB. Intentionally or not, the DB who has been beaten and is about to potentially give up a TD clearly causes him to trip--costing TB a real chance at 7. I thought that ball was catchable. 50/50, but catchable for a guy like Evans.  I have zero problem with that call.

Agree to disagree 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It was pretty tone deaf to call the time out after TB got 8-9 yards on 2nd down.  I didn’t have a problem with the first timeout.  But once it was 3rd and short, you let Tampa run out the clock and go in 14-6 and you’re getting the ball in the 2nd half.  

it was dumb because KC was getting second half KO.  Thry shoukd have saw what was done in GB.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

the Offside that basically took a FG off the board and made it 14-3 instead of 10-3.

Just a total killer. KC could have easily gone into the half down 10-6, if not for mental errors. 

This one was one of them for sure.  I thought the first two possessions after the half were also a turning point.  KC limited to 3 followed by 7 from the Bucs.  Even though KC seems to be able to come out of holes quickly for a couple of years now, I felt the game was over at this point.

33 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I won't if Nick will get on Patrick for playing like Josh at all last night. As Mahomes had a few hero ball moments. 

I'm sure when he does it it's because he's amazing though.  Nick will have no problem having a double standard when it comes to those two.