Would the Bills have beaten the Bucs?

QB Bills

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We can always re-write history, I guess.  If last night's game was a close one, sure, we could speculate that the Bills may have had a win.

But it wasn't.  It was a complete manhandling.  Josh in the second half of the Chiefs game was facing serial jailbreaks, just like Mahomes (I don't but that Mahomes is inferior at going through progressions under duress) and the result was similar. 

The Bills would have had no answer for Devon White, JPP, and Shaq Barrett---- just like the Chiefs.  You think Feliciano, Williams, etc got slapped around by the Chiefs front 7??  Imagine how the Bucs would have their way with them...

The packers were pretty close to beating the champs. 😂

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The packers were pretty close to beating the champs. 😂

Loll the bucs have looked bad frequently this whole well the chiefs beat us and they beat the chiefs so they would've killed us argument may or may not be valid.  I guess we'll have a chance to prove it next year.  I feel a lot better about this supposed chiefs dynasty never materializing last night was an absolute failure from top to bottom from them.  They have been skating by on raw talent alone and the bucs came in and punched them in the mouth and andy Reid just completely imploded.  I feel bad for mahomes though they did not help him out at all.  They couldve hung around in that game and maybe given themselves a chance but they coached themselves right out of the game 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Loll the bucs have looked bad frequently this whole well the chiefs beat us and they beat the chiefs so they would've killed us argument may or may not be valid.  I guess we'll have a chance to prove it next year.  I feel a lot better about this supposed chiefs dynasty never materializing last night was an absolute failure from top to bottom from them.  They have been skating by on raw talent alone and the bucs came in and punched them in the mouth and andy Reid just completely imploded.  I feel bad for mahomes though they did not help him out at all.

I feel bad for Rodgers. We was closer to a championship team this year than Mahomes was.  They may have won if lafleur wasn’t an idiot.  Still can’t believe he gave the ball to Brady and trusted his defense to win the game for them.  And then for lafleur to fire Petine after the fact....just terrible 

27 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Josh took a couple big sacks that were probably avoidable in hindsight but daboll made a lot of adjustments at halftime moving to a more short to intermediate passing game and getting yeldon involved...the chiefs just let mahomes get butchered all night.  Also Andy Reid called the worst timeout in history lol not to mention we max protect a lot by design...the chiefs were forced into that situation which really eliminates 75% of their playbook.  Allowing defensive holding is absolutely devastating to our offense so if thats going to continue in the playoffs going forward we will have to make some changes 

Run it.  They went with 6 DBs against our 11 personnel - Should be able to get some gains there.  They doubled digs and bease depending on the situation.  I think brown and davis both being banged up prevented them from ever really considering going with a 2 high look against us unless it was 3rd and forever.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Run it.  They went with 6 DBs against our 11 personnel - Should be able to get some gains there.  They doubled digs and bease depending on the situation.  I think brown and davis both being banged up prevented them from ever really considering going with a 2 high look against us unless it was 3rd and forever.

Yea I think offensive coordinators are too stubborn in general...daboll made adjustments in that chiefs game it was just too late. I feel like after halftime we ripped off a few nice runs and went to a more intermediate passing game until we went down 3 scores and really couldn't anymore.  We like to max protect and run those crossing routes and when the dbs are being handsy theres just not that many options to make a play.    The chiefs looked like they went down without making any adjustments last night and they just let mahomes get absolutely abused.  The dude was taking 47 step drops after awhile lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

I really hope McD and Beane really looked close at Tampa last night.  I said in my posts before the loss to KC that we had to have a running game to win vs KC.  Guess what we did not run or even try and utilize our RB's at all, and just less than 10 touches is a joke. Our O-game plan sucked.  I also said that the Bills were a enigma because we were the only team in the 2020 playoffs to get out rushed in every single playoff game and make it to the Conf Champ Game.  

Buffalo being so one sided on passing with no rushing game and expecting to beat the Buc's in a SB matchup is a complete fantasy...   meaning  Dream-on....

We had zero chance beating the Buc's the way they played last night.  None at all. 

We have way to much work to do on our D to compete at the level Tampa's D played at last night.

Our entire LB core is crap compared to Tampa's and if you could not see that in this game last night, then you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. 

Again I mentioned this in another of of my post about Edmunds vs the Buc's LB's. 

