YoloinOhio

RT Daryl Williams - UFA  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye?

• Re-sign above market value if needed, whatever it takes to keep him
    • Re-sign at market value but if outbid by another team, let him walk
    • Make offer below market value and let walk if he finds more
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

Daryl Williams is a UFA in 2021. He will be 29 next season and started for the Bills at RT every game in 2020/21. He played 96% of snaps. He allowed 7 sacks ,22 pressures  and had 9 penalties. He was the 9th best blocking OT per PFF.  His market value is estimated to be 2 years, 15.7 mill (7.8 mill/yr) per Spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daryl-williams-16828/market-value/

Not expecting a long term deal based on injury history, but this is probably his last opportunity to cash in 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

I think you keep Daryl.   He played very well all year and has been a good NFL player outside of the year he was recovering from injury.   He has the size the Bills are looking for on the line, and could solidify the spot for 3-4 years.    Given the cap, I'd normalize the deal across 4 years and see if he would take less in the 1st year.  

The Bills have a decision to make on the line.  I think they could easily cut ties with Morse, resign Williams, and move Feliciano to center.  A lot of big bodies in the draft at the guard position, and with those moves you come into 2021 with a much bigger and more physical line.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would like to get him in below market, but there are still some teams that have the cap to offer him more. I wouldn't pay him as much as we paid Dawkins, or more for that matter, but I would like to re-sign him. If we could get him back at the $7M-$9M for two or three years that would be ideal. I don't know where that would slot, but that would be where I drew the line. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll preface this with the admission that it is not my money. That said, we are building our team around Josh Allen, betting that he is our guy for the next ten to twelve years. That direction calls for the Bills to put a quality offensive line in front of him, allowing him to give us "The Josh Allen Experience" while minimizing the risk of injury. We found nugget of gold in Williams and I think we need to prioritize holding on to him. Cut and build with draft choices elsewhere, but build the best o-line we can.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not real sure but i thought in the AFC championship game i saw Williams take more than a couple of plays off when his guy got the corner on him it was like he just quit if that's his MO then we should get someone else to man that position he needs to play through the whistle !

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think you keep Daryl.   He played very well all year and has been a good NFL player outside of the year he was recovering from injury.   He has the size the Bills are looking for on the line, and could solidify the spot for 3-4 years.    Given the cap, I'd normalize the deal across 4 years and see if he would take less in the 1st year.  

The Bills have a decision to make on the line.  I think they could easily cut ties with Morse, resign Williams, and move Feliciano to center.  A lot of big bodies in the draft at the guard position, and with those moves you come into 2021 with a much bigger and more physical line.

Agree, we need some serious nasty to our fronts on the O-Line, and D-Line. 

• Agree 1

I would like to see him re-signed, but there is a fair chance we lose him to another team. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daryl Williams is a UFA in 2021. He will be 29 next season and started for the Bills at RT every game in 2020/21. He played 96% of snaps. He allowed 7 sacks ,22 pressures  and had 9 penalties. He was the 9th best blocking OT per PFF.  His market value is estimated to be 2 years, 15.7 mill (7.8 mill/yr) per Spotrac

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daryl-williams-16828/market-value/

Not expecting a long term deal based on injury history, but this is probably his last opportunity to cash in 

Just curious, how do those stats compare to Cody Ford/Ty Nsekhe last season?  Is that something you can look up?

I was "all in" as "resign Daryl Williams as our top priority" until I watched Cover1's run game breakdown, which pointed out that in fact, Williams struggled with run blocking at times.

Overall I feel our problems are bigger at Guard than at RT and we should try to bring him back at fair market value and work on upgrading the middle of the OL.

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Would like to have re-signed him already, probably too late now. As Josh gets better an uber talented oline becomes less necessary, so we have that going for us.

Wow, do I disagree

• Like (+1) 2

I voted for the first option based on his market value being 7.8 mill.  

of pay up to 10 mill because I would prefer not to use our first pick on a 2nd rd talent RT.  While Williams’ play declined as the season went on, he was good enough over the course of the year to warrant another season.  I’d prefer to make changes in the interior of the OL

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just curious, how do those stats compare to Cody Ford/Ty Nsekhe last season?  Is that something you can look up?

I was "all in" as "resign Daryl Williams as our top priority" until I watched Cover1's run game breakdown, which pointed out that in fact, Williams struggled with run blocking at times.

Overall I feel our problems are bigger at Guard than at RT and we should try to bring him back at fair market value and work on upgrading the middle of the OL.

Wow, do I disagree

Stats courtesy of the Locked on Bills podcast OL review last year 

ford

played in 15 games 

95% of snaps 

727 at RT

56 at RG

8 sacks 1 hit 26 hurries 10 penalties 

Nseckhe 

Played in 10 games,1 start 

35 percent of snaps 

0 sacks 4 Qb hits ,11 hurries, 6 penalties  ( 5 false starts ) - may have been a result of platooning as he didn’t have an issue with this when with WFT

Edited by YoloinOhio

IDK, I'm not a cap wizard but, I see other teams getting creating to keep sign their players (lookin at you Saints). I feel like we shore him up at market value, or get creative (within reason) to keep him around. Then all we have to worry about is between the tackles and I feel like we have some good building blocks there. If we're desperate to make room, id move on from Morse to save some money and try to keep Mongo too. 

*side note* I'm not breaking the bank for Milano, and I'd try to redo Brown. Lots of fat to be trimmed on the D-line, including trying to redo Hughes. I digress.

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stats courtesy of the Locked on Bills podcast OL review last year 

ford

played in 15 games 

95% of snaps 

727 at RT

56 at RG

8 sacks 1 hit 26 hurries 10 penalties 

Nseckhe 

Played in 10 games,1 start 

35 percent of snaps 

0 sacks 4 Qb hits ,11 hurries, 6 penalties  ( 5 false starts ) - may have been a result of platooning as he didn’t have an issue with this when with WFT

So the Williams stats you gave earlier were 7 sacks, 22 pressures, 9 penalties

Not sure how to translate that into "hits and hurries"?

It looks pretty clear that Wlliams was an upgrade, however, especially given we passed a lot more: 596 attempts this year, 513 last or 16% increase

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I voted for the first option based on his market value being 7.8 mill.  

of pay up to 10 mill because I would prefer not to use our first pick on a 2nd rd talent RT.  While Williams’ play declined as the season went on, he was good enough over the course of the year to warrant another season.  I’d prefer to make changes in the interior of the OL

Yeah, I was confused by that Spotrac valuation it said 2 year, $15.7M or $7.86M/yr but also 3 yr, $26.5, $8.86M

Overall I'm leaning towards sign him and work on the interior of the OL as well

• Like (+1) 1