A complete offense matters

Did anyone see the game yesterday and still doubt the need for a running game? TB forced KC into having to pass every down since they couldn't/didn't run the ball. When KC needed to make a stop, TB would get chunks of yardage on runs. This matters. You can't put all the pressure on one player to be perfect on every down. KC looked like what we looked like 2 weeks ago. Yes there were more factors involved, but when you have zero run game, you are at a disadvantage. Hopefully Beane addresses the running game in the draft because nobody fears it as it is now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Absolutely correct. Our oline needs to be better at pass protection as well as run blocking. People are talking about how good Brady was last night, they should be talking about how good the oline was. Brady like most Qb’s isn’t even average when his line doesn’t perform. But he still can play when they do. Put Allen on TB last night and they score even more, maybe every drive.

i hope Bean understands this , O & D line improvement is paramount for this team’s success moving forward.

Edited by Meatloaf63
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Since hindsight is always 20-20, In the 2015 draft we picked Darby, later that round Marpet, who played college in the Bills home area, was available, he was a STUD yesterday.  Whaley and Wrecks didn't know what they were doing.  Marpet is 27, has a lot of good years left. Guess the front office figured Incognito was sane.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

Did anyone see the game yesterday and still doubt the need for a running game? TB forced KC into having to pass every down since they couldn't/didn't run the ball. When KC needed to make a stop, TB would get chunks of yardage on runs. This matters. You can't put all the pressure on one player to be perfect on every down. KC looked like what we looked like 2 weeks ago. Yes there were more factors involved, but when you have zero run game, you are at a disadvantage. Hopefully Beane addresses the running game in the draft because nobody fears it as it is now. 

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Absolutely correct. Our oline needs to be better at pass protection as well as run blocking. People are talking about how good Brady was last night, they should be talking about how good the oline was. Brady like most Qb’s isn’t even average when his lune doesn’t perform. But he still can play when they do. Put Allen on TB last night and they score even more, maybe every drive.

It not just run blocking it having a explosive RB who hits the hole,  neither Singeltary or Moss provide that.  Beane is not going to change the line because our RB'S are both too slow,  too many other needs.  The focus should be retooling out defence and getting an explosive RB who makes big plays

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We have a Pro Bowl RB!  He just happens to be the same guy that THROWS the ball, too.  It’s not like QB designed runs are dangerous or something.  It’s not like history or statistics show it’s a bad idea to run your QB.  It’s not like a QB’s play improves or something with the addition of someone who can block or catch.  Want, want, want. There’s just no pleasing fans these days.

/end sarcasm

Draft a damn difference making RB, please!

• Like (+1) 1

The Bucs ran the ball well last night, but they also had the 28th ranked rushing attack this season. I’m not convinced that Fournette and Jones are that much better than our guys. I’ve been critical of our o line, but it might just be a matter of Tampa sticking with the run that allowed it to be effective. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, FieldGeneral said:

Yes...I am totally on board with this now.  We don't have to run it a LOT but we have to be able to run it effectively when we need to. Them being in 2nd and short to medium because they were gaining 4-8 yards on runs was very important to keeping that offense moving and allowing Brady to keep dumping the ball off for 6 yards to the RBs to move the chains.

The Bills aren't going to run it a lot, but they need to do it a lot better when it comes time to actually take advantage of matchups.  They might like using the hammer a lot more but when they need a saw, they better make sure he blade is sharp

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

It not just run blocking it having a explosive RB who hits the hole,  neither Singeltary or Moss provide that.  Beane is not going to change the line because our RB'S are both too slow,  too many other needs.  The focus should be retooling out defence and getting an explosive RB who makes big plays

Fournette is available.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Fournette is available.  

He is and he's only mid-20's right now.  Although he didn't put up good numbers this year, it was in limited carries and snaps.  He's a powerful runner and I think he's very underrated out of the backfield as a pass catcher as well (over 500 yards with Jax last year).  He's probably looking for 8-10 million after that Super Bowl performance though.  

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely 

Mahomes had to play how Josh has to play nearly every game and he looked awful. 110 yards after 3 qtrs! 

