Super Bowl Game Thread: Kansas City at Tampa Bay 6:30 Eastern on CBS

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

weird. You would think they could adjust to what the Bucs were doing. I am not sure there was anything confusing about it. 

Keep it simple, work the underneath, screens, dump the ball off to the RB. Soften up the Chiefs D. Everything Buffalo should have done. Perhaps could have done with a better run game. Tampa had Buffalo to look at and say this is everything we are not going to do against the Chiefs. Brady's no dummy.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Bad calls aside, I underestimated the Bucs D. They held Kelce and Hill in check and Mahomes had no answers all night. 

In 2019, they were #2 overall according to Football Outsiders’ defensive DVOA metric despite giving up a TON of points. The reason? Jameis Winston not only set a record for pick sixes, he threw picks and fumbled in his own end at a crazily high rate (and along with 30 picks Winston had a ton of fumbles too—12 total) . Most of those turnovers that occurred in their own end turned into points for the other team, and it wasn’t the Bucs’ D’s fault. Bottom line—Winston was terrible, and it had a huge impact on TB’s defensive numbers.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

They were #2 overall according to Football Outsiders defensive DVOA metric despite giving upa TON of points. The reason? Jameis Winston not only set a record for pick sixes, he threw picks and fumbled in his own end at a crazily high rate (and along with 30 picks Winston had a ton of fumbles too—12 total) . Most of those turnovers that occurred in their own end turned into points for the other team, and it wasn’t the Bucs’ D’s fault. Bottom line—Winston was terrible, and it had a huge impact on TB’s defensive numbers.

I shouldn't be surprised, they played well all year I guess I just expected KC to keep scoring a ton but like Reid, I was surprised.

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

KC played best game in past 8 against Bills. We are much closer than many suggest. G who can run block, 2 edge players, speed TE. KC will struggle with this loss. They had bad calls but quit. 

And you disagree apparently...

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The reffing in the first half was objectively terrible, but KC was awful in the second half and deserved to lose. KC’s backup OTs looked like high school players — “Ole!” On every other play. For the first time in a long time, the SB was a terrible game. My broader take: the NFL certainly didn’t “fix” the game, but I suspect the last thing they wanted was Andy Reid winning after a (plausible) narrative emerged in which he enabled his idiot son (to the point of employing him despite no visible qualifications), who was responsible for a genuine human tragedy because of his recklessness. 

You know that I don't blame officiating..........and the officiating was terrible simply because the league entirely changed how they were calling plays in the secondary to the great detriment of the grabby, chippy Chiefs..........but I think KC compounded the issue by losing their composure.   They expended a lot on their outrage and looked gas after halftime.  For the first time, the Chiefs really paid for having a unit full of low character individuals.     

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, BaaadThingsMan said:

I shouldn't be surprised, they played well all year I guess I just expected KC to keep scoring a ton but like Reid, I was surprised.

Just to be clear, i was talking about last year (see my edit of that post if you’re interested). The larger point is that they have a TON of physical talent.

29 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

There was literally not a single bad call by the refs in the first half. Each KC penalty was blatant and an easy call for them to make 

Mmmm...I thought that one PI was iffy.  But for the most part, agree. 

The problem is, not any different than the crap the refs have been keeping their laundry in their pockets for other games - most recently, AFC championship game.

Consistent reffing is a huge problem to the perceived integrity of the league IMO.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You know that I don't blame officiating..........and the officiating was terrible simply because the league entirely changed how they were calling plays in the secondary to the great detriment of the grabby, chippy Chiefs..........but I think KC compounded the issue by losing their composure.   They expended a lot on their outrage and looked gas after halftime.  For the first time, the Chiefs really paid for having a unit full of low character individuals.     

Excellent point ... but the Bucs have an inordinate number of low character individuals too!

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Just to be clear, i was talking about last year (see my edit of that post if you’re interested). The larger point is that they have a TON of physical talent.

Yeah , I noticed that. They bailed Brady out a ton this year too but tonight just had the upper hand from the get. Winfield Jr is gonna be a good one!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly - or to word it a bit differently, objectively the refs in the first half correctly identified and penalized fouls - but the Chiefs have been committing similar fouls without penalty including 2 weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly - or to word it a bit differently, objectively the refs in the first half correctly identified and penalized fouls - but the Chiefs have been committing similar fouls without penalty including 2 weeks ago.

The one thing I’ll push back against is the PI in the end zone. Brady threw that away (it hit the wall well beyond the EZ) and wasn’t remotely catchable. It’s not even really arguable, and it was a huge play.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In 2019, they were #2 overall according to Football Outsiders’ defensive DVOA metric despite giving up a TON of points. The reason? Jameis Winston not only set a record for pick sixes, he threw picks and fumbled in his own end at a crazily high rate (and along with 30 picks Winston had a ton of fumbles too—12 total) . Most of those turnovers that occurred in their own end turned into points for the other team, and it wasn’t the Bucs’ D’s fault. Bottom line—Winston was terrible, and it had a huge impact on TB’s defensive numbers.

Exactly.  Tampa Bay has had a very good D last year.  They were consistently put in a bad spot by their offense.

Tom Brady didn't sign with Tampa Bay because they were rebuilding, he signed there because he thought he could be the "missing link" to take them to a championship.  And he was right!

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The one thing I’ll push back against is the PI in the end zone. Brady threw that away (it hit the wall well beyond the EZ) and wasn’t remotely catchable. It’s not even really arguable, and it was a huge play.

I agree - I said above in response to @Ya Digg? that I thought that one PI call was "a bit iffy" which was understatement on my part.  But in general, I thought the refs were calling legit penalties, it just took KC by surprise because 2 weeks ago the same plays were NOT penalties, including an unsportsmanlike on Chris Jones.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Imagine how many 30 yd sacks and hot garbage plays Mahomes would have had if you put him on the Bills of Josh's rookie year.  There is zero doubt his whole trajectory would have gone very very differently.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly.  Tampa Bay has had a very good D last year.  They were consistently put in a bad spot by their offense.

Tom Brady didn't sign with Tampa Bay because they were rebuilding, he signed there because he thought he could be the "missing link" to take them to a championship.  And he was right!

I agree - I said above in response to @Ya Digg? that I thought that one PI call was "a bit iffy" which was understatement on my part.  But in general, I thought the refs were calling legit penalties, it just took KC by surprise because 2 weeks ago the same plays were NOT penalties, including an unsportsmanlike on Chris Jones.

Agreed, but with regard to Jones, it’s on the refs to pay attention to attempts to aggro him given the history. Christ, Feliciano did it, and Jensen tonight was even more blatant. He retaliated, but the refs have to do better. I have no love for Chris Jones, but I do expect SB refs to have informed situational awareness.

• Like (+1) 1