Turning Point in the Game

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought that was the one penalty against the KC secondary they got right. The KC defender (Breeland) had been beaten badly, and that was probably a TD (Evans would likely have caught up with it). Regardless of intent, Breeland clearly tripped him and then collapsed on his feet. taking Evans down with him.  You gotta call that. 

Maybe I'm off, but that doesn't seem obviously uncatchable to me. It's hard to tell where he would be without the trip.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What happened on that play was the definition of incidental contact. 

that said, the turning point was when Fisher got injured 2 weeks ago.  That sent their OL, which was running on fumes, into a nosedive and crash landed the moment they took the field.  The chiefs didn’t stand a chance thanks to that pass rush and lack of blocking 

I mean, he was running behind the receiver and his incidental contact was with the receiver's feet, causing the receiver to trip.

It doesn't really matter if he meant it. He tripped the receiver. The only thing that can be brought up is whether or not the ball was catchable, because it was quite a bit overthrown, if I recall.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

To me, it was the inexplicable time out call by Andy Reid with 40ish seconds left in the first half.  Your team, both offense and defense, has looked like total dog####.  Yet, you are down only 14 -6 and Tampa Bay looks like it will be content to run out the clock and end the half.  Plus Tampa Bay only has one time out left.  Yet, for some reason you call time out after TB's first down play and after TB's second down play!  Even if your "strategy" works, you get the ball back around your own 20 with 30 seconds left and no timeouts.  

With the way Tampa Bay played defense it probably wouldn't have made any difference but if KC had gone into the locker room down one score, regrouped and come out with points to start the second half, maybe it would have made a difference.  When TB scored the touchdown to make it 21 -9 at the half, as Greg Easterbrook would say, I wrote "game over" in my notebook.

yup. this call is Andy Reid believing his own hype a bit too much. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I kept saying that to my wife.  I was actually really happy to see both the Chiefs getting called and how upset their D was getting after getting called, considering how they had their way with all the holding they wanted against us 2 weeks ago.

I actually went into the game planning on rooting against Tom Brady, but found myself rooting against the Chiefs against my better judgement.

Not happy to see Brady with another ring, but I'm also not broken up to see the Chiefs taken down so badly.

41 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

To me, it was the inexplicable time out call by Andy Reid with 40ish seconds left in the first half.  Your team, both offense and defense, has looked like total dog####.  Yet, you are down only 14 -6 and Tampa Bay looks like it will be content to run out the clock and end the half.  Plus Tampa Bay only has one time out left.  Yet, for some reason you call time out after TB's first down play and after TB's second down play!  Even if your "strategy" works, you get the ball back around your own 20 with 30 seconds left and no timeouts.  

With the way Tampa Bay played defense it probably wouldn't have made any difference but if KC had gone into the locker room down one score, regrouped and come out with points to start the second half, maybe it would have made a difference.  When TB scored the touchdown to make it 21 -9 at the half, as Greg Easterbrook would say, I wrote "game over" in my notebook.

Vintage Andy Reid.

Just now, MJS said:

I actually went into the game planning on rooting against Tom Brady, but found myself rooting against the Chiefs against my better judgement.

Not happy to see Brady with another ring, but I'm also not broken up to see the Chiefs taken down so badly.

The peace I tried to make with "rooting" for Brady was that what difference does a 7th SB win make when he already has 6.  Plus, I will always hate the Pats and their fans...Brady being on a team that really has zero history with the Bills made it a little easier to stomach.

I think the Chiefs and their fans needed to be taken down a peg.  Maybe the dynasty and hall of fame talk from them will die down for a few months.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It was pretty tone deaf to call the time out after TB got 8-9 yards on 2nd down.  I didn’t have a problem with the first timeout.  But once it was 3rd and short, you let Tampa run out the clock and go in 14-6 and you’re getting the ball in the 2nd half.  

Or make them use the timeout they had... which they wouldn't have had later after the fournette completion.  Probably a 4 point mistake.

Well, I got nothing at the moment.

So just to be a smart ass: I'll say turning point came when both organizations learned of the weed shortage in Jamaica, per AP.

They figured to close out the game as quickly as possible, thereby getting to work on this important problem toot sweet.

Admittedly, it's just a working theory.

https://apnews.com/article/world-news-jamaica-kingston-coronavirus-pandemic-marijuana-2d9e9c6dbc4d311e7b7085708eca0571

The TB Interception that was over turned by a ticky tack holding penalty and yes the second timeout on third & two, followed by two PI's (second should never have been called and no chance to catch that one for sure).....  29 yards in offense, 42 yards penalties....

Add to that when the Refs decided that close coverage on TB's receivers wouldn't be tolerated.....😉

But KC looked like the Bills did vs. KC, completely lost and unable to adjust.

As great as Mahomes is, he was just too intent to look at only Hill & Kelce all game too.  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What happened on that play was the definition of incidental contact. 

that said, the turning point was when Fisher got injured 2 weeks ago.  That sent their OL, which was running on fumes, into a nosedive and crash landed the moment they took the field.  The chiefs didn’t stand a chance thanks to that pass rush and lack of blocking 

PI doesn't have to be intentional.  It can be incidental.  I wouldn't have been upset if it wasn't called though.  I think it was in the grey where it could have been called either way.

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

They got beat on all phases, though. Penalties only played a small part. Their offense only scored 9 points.

The penalties - which were very obviously initiated by the Ref who wanted Brady to win - created a downward spiral.  A few strategically placed flags on crucial 3rd downs change a game completely. 

• Like (+1) 1

The issue I have with the refs is that calls are totally inconsistent, from week to week and even in the games.

Either way, Tampa was clearly the better team and they won, which as much as I can't stand Brady takes a lot of the sting out of seeing him win. I turned the game off with 2 minutes to go. Couldn't watch the trophy presentation.

Still, a lot of those NE teams won by field goals or stupidity by the other team (Seattle, Atlanta). Those were gut wrenching. Plus it's NE. 

This one was "meh" because Tampa obviously was the better team, so you really can't be too mad. 

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought that was the one penalty against the KC secondary they got right. The KC defender (Breeland) had been beaten badly, and that was probably a TD (Evans would likely have caught up with it). Regardless of intent, Breeland clearly tripped him and then collapsed on his feet. taking Evans down with him.  You gotta call that. 

You think that he clearly tripped him?

I see that evans foot comes back and hits breelands foot, which causes him to trip and subsequently trip evans.  That’s incidental contact imo.  

2 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

The penalties - which were very obviously initiated by the Ref who wanted Brady to win - created a downward spiral.  A few strategically placed flags on crucial 3rd downs change a game completely. 

They all looked legitimate to me.

27 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Good to know our DL couldn't bust an OL running on fumes.

Yeah, it sucks.  Doesn’t hurt that our coverage was allowing the entire KC team to run wide open all game.  Was a poor effort and game plan in our biggest game in 25 years

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It was the last part of the first half.  That's when the Refs decided Tampa was going to win.  The Brady Interception negated was a manufactured Flag.  The "Neutral Zone infraction" was manufactured.  The Pass Interference when the defender tripped was manufactured.  The Refs changed the emotion of the game on those three Flags.  That's all it takes.   That's what they did for YEARS for New England.  Now it's obvious that it's Brady they favor.  Because it's all a script guys.  Did you see how many close ups they kept showing of this guy every 3 minutes?!?  Go to the NFL website.  Every other image is of him.  He's The movie star of the league and that's what sells.  The league is officially designated as an Entertainment Group.  Like WWE.  Not a Sports League.  Look it up.   Brady is Still "The Guy" they want to be the face of the league.

• Dislike 1