Would the Bills have beaten the Bucs?

QB Bills

1 hour ago, Success said:

Honestly, there was talk on another thread about how because of Allen, we need to keep investing in better & better weapons - that our receivers weren't quite as good as the Chiefs, and that needed to be the focus.

Trenches, trenches, trenches. I don't care if they don't make another move at receiver for the next 2 years.

100% right, and not just to protect Allen but to improve the running game.  Tonight's game proved how important it is to build around your o-line and d-line (once you have a QB).

• Thank you (+1) 1

On the face of it I agree that it is hard to see how the Bills beat the Bucs in this kind of form, but you can never rule anyone out in a two horse race, that would be foolish. And our best is much better than what the Chiefs served up today.

Just like the Bills a fortnight ago - the Chiefs saved their worst for last.

It also didn't hurt that the Bucs had both the luxury of home stadium advantage plus a referee crew who called the Chiefs for multiple holding penalties - neither of which we had.

With the final salary cap number still up in the air we simply cannot predict if we will even make playoffs next season, but I believe we will have another strong year.

Might be an unpopular opinion, and I recognize that Mahomes may have been deterred b/c of his foot, but I think Josh and our o-line would have fared better than the Chiefs offense did tonight.  Not saying we would have been able to stop the Bucs offense on the other side of the ball, but pretty sure we would have put up more points than the Chiefs were able to.  I’ve seen Josh handle pressure better than Mahomes was doing tonight.

• Thank you (+1) 1

People are overlooking the obvious.  So before the conference fans I said there was no way I wanted Tampa to win the NFC  because they would have a huge advantage due to playing at home.  Everyone underestimated how big that advantage was.  It was even bigger when the league ruled that the Super Bowl teams wouldn't travel to Tampa until right before the game.  Tampa would have beaten any AFC team because they had an unfair advantage.

42 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, and I recognize that Mahomes may have been deterred b/c of his foot, but I think Josh and our o-line would have fared better than the Chiefs offense did tonight.  Not saying we would have been able to stop the Bucs offense on the other side of the ball, but pretty sure we would have put up more points than the Chiefs were able to.  I’ve seen Josh handle pressure better than Mahomes was doing tonight.

We where 13-3 with one of the toughest schedules in the league matter a fact give the Bucs the Bills schedule and I don’t even know if they make their playoffs 

The Bucs had easily the best non-QB roster in the league..........that's why Brady chose them.     They didn't play like it most of the year.    They appeared to be a bunch of parts that were far less than the sum of their whole.   I think this game was really the first one where they truly put it all together.    The Bills were better than the sum of their parts most of the year.   Less so in the playoffs where they were out-coached in 2 of their 3 games and didn't look sharp offensively in any of them.   So I don't think they would have played very well against Tampa.  Hopefully the Bills improve the roster AND the coaching staff grows/learns from this year.   

Not on this particular night, especially with the way the Bills had been playing in the playoffs. If the “end of the regular season” Bills showed up, it would’ve been a fun game and I’d actually give the nod to Buffalo. But it would’ve taken that sort of balanced performance to win on this night and the Bills hadn’t looked that great in weeks. 

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

With our current D and philosophy, no way we beat Tampa.  Brady has always had the Bills number and hE would have known this d scheme inside and out. Plus they are big on the o line , ran the ball really well , and would have killed us running the ball. We have no rush to get to Brady so the exact same thing would have happened to us as what did to KC.  We may have scored a little more only because we had our starting tackles. But even that is iffy as we were so one dimensional.  
TB woukd have been blitzing josh all night and we have no consistent backs or tight ends to use as outlets for josh.   We are not close to these teams yet and our only hope next year is to fix the o with a running gsme and get a productive tight end. The d fix will be a two year process.  Need edge rushers, better backers and second corner.  We will have a tough year if our O doesn’t continue to improve because Mcd tends to stick with this soft zone stuff, and you see how kc manhandled us on both LOS, but especially their O line as they scored on almost every possession.  

I think mcdermott has always done a pretty good job against brady defensively...we struggled scoring points against them.  Kc got a lot of coverage sacks against us because of their illegally tight coverage aka holding lol im not saying we wouldve won it just isn't really fair to assume that based mostly on our performance against kc.  Soft zone won Tampa the game tonight they just got home with a four man rush on almost every play 

3 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Didn't see it posted, but I'm guessing a lot of fans are wondering. 

My thoughts even before the AFC championship game were that KC was a awful matchup for the Bills and that if they had gotten by them, they would have beaten Tampa. After watching what the Bucs did to the Chiefs on both sides of the line, and comparing what those same Chiefs did to Buffalo's O and D lines, I'm not so sure now.

What really sucked was these refs today calling all the clear holding penalties the Chiefs were also committing against us two weeks ago.

While you never know, since every game is it’s own entity, I don’t believe they would have.

During the game, with the way the bucs were playing, I mentioned to my kids that maybe it was good that we didn’t make it this year.

What’s weird is, before this game, I would’ve thought that the best matchup for the bills to give them a good chance of winning was against the bucs. I was definitely wrong.

Go Bills!

The Chiefs O line which is usually quite good was terrible because it was reshuffled when Fisher got hurt against the Bills.  The Chiefs with their regular O line would have been a far more formidable opponent.  Mahomes isn't superman -- he needs reasonable protection to be effective.  All that blitzing that TB did would have left them exposed to Mahomes' passing and Kelce's quick moves to get open, if Mahomes had just had a little more time.

The question is, would the Bills, who had their entire team intact including a good O line, have been more effective against TB than the Chiefs, with their terrible O line, were today?  I have to figure, yes.

Also, the refs decided to penalize the Chiefs' DBs for doing to the Bucs exactly what they did to the Bills' receivers.  Holding, hitting them downfield, etc.  Diggs struggled to get open and that's just because the Chiefs were, essentially, cheating.  I think the Bills passing game, with their good O line, would have been very effective against TB's defense, which wasn't cheating.

Could the Bills D have stopped the Bucs offense?  Well, no, no one can the way they're playing.  But the Bills would have been facing mere mortals instead of Marvel characters like Tyreek Hill.  And so the Bills D would have kept us in the game.

There is NO WAY TB would blow out the Bills like they did the Chiefs.