And I truly believe this-

That simply isn't true.  The KC games the OLine looked terrible but for the most part they were VERY GOOD at pass pro this year. People need to stop with this revisionist history BS and trying to act like because the line looked terrible both games against KC that it was like that all year long.  It wasn't.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, TUBSTER said:

He is and he's only mid-20's right now.  Although he didn't put up good numbers this year, it was in limited carries and snaps.  He's a powerful runner and I think he's very underrated out of the backfield as a pass catcher as well (over 500 yards with Jax last year).  He's probably looking for 8-10 million after that Super Bowl performance though.  

In this economy?  8 would be high to me.  Gordon got 2yr 16 last year (with a higher cap), after almost 1000 yards and 10 TDs the previous year.  I'd guess maybe 6.  Either way, possibly still too rich.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

So does a very good pass rush and defense.... I think fixing the rushing offense will be a lot easier to fix than the Bills defense. They are just missing a lot of hard pieces to find/afford upfront and their scheme leaves a lot to be desired at times. The better offenses destroy it. 

Our defense certainly needs more difference makers. We have good pieces but we don’t really have any game changers on D outside of Tre.

No doubt having a solid running game makes a difference and that was visible in the game last night. But I don't think you can draw a direct comparison between the AFC Championship and Super Bowl. The application of rules around holding were night and day. I'm not saying that's why we lost but I am saying that what drew a flag in one game didn't in the other. When DBs can play more physically it's easier to keep the safeties up high. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

No doubt having a solid running game makes a difference and that was visible in the game last night. But I don't think you can draw a direct comparison between the AFC Championship and Super Bowl. The application of rules around holding were night and day. I'm not saying that's why we lost but I am saying that what drew a flag in one game didn't in the other. When DBs can play more physically it's easier to keep the safeties up high. 

Yes, the Bucs won with defense, Brady, and a great supporting cast of receivers this year. They didn’t have a good running game this season. They were in an excellent rushing team in the Super Bowl, but one game isn’t always indicative of a team. Everything went right in the Super Bowl for the Bucs, because everything fell in place perfectly. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

What is showed me is what knew to be true all along WAS true

If your whole offense is based around ONE player......eventually a good DC will find a way to shut that player down no matter HOW good they are

Ask yourself this

- When KC and their "sticky defense" (in other words.......holding defense that wasnt getting called took away our passing game.........if we could actually run the ball for first downs...I am not even talking about 200 yards rushing or whatever....I am simply talking about the ability to get first downs WITHOUT Josh doing it...that game would have looked much different.  Yes KC would have still scored points (I will be addressing this in a minute) but you take away KC's time of possession......and you force KC to have to come down and play the run......allowing Josh to throw

- We will NEVER beat KC unless we can put a defense on the field that gets CONSISTANT pressure without having to blitz.....you wont shut them out....but you can force some punts....the DL MUST be improved.

So.....improve the running game.....and improve the DL.....and lets get to the next step of the journey

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

The Bucs ran the ball well last night, but they also had the 28th ranked rushing attack this season. I’m not convinced that Fournette and Jones are that much better than our guys. I’ve been critical of our o line, but it might just be a matter of Tampa sticking with the run that allowed it to be effective. 

Well if that's the case then our o-lineman and/or RBs really blow. Or maybe Daboll just fell in love with Josh doing everything, which is pure insanity. I'm kinda glad we didn't play in that SB last night because we saw on full display how "not ready" we are.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That simply isn't true.  The KC games the OLine looked terrible but for the most part they were VERY GOOD at pass pro this year. People need to stop with this revisionist history BS and trying to act like because the line looked terrible both games against KC that it was like that all year long.  It wasn't.

Good post.  Our OL allowed Josh to stand tall in the pocket and shoot lasers out of his arm like the mandolorian.  More often than not, our pass protection was good to very good imo.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Except when it mattered our line couldn’t protect Allen, and if you can’t protect your Qb you are dead in the water, no better example than last night. And honestly there are very few holes created for our running backs to run through. The line is a problem whether you admit it or not.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

His line was not in tact last night, that was the problem for the KC offense...

• Agree 1

If there was one lesson I came away with from watching this game it's how important generating consistent pressure while rushing 4 guys is. 

The Chiefs finished with 17 rushes for 107 yards. The Bucs had 33 rushes for 145 yards.

It's not like the Chiefs had a lot of garbage time rushing yards either. They were pretty effective at running the ball all night. Their offense sputtered because Mahomes was running for his life almost every play

• Like (+1) 1