This is why our D line is Meh especially with what we paid for this D-Front 4.  Our LB's are only just average at best, even Milano can't be mentioned as as elite LB, He really is above average at best and injury prone.  He is not in the same league as Devin White,  that's for damn sure.     We need to stop offering average D-line players premium pay upgrades for a spot on the Defensive line, it has not worked!!  Not having the ability to rush or knockdown opposing QB's with any level of consistency has been even bigger liability to this team, this coming season this needs to be addressed.

We would have gotten embarrassed in the SB playing the Buc's.  Like the we did when we played Dallas and lost 52-17.  Like Steven A said it was a "Beat Down!!"

Sorry being a die hard Bill's fan since the 1970's I am actually glad we lost in the AFC Championship game, I remember that Dallas SB game and it was not a good feeling after that ass whooping back then.

The Bills pass only model of winning was not sustainable and not a SB winning formula period.

Edited by Toyo321

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

The pressure does not always have to come from the ends.

It is pressure up the middle that prevents QBs from having a clean pocket or anywhere to step up. Where do they go? They try to escape right or left into the arms of the DE's who really do not have to beat their man, just be in position to clean up.

I truly believe Josh with his desire to never give up on a play would have taken a few 30 yard sacks against the Tampa defense because they could have played dime against us all game long with our limp running attack and he would have had no where to go with the ball.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why do you think the Bills O-line would hold up to a better D in the Bucs, when they couldn't handle the Chiefs pass rush?  With Josh running for his life (like Mahomes), how does he exploit the Bucs secondary?

2 weeks ago, the consensus here was what we all saw--the better team won.  Yesterday, that team got utterly destroyed by an even better team.

I really believe each week is about matchups. You can say that because the chiefs generated a ton of interior pressure, the Bucs would. Why? We were able to figure out a way to stop the Steelers’ interior pressure, and I would argue that the Steelers have a much better interior defensive front than both the chiefs and Bucs. We were also able to handle the Rams, who also create much better interior pressure. 

it’s about week to week matchups and gameplans. I bet if we played the chiefs tomorrow, the Bills would double team Jones every time and add a TE in line, and suddenly that unstoppable chiefs D-line looks a lot less fierce. 

I am not saying we would have beaten the Bucs. But I guarantee you we would have protected and blocked that D-line much much better than the chiefs, who had 3 guys out there on their oline in the super bowl who probably wouldn’t even make our roster. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I really believe each week is about matchups. You can say that because the chiefs generated a ton of interior pressure, the Bucs would. Why? We were able to figure out a way to stop the Steelers’ interior pressure, and I would argue that the Steelers have a much better interior defensive front than both the chiefs and Bucs. We were also able to handle the Rams, who also create much better interior pressure. 

it’s about week to week matchups and gameplans. I bet if we played the chiefs tomorrow, the Bills would double team Jones every time and add a TE in line, and suddenly that unstoppable chiefs D-line looks a lot less fierce. 

I am not saying we would have beaten the Bucs. But I guarantee you we would have protected and blocked that D-line much much better than the chiefs, who had 3 guys out there on their oline in the super bowl who probably wouldn’t even make our roster. 

They had that opportunity 2 weeks ago.  

That Bucs D wasn't the Steelers or Rams---It was better, and definitely better than the Chiefs D.  That could not have been more obvious last night.

They pressured Mahomes 52% of his drop backs, and only blitzed 5% of the plays.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They had that opportunity 2 weeks ago.  

That Bucs D wasn't the Steelers or Rams---It was better, and definitely better than the Chiefs D.  That could not have been more obvious last night.

They pressured Mahomes 52% of his drop backs, and only blitzed 5% of the plays.

the Bucs D looked much better because they were going against JV olinemen. That defense is good— but you make it sound like they are the 1986 bears.

We were one of the best 4 teams in the league. They weren’t going to do that to our o-line. 

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Come on man. They played the Chiefs twice and got beaten soundly both times. They had every opportunity to make that their game plan. 

that’s on the coaches more than anything else. The gameplan was there and obvious. As many of us said in the game day thread, run, screens, dump offs. The chiefs were giving us those. Our offense refused to take them. 

What did the Bucs do on offense yesterday? Dump-downs, screens, 2-TE sets, play action, and some decent running. 

we have the talent to compete and beat any of these teams. the gameplan needed to be better. They got out-coached; it happens. But It’s like people here forgot about the entire season because they are only focusing on the last game. 

