Would the Bills have beaten the Bucs?

QB Bills

14 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Didn't see it posted, but I'm guessing a lot of fans are wondering. 

My thoughts even before the AFC championship game were that KC was a awful matchup for the Bills and that if they had gotten by them, they would have beaten Tampa. After watching what the Bucs did to the Chiefs on both sides of the line, and comparing what those same Chiefs did to Buffalo's O and D lines, I'm not so sure now.

What really sucked was these refs today calling all the clear holding penalties the Chiefs were also committing against us two weeks ago.

buffalo is much more familiar with Brady.  

I think Buffalo has better 3-4 receivers ( if they are healthy).

KC made mistakes

1 turnover giving them positive drive start cost them 3

3. bad punt cost them 7

3. KC tried to get greedy and call TO when Bucs likely not going for a score. Cost them 7

41 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It would have been a closer game but I am too sure if the Bills would have won. I think Brady would have eaten this defenses lunch. Which means Josh would have had to put up 30ish to win and against a good defense that might have been hard. Overall though the Fisher injury sealed KC's fate and that's unfortunate because I think the game would have been much more competitive had they at least had Fisher.

peop,e seem to forget.   The Bucs had the benefit of playing KC earlier so they could make adjustments. If this was the first time meeting, possibly a different game.

buffalo is more familiar with Brady tendencies and play calls. They have bern able to control Gronk.

Mahones mobility was hurt.  Allen would have done much better.

14 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Didn't see it posted, but I'm guessing a lot of fans are wondering. 

My thoughts even before the AFC championship game were that KC was a awful matchup for the Bills and that if they had gotten by them, they would have beaten Tampa. After watching what the Bucs did to the Chiefs on both sides of the line, and comparing what those same Chiefs did to Buffalo's O and D lines, I'm not so sure now.

What really sucked was these refs today calling all the clear holding penalties the Chiefs were also committing against us two weeks ago.

Strongly disagree...

If Tampa can shut down Mahomes and the KC offense to that degree, Allen and the Bills wouldn't have gotten a single touchdown.

TB probably would have gotten theirs and we wouldn't have been able to keep up.

16 hours ago, gobills404 said:

No. They just dominated the trenches against the team that dominated us in the trenches 2 weeks ago.

And earlier in the season they lost to the Rams, who we beat. It's never as simple as that.

Reading through this thread you'd think the Bucs were an unstoppable juggernaut this year. I think what happened yesterday is they have a team that perfectly matches up against the Chiefs, just like the Chiefs perfectly match up against us. On defense the Bucs get pressure with 4, on offense they have TEs and RBs that attack where KC is vulnerable.

The Bills offense never had a stinker as bad as KC yesterday. Even the Titans game wasn't that bad. The Chiefs had 9 points and couldnt even score a TD in garbage time. I can't imagine the Bills offense playing that poorly in normal conditions. Also McDermott has had good game plans against Brady. So I believe we would have been more competitive at least.

• Like (+1) 1

Tampa can run the ball. We cannot stop the run without committing the house.

Had a solid TE in Gronk. We cannot stop TE's.

Can pressure and stop the run with their front four. Allen has his worst outings against teams that can pressure with 4.

Anyone arguing about how much better our o-line would handle Tampa's d-line seem to forget how KC's NT Jones feasted on Mongo. Our interior o-line would have been a train wreck and TB's ends are solid at cleaning up.

TB would have kept one LB to spy on Allen and both are fast and strong enough to bring him down.

Tampa is strong exactly where we need teams to be weak. Our strength is our receiving core and they were the walking wounded.

TB's offense would have held the ball longer and scored forcing Allen into desperation mode.

Nope. I love my team, but pretty sure we lose that one.

Edited by WideNine

Bills certainly have a better OLine, and the Bills strength on the OLine is better suited against the Bucs strengths, which is on the edge.  Dawkins and Williams are approx a million times better than what the Chiefs had out there at tackle.

Basically, the Bucs wouldn't have had NEARLY the pass rush effectiveness they did against the Chiefs.   Football at this level, is about matchups.

I think the Bills would have put up 30+, depending on the health of Beasley and Gabe Davis.  They'd have moved the ball well.

