Do You Have a Land Line?

Gugny

Do You Have a Land Line?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have a Land Line?

• YES
    • NO

33 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Do you also have a VHS player and take supper in the veranda sitting on your davenport wearing dungarees?

What kind of a woodchuck do you think I am?  The VCR is in the parlor next to the Be Kind, Rewind machine.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yep.  Need it for our house alarm to call out to emergency services.  Plus the wife likes having it, feels someone won’t be able to reach us if we don’t have it.  

Not cheap, probably $40/month on spectrum. Not sure what my internet cost would be without it.  Can go cellular for the alarm, $300-400 install fee and $5/month for service.

She goes crazy wondering who it is now that the scammers spoof our exchange.  Told her anyone we know that matters has one, or both of our cell’s.  Still doesn’t compute.

I mean... I would say the number of folks who have landline JUST so they can call their own cell phone to find it has got to be a very high percentage.

My dad is ALWAYS losing his phone. Doesn’t put it in a consistent spot, piles all kinds of shizz on top of it (coats, hunting magazines, newspapers, etc.), or forgets it in the car. Every time, he threatens to throw it out into the lake. 🤦🏻‍♂️ #OldManSyndrome

Edited by UConn James

On 2/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Do you also have a VHS player and take supper in the veranda sitting on your davenport wearing dungarees?

"Dungarees" is a word my mother has used all my life.  She is now 84.

Another great and similar word she uses is "slacks."

"Put on your dress slacks, we're going to church."

LOL!

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL!

Yup, dungarees was my grandma.  She’s 92 now.  I feel like “slacks” is a term that is still used to describe dress pants.  When my son has to dress up for something, we tell him to put on his dress pants or khakis.

A what???  So the answer is no.  But guess what I DO have. 

We pay for one because it comes with our cable/internet deal but don't have one.  I don't even have one at the office.  All calls done via zoom.  I guess that's a land line but I don't have a phone.  Just a laptop and a blue tooth earpiece.  

On 2/7/2021 at 10:37 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Right near the TV that works on top of the TV that does not work?

The extra height helps the rabbit ears get a better signal so he can pick up all three channels. 

I remember having a milkman (I’m told I look a lot like him), and my mother had ice delivered to the house. But that happened over many decades. With the pace of change now I can’t even imaging what things will look like when my son is my age. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL!

When our son was young we should have told him that EVERY time! One Sunday we get to church and start piling out of the car to head in. There are awkward sounds from the backseat. Not only had he not put on “dress slacks”, he had on nothing but his boxers. He won that day, no church......

Yes.  In a power failure, landlines don't usually go out AND emergency, all cells will be jammed since most use that now. 

It's a good safety feature... Preparedness.   You can always hack it to charge stuff:

On 2/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the “land line” is much more cost efficient because my wife talks to her aunt in Scotland for hours at a time.  

cell rates for international are bonkers 

yes I know you can Skype and FB video  and whats App 

the extra data is the same cost as LD landline 📞 

Yeah.  But call one state over and it's through roof the toll charges on lamdline!  I am under 10 miles from Indiana border... Don't dare call a 1(219) area code from my landline! 😉😉

On 2/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, UConn James said:

Business Insider: Landlines predicted obsolete by 2020 in 2018.

I’ve read other ones saying landlines will be phased out by 2025.

It may be a good idea for the industry to keep the infrastructure in case of future problems / as a backup / for national security reasons (like HAM radio still has a purpose if telecom goes down / is attacked), but the cost disparity of maintaining lines, advancing technology and such makes it headed for death for the consumer market.

At work... We had a radio system... Repeaters,  etc... All tore out.  You're right.   There needs to be redundancy.   In a national emergency,  we are pretty much screwed with cell service. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.