SB commercials

djp14150

32 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Commercials aren't gonna be that big of a thing this year, and for good reason. I applaud these big name companies.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/2/1/22251066/why-arent-brands-airing-super-bowl-commercials-2021-lv-budweiser-pepsi-coke

Hmmm...count me skeptical.

I'm not arguing with you @Bubba Gump, but virtue explanations™ -- from corporations already dumping, let's say $100M total, into this game -- are not virtuous at all.

Do you (the general you) think Bud/Pepsi board said, "let's not fly Bob and Ted and Carol and Alice" to the game this year, and let's not spend big, tax-deductible $ to schmooze our highest dollar clients?

Meh, somehow I doubt it. NOT a political statement: it's just business!

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Hmmm...count me skeptical.

I'm not arguing with you @Bubba Gump, but virtue explanations™ -- from corporations already dumping, let's say $100M total, into this game -- are not virtuous at all.

Do you (the general you) think Bud/Pepsi board said, "let's not fly Bob and Ted and Carol and Alice" to the game this year, and let's not spend big, tax-deductible $ to schmooze our highest dollar clients?

Meh, somehow I doubt it. NOT a political statement: it's just business!

I'm sure the fact that not having full capacity, limiting all the freebies the big boys get this year def plays into it. Very limited space to schmooze. It is what it is. I just hope these companies actually use the budgeted dollars for SB ad space for Covid as they say they will.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

I'm sure the fact that not having full capacity, limiting all the freebies the big boys get this year def plays into it. Very limited space to schmooze. It is what it is. I just hope these companies actually use the budgeted dollars for SB ad space for Covid as they say they will.

Fair enough, I'm w you.

But, two things

(1) if you've ever had to make a pitch, or reward a client, there's plenty of space to do plenty of schmoozing, under any circumstances.

(2) These business decisions -- whatever they really are, vice the press release -- were made many months ago. The "virtue announcement timing"™ just rubs me the wrong way, in a non-Bob Kraft sort of fashion.

That said, now we can move on to judging actual quality of ads...

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Commercials aren't gonna be that big of a thing this year, and for good reason. I applaud these big name companies.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/2/1/22251066/why-arent-brands-airing-super-bowl-commercials-2021-lv-budweiser-pepsi-coke

I just saw a leaked Bud Light commercial that's supposed to air during the game. I wonder if they just made it, then decided not to use it.

43 minutes ago, 947 said:

I just saw a leaked Bud Light commercial that's supposed to air during the game. I wonder if they just made it, then decided not to use it.

Its just Bud Heavy that opted out:

Anheuser-Busch brands won’t totally be left out hung out to dry. During the game, fans can instead look forward to commercials from brands that fall under the Anheuser-Busch, including Bud Light, Bud Light Seltzer, Michelob ULTRA, and Michelob ULTRA Organic Seltzer.

Kind of a joke to say they are prioritizing humanity not having the Clydesdale commercial. Instead of having 6 commercials this Super Bowl theyll have five. Or something dumb like that.

• Like (+1) 2

Never understood the fascination with commercials, are we that easily amused by mostly stupid 30 seconds of not very funny commercials?

In regards to Budweiser not paying the big bucks for an ad, how often have you heard about budweiser not paying big bucks for an ad. They're getting plenty of ad time.  It's like when they do a tribute to the military, their name is all over the ad, even though 'it's not a budweiser ad'.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My favorite Super Bowl commercial story was how Master Pad Lock approached it. It may be an urban myth, but I always heard that they ran one commercial every year, and it was during the Super Bowl. (Remember, they used to shoot the bullet through the lock?)  That was their entire TV advertising budget buy for the entire year.  One thirty second ad....and done! I always thought that was so cool! 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 947 said:

They're gonna still have commercials for their "off" brands like Bud Light and Michelob, just nothing for straight Budweiser.