Do You Have a Land Line?

Gugny

Do You Have a Land Line?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have a Land Line?

• YES
    • NO

Dropped our land line about 2 years ago. All the friends, family, and work call the cell. Mostly telemarketers called land line. We eventually didn't even look at the phone to see who was calling. Easy decision, should have done it years earlier.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I find sound quality when it works better than my cell but I do not spend $160 a month for cell service and a phone which needs a car sized loan to buy.

Unfortunately Verizon land line does not have good quality and it is often "busy" when it is not. It is part of our FIOS package and we are considering removing it but in past when we removed something (channels, tuner, etc) they would raise prices and we know from comparing with others with similar packages it is not "universal" as they claim.

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Mine comes with the broadband deal. Seems quite antiquated but them's the rules.

Don't particularly use it but it's a useful backup plan if my phone ever has an issue.

If it's Spectrum you can have it removed from the package and save $10 per month. I was told by my rep that it had to be part of the deal, but I asked for a supervisor and found out that, like most things in life, it's negotiable.

• Like (+1) 1

We have one and I'm glad we do, because someone recently called on it and alerted me that my car warranty was about to expire!

Seriously, my wife keeps the books and she tells me it's cheaper, with the deal we have with Verizon, to have a landline.  She's pretty meticulous with the cashflow, so I know this is true, but it's really nothing more than an ornament in the kitchen.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 1

We have an Ooma (VoIP) device. The service is free, but we have to pay the FCC fees (~$5/mo). It's funny that we used to get our Internet via the phone lines, and now we get our phone via the Internet.

We hardly ever use our cell phones, so we have dirt-cheap pay-as-you-go plans, which cost us each about $8-10/month, depending on usage. The landline keeps the cell costs down and significantly reduces the number of people who know my cell #. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes it’s part of my internet bundle or whatever. That’s the # i use if I don’t want to give out my cell. I use it when I need to make a call and I want my cell phone available. I check the voice mail about once/week 

That’s our deal. Almost went to the effort of getting rid of it because of all the robocalls, but something changed there (some legislation?) and those have dried up or moved to my cell. (NO, I do NOT need your extended car warranty!!!) Change from AT&T to Spectrum cut the cost drastically. 

It was a HUGE issue for a while when our cell reception was terrible but our internet was too weak for an extender. My wife would have calls with hundreds of people on it and she’d have to go sit in the Starbucks parking lot for a good connection. AT&T certainly let us down leading to the change. 

My sister has a friend who keeps the landline just to call her cell when she can’t find it. Haha

Edited by Augie

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

We have one and I'm glad we do, because someone recently called on it and alerted me that my car warranty was about to expire!

Seriously, my wife keeps the books and she tells me it's cheaper, with the deal we have with Verizon, to have a landline.  She's pretty meticulous with the cashflow, so I know this is true, but it's really nothing more than an ornament in the kitchen.

Exact same thing here. It rings once in awhile but we never answer it, I don't think either of us know the number off of memory... its just there, a stagnant piece of nothing.

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

If it's Spectrum you can have it removed from the package and save $10 per month. I was told by my rep that it had to be part of the deal, but I asked for a supervisor and found out that, like most things in life, it's negotiable.

We just do Internet with Spectrum ($53/month), and I have antennas for over-the-air broadcast for teevee. The Spectrum Mobile is $18/mo per line and is a separate entity from Spectrum, seemingly. Good enough for me and I don’t see it changing. 

But yeah, the price for the bundling is cheaper for whatever reason if you bundle the three than just bundle cable & internet. Seems contrary to logic, but there it is. Nice to know that it’s negotiable tho.

I mean, I read awhile back that landlines were being necessarily phased out, but 🤷🏻‍♂️ it doesn’t seem like the companies are in a hurry.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1

Business Insider: Landlines predicted obsolete by 2020 in 2018.

I’ve read other ones saying landlines will be phased out by 2025.

It may be a good idea for the industry to keep the infrastructure in case of future problems / as a backup / for national security reasons (like HAM radio still has a purpose if telecom goes down / is attacked), but the cost disparity of maintaining lines, advancing technology and such makes it headed for death for the consumer market.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes it’s part of my internet bundle or whatever. That’s the # i use if I don’t want to give out my cell. I use it when I need to make a call and I want my cell phone available. I check the voice mail about once/week 

My phone has an answering machine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.