Josh Allen will be the best QB in the league with a running game

JerseyBills

Mahomes played how Josh has to play every week.

0 TD 2 INT 9 points 49 pass attempts 270 yards

His RB got 69 yards on 11 carries

Defense could play pass , focus on Patty every play basically. Josh literally deals with this every game. 

Brady got 26 carries and 150 yds from his RBs. 

If Josh gets even a decent run game,  him and this already elite O will become unstoppable. 

He'll outplay Mahomes. He'll win Lombardis. 

The run game should be priority #1 going into next season,  I truly think Josh would be unstoppable.  

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Defense could play pass , focus on Patty every play basically. Josh literally deals with this every game. 

If Josh gets even a decent run game,  him and this already elite O will become unstoppable. 

The run game should be priority #1 going into next season,  I truly think Josh would be unstoppable.  

If the Bills OL was even close to elite they would already have a running game.  More speed at RB will help but maybe the blocking could be better?  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

If the Bills OL was even close to elite they would already have a running game.  More speed at RB will help but maybe the blocking could be better?  

Whatever the F.O determines it is , fix it. Make it priority 1. 

I think it'd make that much of a difference to an already elite offense 

Even if it means decent amount of cap space.. We'd have such an elite offense,  that we could afford to have the same defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Allen looked a whole lot better with no protection than Mahomes did.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Mahomes has a tight end that is literally impossible to cover i would argue he still had it easier than what josh has every week lol 90% of his passing yards pre garbage time were to a wide open Travis kelce 

39 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Whatever the F.O determines it is , fix it. Make it priority 1. 

I think it'd make that much of a difference to an already elite offense 

Even if it means decent amount of cap space.. We'd have such an elite offense,  that we could afford to have the same defense. 

That seems tough to make priority 1 as our defense was just straight up dreadful and none of our offensive linemen were particularly good at run blocking.  This should be an interesting offseason.  I dont think we could afford to have that same defense if we want to win a super bowl.  Your offense just isn't gonna carry you 3 - 4 times in a row against the best teams in the nfl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree we need a running game...and I don't think our backs we have on the roster will do anything even with a good O-Line. Where we are drafting in this draft I say get a running back. That is the only position we can attack where a quality player will be available in the upcoming draft that will help our O right away. Our O-line is good enough to run block we just don't run enough. They need to get in step with each other and we just don't run the ball enough for them to get in Sync. During the post season for a snap shot of our offense we threw the ball 68% (120 pass attempts) of the time and ran the ball 31% (55 carries). Even further (45% of our running plays were by the QB 25 carries). How many of those carries were pass plays that broke down I don't know. I think we need to mix it up a little more and when we call a run play give it to our backs. We need to draft a big back that can move the pile even if there is nothing there to get 2 yards. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

I agree we need a running game...and I don't think our backs we have on the roster will do anything even with a good O-Line. Where we are drafting in this draft I say get a running back. That is the only position we can attack where a quality player will be available in the upcoming draft that will help our O right away. Our O-line is good enough to run block we just don't run enough. They need to get in step with each other and we just don't run the ball enough for them to get in Sync. During the post season for a snap shot of our offense we threw the ball 68% (120 pass attempts) of the time and ran the ball 31% (55 carries). Even further (45% of our running plays were by the QB 25 carries). How many of those carries were pass plays that broke down I don't know. I think we need to mix it up a little more and when we call a run play give it to our backs. We need to draft a big back that can move the pile even if there is nothing there to get 2 yards. 

I'm with you.  I'd rather have an effective banger than a speed guy.  I'm not sold on Moss.  No pop.  Maybe it was the toe injury.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.  

Mahomes is still better than Josh but, as indicated by many experts even after the Championship game the gap isn't nearly as large as some wanted to make out. A few of us, including me, had a slight wobble after that game even though Josh hardly disgraced himself - but yesterday showed what happens to a Quarterback when their OL disappears, and Mahomes didn't look any better than Josh. Indeed, thanks to experience, Josh seems far more comfortable behind a non-existent OL than Mahomes.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I'm with you.  I'd rather have an effective banger than a speed guy.  I'm not sold on Moss.  No pop.  Maybe it was the toe injury.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.  

I agree with you on Moss and I think it's weird that they bill him as a short yardage guy. He was a shifty back in college and Singletary is a YAC runner, but they seem to think they both do the opposite. Williams looked way more impressive either way. Sometimes I think they try to strike non-power 5 conference gold too much. 

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Mahomes has a tight end that is literally impossible to cover i would argue he still had it easier than what josh has every week lol 90% of his passing yards pre garbage time were to a wide open Travis kelce 

That seems tough to make priority 1 as our defense was just straight up dreadful and none of our offensive linemen were particularly good at run blocking.  This should be an interesting offseason.  I dont think we could afford to have that same defense if we want to win a super bowl.  Your offense just isn't gonna carry you 3 - 4 times in a row against the best teams in the nfl.

Awesome post!! Get Josh a capable TE and he’s at the top. The Bills simply did not have a consistent contributor at the TE position 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I said it in another post, but watching Mahomes last night made me realize what we have in Josh.  The guy carried our team to wins multiple times this year.  If you get him a little more help he is easily a Super Bowl QB and league MVP.

Great players have the ability to elevate the play of others.  For whatever reason, Mahomes didn't do that last night even though he benefits from being surrounded by highly skilled athletes at every skill position on the field.  With the exception of Diggs, Allen does not.  Josh just seemed to will his way to wins at times during the season.  And his leadership attributes are clear.  The team rallies around him and feeds off his energy.  The team has assumed his identity. 

While the QB is the de facto leader of the team I don't see Mahomes as having the same leadership qualities.  That's not to diminish his style, leadership, or play which is outstanding.  But if I had to choose one going into 2021 I'd pick Allen.     

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

They need maulers at guard.  Beane basically said Ford will be a starter next year, have to assumer guard.  They like him.

I think Morse is a goner.  Feliciano moves to center and then get a guard in FA or a within a day 2 pick.  We got pushed around in the run game too much.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Then we need to overhaul our OL.  You better be able to do both, pass protect and run block. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I agree with you on Moss and I think it's weird that they bill him as a short yardage guy. He was a shifty back in college and Singletary is a YAC runner, but they seem to think they both do the opposite. Williams looked way more impressive either way. Sometimes I think they try to strike non-power 5 conference gold too much. 

I’m not ready to put too much stock into Williams.  Want to see him in a different context (i.e., against a team that hadn’t been run over and quit).  But your point about non-power 5 gold is an excellent one and well taken.  

Back in the day I did some work with some MLB scouts in Buffalo.  They had a “rule of thumb” question about pitchers: what’s the pitch that’s going to get him to the big leagues?  The one really unique talent that either of our guys have is Singletary’s balance.  But otherwise these guys look like they have 91 mph FBs that can’t support a change with average control and a mediocre breaking ball.  Point being, they don’t have the qualities to be difference makers.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know Beane has done a great job adding to the interior OL but If Beane wants to win a super bowl we need to continue to upgrade the interior OL. Don't rely on Cody Ford. I know he loves him some Cody Ford. If Ford works out great, but we have to upgrade there.

I'm with you.  Cody Ford was not on the injury report for arm or shoulder injuries, but there were run blocks where he was easily shed or beaten where it looked like his hand placement sucked. 

Now perhaps injuries are to blame but when you have a 3rd year guy where the GM says "he's played more games injured than healthy", that's a durability concern IMO.