Super Bowl Game Thread: Kansas City at Tampa Bay 6:30 Eastern on CBS

9 hours ago, Don Dokken said:

Can anybody think of a situation in sports where the dominant team of the year just got thrashed in the championship round? This is like if the 73-9 Warriors got swept. Just wild

Patriots near undefeated season comes to mind. 

7 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Everyone will talk about Brady, but that bucs D... The way to beat mahomes is to cause pressure but not to blitz him. And the bucs front D owned the cheifs O line, and the young talented bucs LBs covered kelce well and Brady took advantage of bonehead penalties and that's all she wrote. Take note buffalo D line, the cheifs can be dethroned as the kings of AFC.

The LB play was key and it exposed just how far Buffalo has to go on defense.  The d-line comes in second for me.  If the LBs don't do their job then the pass rush doesn't much matter.  We badly need playmaking LBs (or at least one) & a DE or two who can pressure the QB consistently.  The fact that McLeslie couldn't figure out a patchwork Chiefs o-line spelled our doom.

I know that this sounds like sour grapes, but...with that officiating crew things could have been different for Buffalo.  I'd love to hear from those who started threads after the KC loss telling fans they were wrong to think the Chiefs got away with a ton.  The KC defense was allowed to manhandle the Bills offense with no calls, yesterday was different.  It is also true that the Chiefs made the Bills blink.  Tampa did not blink.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

No question that the officiating was vastly different yesterday from AFC Championship game in terms of letting the CBs be physical.  KC got away with mugging Bills receivers.  When they did it yesterday, it was flagged.  Turned KC's great defense against the Bills into a shell.

25 minutes ago, Casey D said:

No question that the officiating was vastly different yesterday from AFC Championship game in terms of letting the CBs be physical.  KC got away with mugging Bills receivers.  When they did it yesterday, it was flagged.  Turned KC's great defense against the Bills into a shell.

And this resulted in me loving the game but finding it infuriating - finally the calls are being made but why now? Why not earlier? Forget our game, what about the helmet to helmet in the Browns match up?

Edited by UKBillFan

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mmmm...I thought that one PI was iffy.  But for the most part, agree. 

The problem is, not any different than the crap the refs have been keeping their laundry in their pockets for other games - most recently, AFC championship game.

Consistent reffing is a huge problem to the perceived integrity of the league IMO.

Wow

If they had picked up the flag because they ruled it uncatchable I could definitely see that, but it was pass interference if it was a catchable ball...they do definitely need to be consistent. While I don’t want to see 20+ penalty games every week, if it’s a penalty one week then call it every week

• Agree 1

I'm hearing on GMFB that the Chiefs are whining about all the penalties they had...

All I can think of is how Tony Romo kept describing that "sticky defense" against Buffalo all game long. Which basically meant that the Chiefs DBs were holding, mugging Bills receivers all game long.  (Save Cole Beasley who still got open)

Watching the game the Chiefs DB's tried that against the Bucs and were called for it over and over that first quarter. Actually tripping a receiver and then both corners holding on the same play.

The Chiefs offensive line holding like crazy too. Saw a KC O-linemen grab a Buc defender by the collar and drag him down with no penalty. On another play a chiefs player had his arm around a Buc play throat from behind, no call. 

The refs didn't change the outcome of the game. But let the KC players know that they needed to play by the rules...and they still were holding. 

Which leads me to believe that the Bills are really not that far off from beating the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm hearing on GMFB that the Chiefs are whining about all the penalties they had...

All I can think of is how Tony Romo kept describing that "sticky defense" against Buffalo all game long. Which basically meant that the Chiefs DBs were holding, mugging Bills receivers all game long.  (Save Cole Beasley who still got open)

Watching the game the Chiefs DB's tried that against the Bucs and were called for it over and over that first quarter. Actually tripping a receiver and then both corners holding on the same play.

The Chiefs offensive line holding like crazy too. Saw a KC O-linemen grab a Buc defender by the collar and drag him down with no penalty. On another play a chiefs player had his arm around a Buc play throat from behind, no call. 

The refs didn't change the outcome of the game. But let the KC players know that they needed to play by the rules...and they still were holding. 

Which leads me to believe that the Bills are really not that far off from beating the Chiefs. 

I dont know. The Bills vs Chiefs and last nights game were night and day. The Bucs utterly destroyed them. We had to fight tooth and nail for every inch on offense. Ands on defense we looked lost. Their guys were open by 5+ yards consistently against us. While nearly every catch was contested last night. So the Bucs not only had a much better pass rush but also much better coverage, even on short passes like the quick outs and slants.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just want to highlight my perspicacity. I posted this on Saturday:

PREDICTION:

The Bucs will win, going away. This will be the only Super Bowl that Brady will have won by more than ten points. Brady won't necessarily have a great game, but the Bucs overall will dominate the Chiefs.

I don't say this because I like the Bucs--I'd much rather see the Chiefs win and Brady humiliated. I say the Bucs will win because:

1) The Chiefs are missing both their starting tackles

2) Reid's son's DUI puts a child in the hospital in critical condition

3) The best game the Chiefs have played in the last three months was against the Bills. They have been living on borrowed time and now their luck runs out. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It means changing who we are. We are a coverage defense not a pressure defense. We are a passing offense not a running offense. You have to be able to rush the passer and run the ball to beat KC. Neither of which we are really built personnel wise or scheme wise to do.

