RIP Chris Wesseling- From NFL Media and Around the NFL podcast.

whatdrought

Very sad news. Around the NFL podcast is one that I listen to consistently because at its core it’s just friends who love football chatting about football. 

Chris has always had a soft spot for the Bills and took his shot about Allen turning it on this year back in August. 

Seemed like a good guy, from what I’ve seen. 

Cancer sucks. 

• Sad 10
  • Agree 2

I haven't listened to Around The NFL in a while but I was a regular listener around the time that Chris got his initial diagnosis. The sheer amount of love and admiration the wider football community showed him gave you a real idea of the level of esteem that his peers held him in.

I only knew him through his knowledge, his wit and his wisdom and it feels like I've lost something of a kindred spirit. I can't imagine the heartbreak that Lakisha, his family and friends feel.

Thank you for being so honest while fighting cancer and for sharing your knowledge with people like me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's really sad. I've listened to their show a lot and have watched them on Youtube the last few months. Chris showed up right until a few weeks ago, sadly with that weak, broken voice of someone who is very ill. Poor guy would only do the first portion of the show and would then give way to another guest because he was obviously too weak to do the whole thing.

Seemed like a great guy, very sad

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Very sad news. Around the NFL podcast is one that I listen to consistently because at its core it’s just friends who love football chatting about football. 

Chris has always had a soft spot for the Bills and took his shot about Allen turning it on this year back in August. 

Seemed like a good guy, from what I’ve seen. 

Cancer sucks. 

Cancer is the worst, too bad he couldn't see the Superbowl

My initial contact with Chris was when he was a regular message board poster on the Football guys message boards.

He was a valued poster and became known for his fantasy football dynasty rankings that he updated regularly.

Gregg Rosenthal, then of Rotoworld, noticed his excellent football posts and offered him a job  there.

Gregg ended up leaving for NFL.com/NFL Networks and  eventually opened the door for Chris to join him.

Through this evolution of him being a fan posting on a football message board to being a much respected  analyst and writer- he remained authentic, generous, thoughtful and kind.

Class act all the way. I will miss him.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

I didn't see, what type of cancer did he have? How long ago was he diagnosed?

Pretty sure it was esophageal cancer which spread to his lungs. Such a shame with such a young family. Just awful.

Really sad news. For a lot of overseas fans, podcasts are a route into the sport and make it accessible. The Around the NFL guys have been at the forefront of the NFL growth in the UK with their visits and appearances on UK TV. 

I thought Rich Eisen's and Colleen Wolfe's tributes on TV on Sunday were really classy done. 

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Agree 2