Pass Rush was the difference between Super Bowl and AFC Championship Game

cage

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Let’s not forget that both of KC’s starting Tackles were out.  They had a backup at RT against Buffalo, then their  LT got hurt at the end of the AFC championship.   

Bucs should have sat Pierre-Paul & Suh to make things fair. 

• Eyeroll 1

When it comes to winning championships, the no brainers are QB and coach.  With few exceptions, you need very good to great in both roles.

But pass rush is probably a very close 3rd.  It seems like every team that has hoisted the Lombardi at the end has one of the better ones in the league. There is no substitute for being able to harry and hurry an opposing QB & keep them under pressure all game, especially if you can build a lead.

And it's our biggest area of weakness. Our top guy had 5 sacks all season.  Beane knows what he has to do here.

3 hours ago, cage said:

I'd love to see some comparative analysis by Cover1 or JoeB/MattF at The Athletic, but one of the things jumping out at me is what a difference pass rush makes.  People can talk about Allen and Brady all they want, but the relentless effectiveness of Tampa's pass rushing was the MVP of the Super Bowl and the lack of it made the AFC Championship game so frustrating.  That's where our drafting needs to focus...

Just a point about the Buc's front four.  They were able to bring relentless pressure with 4 using Shaq Barret a lot off the edge.

From the Bucs depth chart.  Substitute Rakeem Nunes-Roches (KC 6th round pick back in 2015) for Vea.

image.png.1e5165b4e1f579ac53c9aac5f7bb3608.png

Suh and Pierre-Paul are 1st round picks on the far side of 30 with their 2nd team.  Shaq Barrett, that human wrecking ball we saw in action, was an UDFA.  Gholston was a TB 4th round pick back in 2013.

Barrett, Suh, Nunes-Roches, and David are all FA.

The Bucs have cap space ($28k) but they've got work to do.

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

not the only difference....

coverage on hill and kelsay was superior to our game.....

Yes, but....if the QB doesn't have time to run around and wait for them to get open or to stand in the pocket and move the DBs around with his eyes, it's surprising how much better the coverage looks.  Just sayin'

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

That was some of the worst offensive line play I’ve seen in years. It’s hard to imagine that wasn’t the lone story line all week. Those guys couldn’t block anyone! Mahomes didn’t stand a chance and his coaches didn’t have an answer. 

The KC line was running on backups all season so it sort of passed under the radar, but it turns out losing Eric Fisher late in the 4th Q of the AFC Champ was the "straw" that broke them.

• Like (+1) 1

Another big difference in the game from my perspective is the officiating of the game when KC was defending.  The muggings that KC did to the Bills receivers were let go by the officials in the AFC Championship game.  However, in the Super Bowl,  the identical plays were being called as PI or holding  The only exception to this generalization was the call where the KC guy virtually tackled the Bucs wr from behind just tripping him up. That would have been called in either game.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Let’s not forget that both of KC’s starting Tackles were out.  They had a backup at RT against Buffalo, then their  LT got hurt at the end of the AFC championship.   

Yet the Bills still couldn’t touch Mahomes in that game 

Edited by Solomon Grundy

7 hours ago, cage said:

I'd love to see some comparative analysis by Cover1 or JoeB/MattF at The Athletic, but one of the things jumping out at me is what a difference pass rush makes.  People can talk about Allen and Brady all they want, but the relentless effectiveness of Tampa's pass rushing was the MVP of the Super Bowl and the lack of it made the AFC Championship game so frustrating.  That's where our drafting needs to focus...

And they didn't blitz much either.  They were getting the pressure with just four.