I thank your response.  I respectfully disagree.  I am of the belief that the Bills have the core players on defense to be aggressive.  Offense add two athletic guards and a RB with speed to  mix with what they have and your running game will be better. 

13 hours ago, jkx2 said:

Half of their D line are cast offs anybody could have signed, Ndamukong Suh, Jason pierre-paul. They were considered washed up. Start with a  rejuvenated JJ Watt if he becomes available and if he'll play for a championship and not money.

It takes just one player to change a defense and it's attitude.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I dont know. The Bills vs Chiefs and last nights game were night and day. The Bucs utterly destroyed them. We had to fight tooth and nail for every inch on offense. Ands on defense we looked lost. Their guys were open by 5+ yards consistently against us. While nearly every catch was contested last night. So the Bucs not only had a much better pass rush but also much better coverage, even on short passes like the quick outs and slants.  

Let's be clear on this: Tampa Bay has a better defense, and they succeeded in getting strong pressure with their front 4 and doubling Hill and Kelce.

If the Bucs didn't have strong pressure on Mahomes and they allowed him to stand in the pocket and manipulate the secondary with his eyes, eventually Kelce and Hill would have been open by 5 yards.

If our WR had not been being mugged by KC all night (and KC penalized for it), we might not have had to fight quite so tooth and nail.

More than one thing can be true.

8 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Just want to highlight my perspicacity. I posted this on Saturday:

PREDICTION:

The Bucs will win, going away. This will be the only Super Bowl that Brady will have won by more than ten points. Brady won't necessarily have a great game, but the Bucs overall will dominate the Chiefs.

I don't say this because I like the Bucs--I'd much rather see the Chiefs win and Brady humiliated. I say the Bucs will win because:

1) The Chiefs are missing both their starting tackles

2) Reid's son's DUI puts a child in the hospital in critical condition

3) The best game the Chiefs have played in the last three months was against the Bills. They have been living on borrowed time and now their luck runs out. 

Do you think this mattered?

I felt like the Bucs had better personnel on D and a masterful game plan to whup KC's O

But I also felt that the refs calling DH and DPI penalties and a PF (which were, for the most part, totally legit - but went uncalled in the AFC Championship), had a strong influence on the first half of the game.  And, there were a couple of them that were IMHO questionable.

Part of me wondered if the Refs were given the word to call any legit penalties for those things that they saw, because of 2) and the NFL not wanting the Chiefs to win with the DUI investigation/child in critical condition hanging over them.  Maybe I'm secretly conspiracy-minded

15 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

That’s a pathetic take

15 hours ago, Big Gun said:

Disagree, Allen is used to the pressure, hes had it consistantly all year and has made plays all year. Mahomes isnt showing me anything while under pressure.

This is in response to my post. 

Just FYI (from the Shoutbox) I'm not the only one to see it this way.  I think it's very consistent.  When Allen scrambles around and makes a risky throw or takes a sack the announcers proclaim he's "melting down" "taking bad sacks" "pressing" "got away with one".  When Mahomes was doing similar things the announcers pronounce he is "trying to make things happen" and "almost threw a completion".   You can call it a "pathetic take" or 'disagree" but that's what I hear.

GoBills808

6 minutes ago 

@BringBackFergy i was laughing at those...when allen runs 20yards behind the los and almost throws a pick hes trying to do too much, when mahomes does it hes got the heart of a champion trying to will his team to a victory lmfao

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let's be clear on this: Tampa Bay has a better defense, and they succeeded in getting strong pressure with their front 4 and doubling Hill and Kelce.

If the Bucs didn't have strong pressure on Mahomes and they allowed him to stand in the pocket and manipulate the secondary with his eyes, eventually Kelce and Hill would have been open by 5 yards.

If our WR had not been being mugged by KC all night (and KC penalized for it), we might not have had to fight quite so tooth and nail.

More than one thing can be true.

Do you think this mattered?

I felt like the Bucs had better personnel on D and a masterful game plan to whup KC's O

But I also felt that the refs calling DH and DPI penalties and a PF (which were, for the most part, totally legit - but went uncalled in the AFC Championship), had a strong influence on the first half of the game.  And, there were a couple of them that were IMHO questionable.

Part of me wondered if the Refs were given the word to call any legit penalties for those things that they saw, because of 2) and the NFL not wanting the Chiefs to win with the DUI investigation/child in critical condition hanging over them.  Maybe I'm secretly conspiracy-minded

I thought the DUI/accident incident was less likely to be a factor than the other things I mentioned, but I thought it might have some effect.

I could never have figured that the refs would start calling those penalties they did not call two weeks earlier, but I agree it had a significant effect. It's interesting because generally it's been my impression that, historically, refs call games looser in the playoffs. So it must have shocked the Chiefs to have those PI and holding penalties called, and put them off their game.

I really think the decimation of the Chiefs' o-line was the greatest factor in the game. Brady played well, but any good QB would have won that game for the Bucs--they were that dominant on the offensive and defensive lines. 

• Like (+1) 1