Priority #1: Large, angry men for the OL and DL

As many of you know, one of my favorite sights is a 350 pound DT in the red, white and blue. It's been too long, so unless Star is putting in the work in the dining room this offseason, it's time to find some guys with God-given enormousness. Size is uncoachable. The anger and rage will come the first time they drive the William/Walden section of the 90 on the way to the Galleria. 

Last night's game reaffirmed, once again, the importance of line play. If we had been in the game it would have looked pretty much the same EXCEPT everyone would be all over Josh Allen for "melting down" and saying it should have been Mahomes and it would have been different, the Bills were pretenders, etc.

Now everyone can plainly see: even the new Rodgers (supposed "best QB in the league") needs blocking and a defense on the other side. 

Luckily, there are some compelling prospects in this draft, and I think it is imperative that we get one large angry man on the OL and one on the DL.

The perfect fits, both 2nd or 3rd rounders:

Aaron Banks, Notre Dame guard. 330 pounds, tough, smart, strong. Good run blocker. Should be there in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round. Can play either guard spot. 

Tedarall Slayton, Florida DT. My prototypical favorite DT. 6'5'', 343 pounds of run stuffing, double team block taking behemoth! Put him next to Oliver and all of a sudden Oliver can get some pass rush because the big man is eating up blocks. Oh, and you want to run up the middle? LOL Good luck, because we can put Star and Slayton next to each other in those situations. 

And if the big man gets free up the middle because you focus on Oliver? Bad things, man...

The Bills have a lot of pieces in place. But what we need now is some more size and strength on the lines, and a commitment to imposing our will and being physical. Added bonus: for 4 years we're not spending big $$ on guards or DT's. 

• Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Great post.  

I remember when the Colts had Manning - and we've seen this in other places:  when a team gets such a good QB, the temptation is to try to acquire skill position players high in the draft & FA.

But success lies in building up the lines. Win those trenches.   That was the Pats blueprint all of those years - outside of Moss, they never went out of their way for skill positions.

And great point about Oliver.  The better all of the players are on the line, the better everyone is. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

That's all well and good, but the reality is Buffalo will just dumpster-dive Carolina's roster

I don't think so... From a practical perspective there's not much left from when Beane and McDermott were there. 

Plus, the team is in a new phase of the build now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

That's all well and good, but the reality is Buffalo will just dumpster-dive Carolina's roster

just stop....

We got a lot of players from other teams the last few years.. If someone from carolina fits? fine but I would not call it dumpster diving..

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

Size is nice, but athleticism on the interior of our OL (or lack there of) is what cost us a trip to the Superbowl. An investment into some dominant edge rushers is much needed as well.

We have some pretty athletic interior lineman. Morse may be the best center on the move. They schemed a lot of center movement blocks out of the offense this year for whatever reason. If they bring Morse back they need to get back to what he did his 1st year here. Get him out in space. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We have some pretty athletic interior lineman. Morse may be the best center on the move. They schemed a lot of center movement blocks out of the offense this year for whatever reason. If they bring Morse back they need to get back to what he did his 1st year here. Get him out in space. 

Was referring more to our guard spots.

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As many of you know, one of my favorite sights is a 350 pound DT in the red, white and blue. It's been too long, so unless Star is putting in the work in the dining room this offseason, it's time to find some guys with God-given enormousness. Size is uncoachable. The anger and rage will come the first time they drive the William/Walden section of the 90 on the way to the Galleria. 

Last night's game reaffirmed, once again, the importance of line play. If we had been in the game it would have looked pretty much the same EXCEPT everyone would be all over Josh Allen for "melting down" and saying it should have been Mahomes and it would have been different, the Bills were pretenders, etc.

Now everyone can plainly see: even the new Rodgers (supposed "best QB in the league") needs blocking and a defense on the other side. 

Luckily, there are some compelling prospects in this draft, and I think it is imperative that we get one large angry man on the OL and one on the DL.

Aaron Banks, Notre Dame guard. 330 pounds, tough, smart, strong. Good run blocker. Should be there in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round. Can play either guard spot. 

Tedarall Slayton, Florida DT. My prototypical favorite DT. 6'5'', 343 pounds of run stuffing, double team block taking behemoth! Put him next to Oliver and all of a sudden Oliver can get some pass rush because the big man is eating up blocks. Oh, and you want to run up the middle? LOL Good luck, because we can put Star and Slayton next to each other in those situations. 

And if the big man gets free up the middle because you focus on Oliver? Bad things, man...

The Bills have a lot of pieces in place. But what we need now is some more size and strength on the lines, and a commitment to imposing our will and being physical. Added bonus: for 4 years we're not spending big $$ on guards or DT's. 

I’ve been focusing on Slayton and I’m totally sold on this guy. The way he gets off the snap, his hand fighting and his ability to move for a big man is impressive. I would have no problem taking this guy anywhere in the draft but if we could trade back into the early 2nd rd and still get him it would be ideal

I am not sure where we got the idea that our Offensive line isnt full of huge men.    Morse is for sure the smallest of the bunch, but he is still 6'6 305, which isnt small for a center.   Otherwise you have four starters who are above league average in terms of weight.  Across the front you have, Dawkins at 320, Ford at 329, Morse at 305, Feliciano at 323, and Williams at 330.  They arent small, they just dont run block that well.   They also have two backs behind them that take FOREVER to hit the hole.  Size isnt the issue on the oline, the issue is they have no speed at running back.

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’ve been focusing on Slayton and I’m totally sold on this guy. The way he gets off the snap, his hand fighting and his ability to move for a big man is impressive. I would have no problem taking this guy anywhere in the draft but if we could trade back into the early 2nd rd and still get him it would be ideal

The thought of Slayton and Oliver crashing the Super Bowl party week 1 in Tampa is amazing!

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not sure where we got the idea that our Offensive line isnt full of huge men.    Morse is for sure the smallest of the bunch, but he is still 6'6 305, which isnt small for a center.   Otherwise you have four starters who are above league average in terms of weight.  Across the front you have, Dawkins at 320, Ford at 329, Morse at 305, Feliciano at 323, and Williams at 330.  They arent small, they just dont run block that well.   They also have two backs behind them that take FOREVER to hit the hole.  Size isnt the issue on the oline, the issue is they have no speed at running back.

I didn't say we didn't have any size. I want to ADD more to what we have!

Especially at DT. 

Can you honestly say that the thought of a 340+ pound DT lining up on our DL next year doesn't make you smile? 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Really perfect timing.  At 9:54 AM today I emailed the following to my 2 sons (big Bills fans, of course).

Guys

I supposed that you watched at least some of the Super Bowl yesterday and if you did you saw a drubbing.  Tell you what; the domination was based on one thing, line play.  The Bucs DL-men lived in Mahomes' face all night.  OTOH after the first series or two Brady had lots and lots of time.

My point?  DRAFT LINEMEN!!  Yeah, like at least 3 or 4 of them.  Along with free agents the Bills should bolster the DL by a couple and OL by a couple.

That's it!!

Dad

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1