Defensively? Well that's problematic. The Bucs do bring a pretty good OLine, and getting pressure would have required a lot of blitzing. McDermott is happy to bring pressure when he doesn't fear the opposing passing attack (Ravens, when he pressured LJ at a historic level, more than the Bucs did to Mahomes actually), but likely would have employed a bend but don't break against the Bucs. Now the Bills have a more talented back 7 than the Chiefs, but the Bucs also bring two elite perimeter threats in Godwin and Evans....I think the Bucs wouldn't get big plays, but would get their yards and first.

Basically? I think this game would have come down to RZ TD conversion.

Put me down for this game being a toss up

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Doubtful.  The way you beat the Chiefs is similar to the way you beat the Bills and the Bucs were built to do it.

I think the chiefs just dont have the oline depth because they have so much money invested in skill position players... bills bucs wouldve been a much better game than chiefs missing two starting linemen vs bucs...heck if we had 4 quarters against that banged up chiefs team we probably win that game 

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Who knows? These games are so much about match-ups. I actually think our O Would have done better than the chiefs did, but the Bucs balanced attack On offense would have given our D some problems. 

How?  The Chiefs were Tee'ing off on Josh all game.  The Bucs are a much better D.  The Bills have no run game and a very mediocre run D.

• Agree 1

I understand each game is different and match-ups etc, but giving my honest opinion I really don't think the Bills would have defeated the Bucs. Those guys came ready and were impressive.

With the well balanced offense and strong defense Bucs have, I just think it would have been too much for Bills. May have been a little bit of a closer game, but then again maybe not.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How?  The Chiefs were Tee'ing off on Josh all game.  The Bucs are a much better D.  The Bills have no run game and a very mediocre run D.

i don’t think the Bucs would

be generating the sort of pressure they did last night against the bills. Our tackles would hold up much better. Plus, while TB’s LB’s are solid, our game really exploits secondaries, and I think their secondary is more vulnerable. 

One game, anything can happen, but Tampa has the type of team to beat us 6 or 7 out of 10. Their d-line and LBs are as good as the Rams and far better than KC. The Tampa O-line dominated KC and they were able to score at will, which we could not and field goals never get it done against good teams. Tampa is the better team this year, but we are coming. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

be generating the sort of pressure they did last night against the bills. Our tackles would hold up much better. Plus, while TB’s LB’s are solid, our game really exploits secondaries, and I think their secondary is more vulnerable. 

The pressure does not always have to come from the ends.

It is pressure up the middle that prevents QBs from having a clean pocket or anywhere to step up. Where do they go? They try to escape right or left into the arms of the DE's who really do not have to beat their man, just be in position to clean up.

I truly believe Josh with his desire to never give up on a play would have taken a few 30 yard sacks against the Tampa defense because they could have played dime against us all game long with our limp running attack and he would have had no where to go with the ball.

Edited by WideNine

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Why do you think the Bills O-line would hold up to a better D in the Bucs, when they couldn't handle the Chiefs pass rush?  With Josh running for his life (like Mahomes), how does he exploit the Bucs secondary?

2 weeks ago, the consensus here was what we all saw--the better team won.  Yesterday, that team got utterly destroyed by an even better team.

not a prayer. We would have been completely annihilated.

The Chiefs got embarrassed and look what they did to us. There's something to be said for Any Given Sunday, but KC was perfect against us and TB was perfect against KC. We're a very good team that won a lot of football games this year, but we have to be a lot more multiple in every phase of the game and capable of executing with perfection reliably to knock off the best of the best.

Getting a Devin White would help.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why do you think the Bills O-line would hold up to a better D in the Bucs, when they couldn't handle the Chiefs pass rush?  With Josh running for his life (like Mahomes), how does he exploit the Bucs secondary?

2 weeks ago, the consensus here was what we all saw--the better team won.  Yesterday, that team got utterly destroyed by an even better team.

