Turning Point in the Game

To me, it was the inexplicable time out call by Andy Reid with 40ish seconds left in the first half.  Your team, both offense and defense, has looked like total dog####.  Yet, you are down only 14 -6 and Tampa Bay looks like it will be content to run out the clock and end the half.  Plus Tampa Bay only has one time out left.  Yet, for some reason you call time out after TB's first down play and after TB's second down play!  Even if your "strategy" works, you get the ball back around your own 20 with 30 seconds left and no timeouts.  

With the way Tampa Bay played defense it probably wouldn't have made any difference but if KC had gone into the locker room down one score, regrouped and come out with points to start the second half, maybe it would have made a difference.  When TB scored the touchdown to make it 21 -9 at the half, as Greg Easterbrook would say, I wrote "game over" in my notebook.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

no... IT happened earlier. Defensive penalty after Defensive penalty is what turned this game around.

They got beat on all phases, though. Penalties only played a small part. Their offense only scored 9 points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Wouldn’t have made a difference.  Too many jailbreaks with the tackles out - Mahomes ran for something like 500 yards between the snap and the ball leaving his hand - simply incredible.  Between being undermanned on the offensive line and the officials “surprisingly” calling a tight game (just because, I’m sure, not to help Brady in any way), the Chiefs stood little chance last night.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

They got beat on all phases, though. Penalties only played a small part. Their offense only scored 9 points.

we are talking about the turning point though.. not the entire game in general. While I agree with you, the turning point for me was Defensive Penalty early

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

we are talking about the turning point though.. not the entire game in general. While I agree with you, the turning point for me was Defensive Penalty early

Ok. I guess it was opening kickoff then, for me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

HAHAHA Fair enough lol we will agree to agree huh lol

1 minute ago, MJS said:

you know this is actually a fair assumption because there was no turning point.. it was just one team winning from the second drive on.

• Agree 1

I thought the game was over when they called DPI when the ball was 5 feet over Evans's head.  The refs gifted TB that touchdown.

I see by subsequent posts that there is some confusion.  I'm talking about the call against Evans in the end zone where Marcia threw the ball into the stands.  The penalty gave the Bucs 1st and goal on the 1 yard line.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

That timeout was kind of inexplicable. Once TB gets it to 3rd & short, you abandon the idea of getting the ball back.   There were just over 40 seconds left - the risk/reward isn't there at all in that situation. Even if you get the ball back, with no timeouts, there is a slim chance of scoring.

That basically ended the game.  Looking at twitter, it really harkened back to some of Reid's clock management issues in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I thought the game was over when they called DPI when the ball was 5 feet over Evan's head.  The refs gifted TB that touchdown.

What happened on that play was the definition of incidental contact. 

that said, the turning point was when Fisher got injured 2 weeks ago.  That sent their OL, which was running on fumes, into a nosedive and crash landed the moment they took the field.  The chiefs didn’t stand a chance thanks to that pass rush and lack of blocking 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

that said, the turning point was when Fisher got injured 2 weeks ago.  That sent their OL, that was running on fumes, into a nosedive and crash landed the moment they took the field.  The chiefs didn’t stand a chance thanks to that pass rush and lack of blocking 

I thought that was the one penalty against the KC secondary they got right. The KC defender (Breeland) had been beaten badly, and that was probably a TD (Evans would likely have caught up with it). Regardless of intent, Breeland clearly tripped him and then collapsed on his feet. taking Evans down with him.  You gotta call that. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

that said, the turning point was when Fisher got injured 2 weeks ago.  That sent their OL, which was running on fumes, into a nosedive and crash landed the moment they took the field.  The chiefs didn’t stand a chance thanks to that pass rush and lack of blocking 

Good to know our DL couldn't bust an OL running on fumes.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

And not to mention, the penalties were justified as the KC defenders were mugging the TB WRs.

Absolutely, and it is frustrating that the Bills don't have enough clout to get those calls from the refs, because the same thing happened all game long against the Bills. But I guess Brady is still the top dog in the mind of the refs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Just now, MJS said:

Absolutely, and it is frustrating that the Bills don't have enough clout to get those calls from the refs, because the same thing happened all game long against the Bills. But I guess Brady is still the top dog in the mind of the refs.

I kept saying that to my wife.  I was actually really happy to see both the Chiefs getting called and how upset their D was getting after getting called, considering how they had their way with all the holding they wanted against us 2 weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 1