Super Bowl Game Thread: Kansas City at Tampa Bay 6:30 Eastern on CBS

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Some of the credit for the Bucs' win should go to the Chiefs' O-line, and their RT in particular. 

I honestly can't remember a game where I've seen so much immediate pressure as I did tonight. And I've been a Bills fan for 50 years...:lol:

If that was not Mahomes back there, or someone with similar mobility, they could have had 20 sacks! It was insane...B-)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

I honestly can't remember a game where I've seen so much immediate pressure as I did tonight. And I've been a Bills fan for 50 years...:lol:

If that was not Mahomes back there, or someone with similar mobility, they could have had 20 sacks! It was insane...B-)

Agreed. A normal qb would have been sacked 12 times. KC went in with a garbage o-line, and it showed. Eric Fisher takes heat because of how high he was drafted but he is genuinely good. The replacement tonight (Remmers) was a matador, as was the RT replacement.

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly - or to word it a bit differently, objectively the refs in the first half correctly identified and penalized fouls - but the Chiefs have been committing similar fouls without penalty including 2 weeks ago.

The refs missed many offensive holding calls on the chiefs as well

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. A normal qb would have been sacked 12 times. KC went in with a garbage o-line, and it showed. Eric Fisher takes heat because of how high he was drafted but he is genuinely good. The replacement tonight (Remmers) was a matador, as was the RT replacement.

The other reason those tackles looked like suck is KC could not give them a lot of help because TB's interior DTs have to be double teamed. I think Suh is a POS, but a good article on the value of interior DT's that can stop the run and pressure the passer.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/defense-interior-importance-against-kansas-city-sblv-media-day-ndamukong-suh

"Mahomes has the second-best completion percentage against the blitz in 2020, including the postseason, at 68.4%. His 9.5 yards per attempt, 15-0 touchdown to interception ratio and 135.3 passer rating against the blitz rank first. Yeah, Mahomes has a 135.3 passer rating when he sees five or more guys in his face.

And the Bucs know that. Even back in Week 12, they only blitzed Mahomes on 17% of his dropbacks, which was the lowest rate in a game under Bowles since he arrived in 2019.

But while Mahomes is good against the blitz – he's not as good against pressure. Again, making the distinction between blitzing and pressure. They are not one in the same. Under pressure, Mahomes has a completion percentage of just 48.0%. His passing yards per attempt goes down to 6.3. He's got a 5-1 touchdown to interception rate and his passer rating is down from 116.4 when not facing pressure to 78.7 when he is. Ten of Mahomes' 25 interceptions since 2018 have come against pressure.

So clearly, you need to pressure him. But maybe not blitz him…

Which is again why a four-man rush that can generate pressure will be so crucial against the Chiefs. The good news is that said four-man rush will now also be helped by nose tackle Vita Vea, who returned against the Packers after a 15-week absence due to a broken ankle. He played 46% of the team's defensive snaps in his first game back and had his presence felt, especially against the run, and in a couple of those sacks stolen by JPP and Barrett. The Bucs are simply a better team with Vea on the field and the Next Gen Stats back that up.

Against the run when Vea is on the field the Bucs give up an average of just 2.7 yards per carry. When he isn't, it jumps up to 3.9 yards per carry. Against the pass, the Bucs had a 32.7% quarterback pressure rate and a 10.5% sack rate in 153 dropbacks with Vea on the field. Without Vea, the Bucs have a 26.0% quarterback pressure rate and a 5.9% sack rate. That's a huge difference."

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed, but with regard to Jones, it’s on the refs to pay attention to attempts to aggro him given the history. Christ, Feliciano did it, and Jensen tonight was even more blatant. He retaliated, but the refs have to do better. I have no love for Chris Jones, but I do expect SB refs to have informed situational awareness.

Feliciano did what? 

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

The other reason those tackles looked like suck is KC could not give them a lot of help because TB's interior DTs have to be double teamed. I think Suh is a POS, but a good article on the value of interior DT's that can stop the run and pressure the passer.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/defense-interior-importance-against-kansas-city-sblv-media-day-ndamukong-suh

"Mahomes has the second-best completion percentage against the blitz in 2020, including the postseason, at 68.4%. His 9.5 yards per attempt, 15-0 touchdown to interception ratio and 135.3 passer rating against the blitz rank first. Yeah, Mahomes has a 135.3 passer rating when he sees five or more guys in his face.

And the Bucs know that. Even back in Week 12, they only blitzed Mahomes on 17% of his dropbacks, which was the lowest rate in a game under Bowles since he arrived in 2019.

But while Mahomes is good against the blitz – he's not as good against pressure. Again, making the distinction between blitzing and pressure. They are not one in the same. Under pressure, Mahomes has a completion percentage of just 48.0%. His passing yards per attempt goes down to 6.3. He's got a 5-1 touchdown to interception rate and his passer rating is down from 116.4 when not facing pressure to 78.7 when he is. Ten of Mahomes' 25 interceptions since 2018 have come against pressure.

So clearly, you need to pressure him. But maybe not blitz him…

Which is again why a four-man rush that can generate pressure will be so crucial against the Chiefs. The good news is that said four-man rush will now also be helped by nose tackle Vita Vea, who returned against the Packers after a 15-week absence due to a broken ankle. He played 46% of the team's defensive snaps in his first game back and had his presence felt, especially against the run, and in a couple of those sacks stolen by JPP and Barrett. The Bucs are simply a better team with Vea on the field and the Next Gen Stats back that up.

