Bills Asst. LB coach leaving for Vandy

UConn James

Per PFT:

According to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, assistant linebacker coach John Egorugwu is leaving the Bills to become the head linebackers coach at Vanderbilt under new head coach Clark Lea.

Egorugwu has been with the Bills since 2017 when he joined Sean McDermott’s staff after serving two years as a defensive assistant with the Baltimore Ravens. He came to Buffalo as a defensive quality control coach and has added the assistant linebackers coach title.

Congrats on the title bump-up!

With the looming question of Milano returning (I just don’t see it given the numbers), it looks like it’s time to revamp / revision LB use.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Can't imagine this has any impact on the team whatsoever.

Last year when the Bills DL coach left for a similar college job, it turned out to be a prelude for the Bills bringing in the former Panthers DL coach who was unemployed due to Rivera's firing.

So we could be looking at a change at LB coach, perhaps.

38 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

The new whipping boy going into 2021 

Lol he was my scapegoat for 2020 too.

Hope he proves me an idiot and has a great 2021 in what will be a contract year for him.

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I don't get why you'd leave a job in a successful NFL franchise for a job in a college football purgatory.  

Its a very good academic school. Maybe that is the draw. Maybe he is a better recruiter than a coach. Maybe he just likes the college atmosphere better than the NFL. Could be lots of reasons.

5 hours ago, BTB said:

You go from asst. position coach on a team that is about to be an NFL powerhouse for the next decade, to position coach at the perennial SEC doormat?  okee dokee.

Actually I was thinking its quite possible that the Bills may have politely told him that they weren't planning to retain him and to seek out new employment to save face.

• Like (+1) 1