Pass Rush was the difference between Super Bowl and AFC Championship Game

cage

I'd love to see some comparative analysis by Cover1 or JoeB/MattF at The Athletic, but one of the things jumping out at me is what a difference pass rush makes.  People can talk about Allen and Brady all they want, but the relentless effectiveness of Tampa's pass rushing was the MVP of the Super Bowl and the lack of it made the AFC Championship game so frustrating.  That's where our drafting needs to focus...

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was the ball game 💯 

TB whipping the undermanned KC OL

i mentioned in another thread, while Brady is certainly the GOAT, I could’ve QB’d the Bucs to a win last night.  

In Brady’s last two championships, his defenses game up 12 combined points and zero TDs.  

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like TB played the way we played the Chiefs the first time around. Play deep, make every throw difficult on Mahomes and make them beat you by winning at the LOS. But against us they dominated in the trenches, while Tampa Bay dominated them. I think upgrading he D-line effectiveness will be paramount this season

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pass rush, or lack of blocking? Weren't the Chiefs missing 3 of their offensive linemen? Mahomes is the best there is and he is surrounded by fast, talented skill players. Even he couldn't do anything without solid protection. 

I make the case that not much as changed when it comes to blocking. For years on end (not recently because it has improved) I was on this board screaming about the lack of resources that were devoted to the OL. This game was a shining example of what happens when a team cannot block.

Hey, the Chiefs were minus three points despite the injuries. Oddsmakers and the betting public concluded that Mahomes is just so great that he would win despite the OL being decimated by injuries. Yeah, well they were destroyed up front and got their butts kicked all over the field, Mahomes and all. This game brought back painful memories of players such as Trey Teague, Mike Pucillo, Jerry Ostroski, Langston Walker, Terrance Pennington, Demetress Bell, and scads of other horrible players that our offensive line used to consist of. It was almost like PTSD lol.

The game is over and I don't care who won. Now the Buffalo Bills have a great quarterback. I hope that Beane and co. continue to devote the necessary resources to protecting him. I think that they will. 👍

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, cage said:

I'd love to see some comparative analysis by Cover1 or JoeB/MattF at The Athletic, but one of the things jumping out at me is what a difference pass rush makes.  People can talk about Allen and Brady all they want, but the relentless effectiveness of Tampa's pass rushing was the MVP of the Super Bowl and the lack of it made the AFC Championship game so frustrating.  That's where our drafting needs to focus...

but getting a big time pass rusher at 30 cannot happen... these are top 5 pick type guys

40 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

The pass rush was 100% responsible for that win. A pass rush would change this defense so much and really elevate a couple guys play. 

There is no player on this roster that qualifies as am elite pass rusher,  Beane needs to cut 3-4 defensive guys who carry huge cap money and get a couple of play makers on defence.  Milano is free to walk if he thinks he deserves anything more than 7-8 mill,  in fact David for the Bucs is a free agents who i would love to see in a Bills uniform.  End of the day our defence was a problem all season long,  covering TE'S was a problem all season long

1 hour ago, cage said:

TOTALLY AGREE

1 hour ago, cage said:

Spot on. I suspect Beane knows this too.

10 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

but getting a big time pass rusher at 30 cannot happen... these are top 5 pick type guys

Not necessarily. Sometimes they slip through the cracks. Right now, according to the draftniks, Quincy Roche is slated to be available around 30. He’s been a very good pass rusher in college. 

1 hour ago, cage said:

Yup. Need to build up the trenches on both sides of the ball. You saw it last night how TB made Mahomes uncomfortable in the pocket. The Giants did the same thing to Brady twice in the big game. The Ravens during the Lewis era gave Brady trouble as well with their front 4. The Bills need a better front 4 that can get to the QB. Need to improve the OL as well. Tampa was able to run the ball on the Chiefs which made for a balanced offense. Beane has his work cut out for him but we are getting there. The Bills are close and I think they will win a SB within the next 3-4 years but hopefully sooner.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Yup. Need to build up the trenches on both sides of the ball. You saw it last night how TB made Mahomes uncomfortable in the pocket. The Giants did the same thing to Brady twice in the big game. The Ravens during the Lewis era gave Brady trouble as well with their front 4. The Bills need a better front 4 that can get to the QB. Need to improve the OL as well. Tampa was able to run the ball on the Chiefs which made for a balanced offense. Beane has his work cut out for him but we are getting there. The Bills are close and I think they will win a SB within the next 3-4 years but hopefully sooner.

If Beane can upgrade at the TE position and improve the interior of both offensive/defensive lines, the Bills can be in SB next season. I’d draft another young pass rusher, but I think AJ and Hughes/Addison can bring pressure from the outside. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

The pass rush was 100% responsible for that win. A pass rush would change this defense so much and really elevate a couple guys play. 

The problem is some fans on this get emotionally attached to players and don't understand that our defence has no play makers other then maybe White.  You need to add play makers if you plan on beating KC and getting to the Super Bowl to win it.  Guys like Addison/Jefferson/Butler ,  any or all need to be cut.  We need to retool this defence and get real RB. I would also consider cutting one of the two safeties and replacing with someone who has speed,  because both guys are too slow

I was surprised Fatrick Duck Waddle Mahomes couldn’t 20 yard back peddle roll out every play & lead his team to victory. 

Josh Allen faced similar pressure two weeks ago and did more individually to evade pressure and run than The Duck did last night. 

Under similar pressure and with no run game support or All-Pro TE, Josh Allen at least put up 24 points, and a respectable 288 yards 2TDs/1INT, 7 rushes for 88 yards. The Duck looked exposed for the first time in his NFL career. I like what the Bucs said: “gimmicky” offense.