Against the run when Vea is on the field the Bucs give up an average of just 2.7 yards per carry. When he isn't, it jumps up to 3.9 yards per carry. Against the pass, the Bucs had a 32.7% quarterback pressure rate and a 10.5% sack rate in 153 dropbacks with Vea on the field. Without Vea, the Bucs have a 26.0% quarterback pressure rate and a 5.9% sack rate. That's a huge difference."

Great post. Going back to his Miami days when he regularly stoned the Bills o-linemen, I have long felt that Suh had shockingly become one of the most underrated players in the league. He is a force out there—still extremely difficult to handle one on one.

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Mike Remmers might have cemented his place as the career worst performer in SB history IMO.     Between single handedly costing the Panthers a SB with his work against Von Miller and the absolutely atrocious job he did today.......just unbelievable.   I don't know whether to feel sorry for the guy or for us having to watch such a terrible player greatly impact two SB's now.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This game, or vs. us?

Overall, the league has been calling a lot less offensive holding this season.  But yeah, they were taking it to the extreme.

He had a sneaky-dirty hit after the whistle on the bills’ first possession that set Jones off, and then he later delivered what looked to be a kidney punch (judging from the video) that caused jones to retaliate. I don’t fault feliciano - they were trying to get to the SB and the book was out that you could aggro jones  into doing something stupid. He had been ejected earlier in the season for retaliating. On that play, the refs just missed the retaliation, but it was an ejectable offense.

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Great post. Going back to his Miami days when he regularly stoned the Bills o-linemen, I have long felt that Suh had shockingly become one of the most underrated players in the league. He is a force out there—still extremely difficult to handle one on one.

He is freakishly strong and quick for his size.

Was never a fan of his extracurricular plays after the whistle, but cannot deny he was a terror to block one-on-one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Everyone will talk about Brady, but that bucs D... The way to beat mahomes is to cause pressure but not to blitz him. And the bucs front D owned the cheifs O line, and the young talented bucs LBs covered kelce well and Brady took advantage of bonehead penalties and that's all she wrote. Take note buffalo D line, the cheifs can be dethroned as the kings of AFC.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Everyone will talk about Brady, but that bucs D... The way to beat mahomes is to cause pressure but not to blitz him. And the bucs front D owned the cheifs O line, and the young talented bucs LBs covered kelce well and Brady took advantage of bonehead penalties and that's all she wrote. Take note buffalo D line, the cheifs can be dethroned as the kings of AFC.

Absolutely correct.  The Bills struggled mightily to pressure QBs with our front four all season, and it bit us in the butt vs KC.

Tom Brady is a great player, there is no doubt.  But if another QB produced his statline of 21 completions on 29 attempts for 201 yds, it might well be tagged as "not enough offense" even with 3 passing TDs and 0 INTs.   He did enough to help his team score 31 points and win, clearly.

IMHO the real MVP is undoubtedly the Bucs D.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58501/TB_Gamebook.pdf

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely correct.  The Bills struggled mightily to pressure QBs with our front four all season, and it bit us in the butt vs KC.

Tom Brady is a great player, there is no doubt.  But if another QB produced his statline of 21 completions on 29 attempts for 201 yds, it might well be tagged as "not enough offense" even with 3 passing TDs and 0 INTs.   He did enough to help his team score 31 points and win, clearly.

IMHO the real MVP is undoubtedly the Bucs D.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58501/TB_Gamebook.pdf

Agreed, if any QB had those stats against the cheifs all season thats not enough. But I won't take anything from Brady, he did what he needed and capitalized on that penalty for a td and that felt like the turning point of the game.

2 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Kelce still kind of torched them in my opinion but I agree with most of this...he looked very similar to how he looked against us...always completely wide open.  Tampa did a lot of things similar to us they just had the pass rush working...maybe if we had 4 quarters against the chiefs banged up oline we wouldve fared a little better 

1 hour ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

We should work on our OL and DL most of all. TE and RB are nice to have by comparison.

I think a great pass catching TE masks a lot of issues...I dont think the chiefs wouldve cracked 100 yards of offense outside of garbage time tonight without kelce.  I think we just played right into the chiefs plan of hanging onto receivers a borderline illegal amount and the league took notice...a running game would be nice though lol id focus on the defensive side first the offense really carried the team all season...the defense stepped up in the big moments most games but it just wasn't enough

When Brady was screaming at his OC to keep five wide on the field at the end of the first half and proceeded to score because he knew exactly what he wanted to run and how he would capitalize against the Chiefs D.... It was the time where I sat back and just had to appreciate seeing greatness.

His OC wanted to change personnel, but Brady has full reign and showed he is the best to ever do it.  And then cements that he was in Mathieu's head by jawing at him.  The game was over.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, syhuang said:

He did it at the right time......after the 4th down play when the ball had already changed possession and the game was already decided.

Romo hated it.....but I liked it :)

18 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

When Brady was screaming at his OC to keep five wide on the field at the end of the first half and proceeded to score because he knew exactly what he wanted to run and how he would capitalize against the Chiefs D.... It was the time where I sat back and just had to appreciate seeing greatness.

His OC wanted to change personnel, but Brady has full reign and showed he is the best to ever do it.  And then cements that he was in Mathieu's head by jawing at him.  The game was over.

I think it was Ty that started jawing first...thats why he got a 15 yarder.

Marsha probably just said look at the scoreboard jackwad