I think we would have lost to the Bucs, but I honestly believe we would have done better on offense if we had the same lineup as against the Chiefs, maybe even scoring 16-19 instead of 9. For whatever reason the Chiefs seriously laid an egg, probably due to the loss of both their tackles being too much to overcome. However, I don't see us having done better on defense, and possibly even worse, than KC did; so no, I do not think we would have won... more like 38-16 which is a bad beatdown. We need improvement on both lines and a better running game to compete, and either a new TE or to use our TE more effectively.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why do you think the Bills O-line would hold up to a better D in the Bucs, when they couldn't handle the Chiefs pass rush?  With Josh running for his life (like Mahomes), how does he exploit the Bucs secondary?

2 weeks ago, the consensus here was what we all saw--the better team won.  Yesterday, that team got utterly destroyed by an even better team.

The KC team we played, in my opinion, wasn't the same team that played in the SB. They lost a key OT, and they also just simply played below their normal level - it wasn't all Tampa Bay. Sometimes teams play differently week to week. 

5 hours ago, Success said:

Thinking about it, our SB chances probably ended w/ something that doesn't get talked about too much - Beasley breaking his fibula.

With a fully healthy Diggs & Beasley, we could probably overcome an 80% Brown & Davis against anyone.  It would be close, but I think our O would still move.  With Beasley struggling and no elite TE to throw to, we were too easy to defend.

It's still crazy to think that our final playoff game converged with our top 4 wrs all injured. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

We can always re-write history, I guess.  If last night's game was a close one, sure, we could speculate that the Bills may have had a win.

But it wasn't.  It was a complete manhandling.  Josh in the second half of the Chiefs game was facing serial jailbreaks, just like Mahomes (I don't but that Mahomes is inferior at going through progressions under duress) and the result was similar. 

The Bills would have had no answer for Devon White, JPP, and Shaq Barrett---- just like the Chiefs.  You think Feliciano, Williams, etc got slapped around by the Chiefs front 7??  Imagine how the Bucs would have their way with them...

Anyone who thinks the Bills would have beaten the Bucs simply don't know football and or they are blinded by the "Bills homerism."

• Vomit 2

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Run it and get Knox more involved early.  Run Josh too.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Na not with chiefs dbs allowed to just dry hump us all over the field 🤣 they could get real creative against us pass rush wise because they were just single covering everyone across the board.  As much as im sick of brady winning those flags felt like poetic justice last night ...im sure 9ers fans would agree since they lost the super bowl because the chiefs were allowed to neutralize the strength of their team with offensive holding lol 

The chiefs were in their own version of the 'omg we have to start Brian winters' scenario 🤣 it is not the same chiefs team we faced and the rules were enforced in a completely different way.  The bucs hardly blitzed at all last night they were getting home with 4.  The chiefs blitzed us a lot because their secondary didn't need help...its two completely different games that can't be compared in the way were trying to.  Its surreal honestly listening to this Bowles is a genius commentary...it was a Leslie frazier-esque soft zone game plan he was just playing against scrubs on the oline ...Im not saying we wouldve won i think the bucs offense wouldve given us fits but I think our offensive line wouldve held up considerably better and we wouldve provided a much more entertaining game 

Since when have the Bills beat Brady and Gronk in a meaningful game? Ponder that one. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Come on man. They played the Chiefs twice and got beaten soundly both times. They had every opportunity to make that their game plan. 

Agree 100%. The Chiefs are and were a better team than us. Our defense is exploitable and we can't run the ball. The Chiefs will beat us 8.5 games out of 10 with our current rosters. 

Edited by newcam2012

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Anyone who thinks the Bills would have beaten the Bucs simply don't know football and or they are blinded by the "Bills homerism."

Replace “would” with “could”.

We will never know, of course. How do things turn out if the two throws to KC WR’s that bounce off their face masks are actually CAUGHT for TD’s. 

Swings in momentum are HUGE factors in games.  We can’t “know” anything. Saying you know for sure seems like not knowing anything about football. I get the KC OLine (with injuries) was a problem, but a break here and there and it could look like a totally different game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/7/2021 at 11:12 PM, stevestojan said:

How is this even a question? 

KCs o-line couldn’t protect the only QB in the world who is more mobile than Josh. 

We would have gotten DESTROYED. 

KC O line was really decimated after losing Fisher in AFC Champ game.