A lot of the chiefs sacks were coverage sacks likely due to their very liberal interpretation of the defensive holding rules 🤣 also were stronger at tackle than the chiefs.  I think Josh is better than mahomes at going through his progressions while under duress while mahomes seemed like he was giving up right when the ball was snapped.  If we had four quarters against the chiefs without Eric fisher I bet we wouldve put a lot more pressure on mahomes as well.  Their oline was absolutely gassed by the second half. If the officials in the afc championship called the game the same way the super bowl was called we probably would've gotten one of those 55-52 type shootouts everyone loves  its hard to compare two teams that didn't play eachother based on mutual results with another team because there's just so many variables 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Thinking about it, our SB chances probably ended w/ something that doesn't get talked about too much - Beasley breaking his fibula.

With a fully healthy Diggs & Beasley, we could probably overcome an 80% Brown & Davis against anyone.  It would be close, but I think our O would still move.  With Beasley struggling and no elite TE to throw to, we were too easy to defend.

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

A lot of the chiefs sacks were coverage sacks likely due to their very liberal interpretation of the defensive holding rules 🤣 also were stronger at tackle than the chiefs.  I think Josh is better than mahomes at going through his progressions while under duress while mahomes seemed like he was giving up right when the ball was snapped.  If we had four quarters against the chiefs without Eric fisher I bet we wouldve put a lot more pressure on mahomes as well.  Their oline was absolutely gassed by the second half. If the officials in the afc championship called the game the same way the super bowl was called we probably would've gotten one of those 55-52 type shootouts everyone loves  

We can always re-write history, I guess.  If last night's game was a close one, sure, we could speculate that the Bills may have had a win.

But it wasn't.  It was a complete manhandling.  Josh in the second half of the Chiefs game was facing serial jailbreaks, just like Mahomes (I don't but that Mahomes is inferior at going through progressions under duress) and the result was similar. 

The Bills would have had no answer for Devon White, JPP, and Shaq Barrett---- just like the Chiefs.  You think Feliciano, Williams, etc got slapped around by the Chiefs front 7??  Imagine how the Bucs would have their way with them...

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Thinking about it, our SB chances probably ended w/ something that doesn't get talked about too much - Beasley breaking his fibula.

With a fully healthy Diggs & Beasley, we could probably overcome an 80% Brown & Davis against anyone.  It would be close, but I think our O would still move.  With Beasley struggling and no elite TE to throw to, we were too easy to defend.

Na not with chiefs dbs allowed to just dry hump us all over the field 🤣 they could get real creative against us pass rush wise because they were just single covering everyone across the board.  As much as im sick of brady winning those flags felt like poetic justice last night ...im sure 9ers fans would agree since they lost the super bowl because the chiefs were allowed to neutralize the strength of their team with offensive holding lol 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We can always re-write history, I guess.  If last night's game was a close one, sure, we could speculate that the Bills may have had a win.

But it wasn't.  It was a complete manhandling.  Josh in the second half of the Chiefs game was facing serial jailbreaks, just like Mahomes (I don't but that Mahomes is inferior at going through progressions under duress) and the result was similar. 

The Bills would have had no answer for Devon White, JPP, and Shaq Barrett---- just like the Chiefs.  You think Feliciano, Williams, etc got slapped around by the Chiefs front 7??  Imagine how the Bucs would have their way with them...

The chiefs were in their own version of the 'omg we have to start Brian winters' scenario 🤣 it is not the same chiefs team we faced and the rules were enforced in a completely different way.  The bucs hardly blitzed at all last night they were getting home with 4.  The chiefs blitzed us a lot because their secondary didn't need help...its two completely different games that can't be compared in the way were trying to.  Its surreal honestly listening to this Bowles is a genius commentary...it was a Leslie frazier-esque soft zone game plan he was just playing against scrubs on the oline ...Im not saying we wouldve won i think the bucs offense wouldve given us fits but I think our offensive line wouldve held up considerably better and we wouldve provided a much more entertaining game 

Josh took a couple big sacks that were probably avoidable in hindsight but daboll made a lot of adjustments at halftime moving to a more short to intermediate passing game and getting yeldon involved...the chiefs just let mahomes get butchered all night.  Also Andy Reid called the worst timeout in history lol not to mention we max protect a lot by design...the chiefs were forced into that situation which really eliminates 75% of their playbook.  Allowing defensive holding is absolutely devastating to our offense so if thats going to continue in the playoffs going forward we will have to make some changes