RT Daryl Williams - UFA  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye?

• Re-sign above market value if needed, whatever it takes to keep him
    • Re-sign at market value but if outbid by another team, let him walk
    • Make offer below market value and let walk if he finds more
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daryl Williams is a UFA in 2021. He will be 29 next season and started for the Bills at RT every game in 2020/21. He played 96% of snaps. He allowed 7 sacks ,22 pressures  and had 9 penalties. He was the 9th best blocking OT per PFF.  His market value is estimated to be 2 years, 15.7 mill (7.8 mill/yr) per Spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daryl-williams-16828/market-value/

Not expecting a long term deal based on injury history, but this is probably his last opportunity to cash in 

I view Williams as a bridge to a more permanent solution.  If they can get him for 2 years around Spotrac's estimate, that it a very good solution for now.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He stayed pretty healthy and regained his all pro form. I would love the have the guy back but let’s face it, even if the cap is a little lower someone is going to pay him top 5 RT money and that’s not something we can do 

Do you really think so? 

Top 5 RT:

Lane Johnson, Chiefs

Trent Brown, Raiders

Jack Conklin, Browns

Ju'Wan James, Broncos

Mitchel Schwartz, Chiefs

Next:

La'el Collins, Cowboys

Brian Bulaga, Chargers

George Fant, Jets

Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Lions

Rob Havenstein, Rams

According to @YoloinOhio post above, PFF calls him the 9th best (?pass?) blocking OT

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So the Williams stats you gave earlier were 7 sacks, 22 pressures, 9 penalties

Not sure how to translate that into "hits and hurries"?

It looks pretty clear that Wlliams was an upgrade, however, especially given we passed a lot more: 596 attempts this year, 513 last or 16% increase

Yeah, I was confused by that Spotrac valuation it said 2 year, $15.7M or $7.86M/yr but also 3 yr, $26.5, $8.86M

Overall I'm leaning towards sign him and work on the interior of the OL as well

The cover 1 almost scared me off too.  I’m just not confident in being able to upgrade the interior OL AND RT in the same offseason

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you really think so? 

Top 5 RT:

Lane Johnson, Chiefs

Trent Brown, Raiders

Jack Conklin, Browns

Ju'Wan James, Broncos

Mitchel Schwartz, Chiefs

Next:

La'el Collins, Cowboys

Brian Bulaga, Chargers

George Fant, Jets

Rob Havenstein, Rams

According to @YoloinOhio post above, PFF calls him the 9th best (?pass?) blocking OT

I'd put him in the 8th-12th range. Nice list btw👍

12 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I'd put him in the 8th-12th range. Nice list btw👍

So if we go with the valuation of 9th-ish, that would put him around Vaitai, who signed a 5 year, $45M contract with the Lions.

But, the details of that contract are interesting.  His salary is fully guaranteed 2020 and 2021, with a $7M signing bonus

That means he had only a $5.4M cap hit this season, $10.4 next and then from 2022 on, the dead hit for moving on starts at $4.2M then declines $1.4M/yr.

Vaitai is 28.  Williams is 29.

32 minutes ago, TPS said:

I view Williams as a bridge to a more permanent solution.  If they can get him for 2 years around Spotrac's estimate, that it a very good solution for now.

This isn't intended as an argument, I'm curious. Why do you see Williams as a bridge? He is 29, playing a position where quality players last into their mid-late 30s. Why can he not be our right tackle solution?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you really think so? 

Top 5 RT:

Lane Johnson, Chiefs

Trent Brown, Raiders

Jack Conklin, Browns

Ju'Wan James, Broncos

Mitchel Schwartz, Chiefs

Next:

La'el Collins, Cowboys

Brian Bulaga, Chargers

George Fant, Jets

Rob Havenstein, Rams

I think he will get the money. He’s the best tackle available. Let’s not forget he’s also been a starter at LT and guard I believe as well in Carolina (although not as good a performance in those spots) He was considered one of if not the best RT before his injury then Carolina moved him all over. He regained his form here and played at a really high level. It only takes one team with a need or idea to pay him top money. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So if we go with the valuation of 9th-ish, that would put him around Vaitai, who signed a 5 year, $45M contract with the Lions.

But, the details of that contract are interesting.  His salary is fully guaranteed 2020 and 2021, with a $7M signing bonus

That means he had only a $5.4M cap hit this season, $10.4 next and then from 2022 on, the dead hit for moving on starts at $4.2M then declines $1.4M/yr.

Vaitai is 28.  Williams is 29.

I'd be on that contract like white on rice! Here's to hoping.....

4 hours ago, TPS said:

I'd definitely bring him back for Spotrac's estimate of $7.8 mil/yr and a 2-yer deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daryl-williams-16828/market-value/

I can't click through there. Something wrong with the link, or something.

But that looks way way low to me. If they can get him for that I'm all for it. I think he's going to get a lot more than that.

• Agree 1

Not sure I'd be happy to see Williams leave and be replaced with (a) a cheaper FA, (b) a rookie, or (c) Ford. None of those sound very reassuring.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I can't click through there. Something wrong with the link, or something.

But that looks way way low to me. If they can get him for that I'm all for it. I think he's going to get a lot more than that.

The link to Spotrac is also on the front page of TBD, so you might have better luck using that.

Update: I just clicked on it again and didn't get the info I did the first time.  Maybe I somehow got to see the premium content...?

Edited by TPS

2 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

This isn't intended as an argument, I'm curious. Why do you see Williams as a bridge? He is 29, playing a position where quality players last into their mid-late 30s. Why can he not be our right tackle solution?

Williams is good, especially in pass blocking, but I think they can do better.  Personally, I'd like to see someone who is good at both pass and run blocking, and has a nastier attitude.  I'd like to see this a the C position too. Morse and Williams are both good, but I'd like to see them upgrade both over the next 2 years. 

That said, you can certainly make an argument to support your case, I'd just believe they can do better at these two positions.

• Like (+1) 1

If you can get Williams for the Spotrac valuation than you would do it in a heartbeat...

Good Spotrac...

I see Spotrac has valued Jon Feliciano  4 years at $33m..

Bad Spotrac....

Moral of the story... take Spotrac market valuations as a loose  guide only...

• Haha (+1) 3