OG Ike Boettger   

172 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye

2. 2. If re-sign, at which tender?

• 1st round - $4.766 mill
    • 2nd round - $3.384 mill
    • “Right of first refusal” - $2.133 mill

15 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

He's not even a capable backup. We should add an OL on draft day 1 or 2. Our weakness at G is the primary reason our run game struggled at times. Both Singletary and Moss ranked high in yards after initial contact. Our OL is still a work in progress.

I too would like to add a OG in the draft. Pick 30 is a nice spot to do that but i would be even more attracted to it if we can trade down into the 2nd and grab an extra pick in that range 

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Right of first refusal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boettger ended up as the Bills center if Feliciano walks and Morse is cut or gets concussed out of action again next season.

He's reportedly cross-trained to help anywhere. 

Didn't Boettger play C in the 2019 Week 17 game against the Jets?  I believe in his post season presser Beane said something about "that was probably asking too much" and that they decided to see how he'd develop if they focused on guard this season.

Ryan Bates is under contract for next year.  He played pretty well in the drive he took after Morse got concussed.  I believe the Bills see him as the backup center if they lose Feliciano and Morse is out of action.

I guess it all depends on what you do with Feliciano. If you give Mongo 5-7M a year, I'd give Boettger the lowest tender. If you don't re-sign Mongo than Boettger is your likely starter and putting a 2nd round tender on him seems like the right move. Winters is also a FA but he was beaten out by Boettger for the top backup job.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't Boettger play C in the 2019 Week 17 game against the Jets?  I believe in his post season presser Beane said something about "that was probably asking too much" and that they decided to see how he'd develop if they focused on guard this season.

Ryan Bates is under contract for next year.  He played pretty well in the drive he took after Morse got concussed.  I believe the Bills see him as the backup center if they lose Feliciano and Morse is out of action.

Oh Bates is definitely ahead of Boettger on the center depth chart.   But I think Bates might actually get first crack at right tackle next season if Williams is lost.    Sal Capaccio echoed that sentiment yesterday on WGR.  

I think conventional wisdom is Ford might get another shot at RT but I think they haven't been encouraged by his development and might just want to keep him at LG and hope he develops into a plus blocker next to Dawkins.   They've put in quite a bit of time developing Bates and they really like him.

In a scenario where they lose both Williams and Feliciano.........and knowing as they do that Morse is likely on borrowed time with the concussions.........it would be interesting to see if they pooled up savings and bought a top interior OL to anchor a supporting cast of Bates/Boettger/Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh Bates is definitely ahead of Boettger on the center depth chart.   But I think Bates might actually get first crack at right tackle next season if Williams is lost.    Sal Capaccio echoed that sentiment yesterday on WGR.  

I think conventional wisdom is Ford might get another shot at RT but I think they haven't been encouraged by his development and might just want to keep him at LG and hope he develops into a plus blocker next to Dawkins.   They've put in quite a bit of time developing Bates and they really like him.

In a scenario where they lose both Williams and Feliciano.........and knowing as they do that Morse is likely on borrowed time with the concussions.........it would be interesting to see if they pooled up savings and bought a top interior OL to anchor a supporting cast of Bates/Boettger/Ford.

Question: has Bates actually played at RT, and if so which games?

I know he saw some playing time at tackle, but I thought it was LT while Nsekhe came in at RT.

Also, what have you seen from Ford at LG?  Because the run blocking I saw was not at all promising.  On the one hand, it seemed like he just couldn't handle blocks to one side (side he was wearing a brace on).  On the other hand, I can't find that he was ever listed on the injury report for an arm or shoulder injury, which does not give me warm feelings about Ford's future play at guard.  On the third hand, if his (reported) lower body injuries were limiting his mobility, he could have had trouble moving his feet to keep correct leverage.  🤷‍♂️

I think we need to bring in the best interior OLman we can get our hands on either draft or FA.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: has Bates actually played at RT, and if so which games?

I know he saw some playing time at tackle, but I thought it was LT while Nsekhe came in at RT.

Also, what have you seen from Ford at LG?  Because the run blocking I saw was not at all promising.  On the one hand, it seemed like he just couldn't handle blocks to one side (side he was wearing a brace on).  On the other hand, I can't find that he was ever listed on the injury report for an arm or shoulder injury, which does not give me warm feelings about Ford's future play at guard.  On the third hand, if his (reported) lower body injuries were limiting his mobility, he could have had trouble moving his feet to keep correct leverage.  🤷‍♂️

I think we need to bring in the best interior OLman we can get our hands on either draft or FA.

Bates was Dawkins backup at LT last year.   He has played some right tackle,  I think his first looks were actually there and center in preseason after they traded for him.    Trey Adams is another guy to keep an eye on.   

I think Ford was bad at LG but Beane is invested in him and I think he will get EVERY chance to prove he isn't one of the best 5.   

If you go original round tender, I think he’s gone. There is too much upside there that I think teams with cap space would sign him up. What’s stopping a team like the Jets from signing a guy like Brandon Scherff and a cheaper guy like Boettger to rebuild their o-line in one offseason? At the second round tender he’s more than likely back. This is what you are supposed to do, draft, sign and develop guys and then re-sign them. Now that he has emerged, it makes no sense to push him away. I thought his technique was really good and that he was one of our better offensive linemen this year. 

Where I struggle is when people want to move on from this guy at 3 million but want to give 7-8 million to Feliciano. Feliciano is a below average depth guard. He’s not going to get better. Boettger and Ford have upside and I think they are the two starting guards next year, assuming Williams is back. I thought Boettger played very really well at that LG spot and is totally worth that second round tender. I do not think guard is a spot of tremendous need because I think the starters are already here and you just need competent depth. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

I like Boat Anchor (my nickname for him)

With a years experience under his belt he now knows what it takes to hold a starting guard spot in the NFL.

I would guess that he gets offered a 3 year deal by the Bills at 2-3m per

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If you go original round tender, I think he’s gone. There is too much upside there that I think teams with cap space would sign him up. What’s stopping a team like the Jets from signing a guy like Brandon Scherff and a cheaper guy like Boettger to rebuild their o-line in one offseason? At the second round tender he’s more than likely back. This is what you are supposed to do, draft, sign and develop guys and then re-sign them. Now that he has emerged, it makes no sense to push him away. I thought his technique was really good and that he was one of our better offensive linemen this year. 

Where I struggle is when people want to move on from this guy at 3 million but want to give 7-8 million to Feliciano. Feliciano is a below average depth guard. He’s not going to get better. Boettger and Ford have upside and I think they are the two starting guards next year, assuming Williams is back. I thought Boettger played very really well at that LG spot and is totally worth that second round tender. I do not think guard is a spot of tremendous need because I think the starters are already here and you just need competent depth. 

I think he may want to stay here with a young winning team that has just found its way.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2021 at 5:27 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I too would like to add a OG in the draft. Pick 30 is a nice spot to do that but i would be even more attracted to it if we can trade down into the 2nd and grab an extra pick in that range 

I would much rather draft TE or LB (especially if Milano is gone) and fill OL in the 3rd or later rounds.

5 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

No brainer, re-sign him and make it the 2nd round tender.

Adequate as a starter, good depth, and he's been with us since we signed him as an undrafted player. Keep the chemistry going.

Absolutely.

And this is Interior OL, a position that is much more valuable and sought after than Punter and even CB, where our other RFAs play. So because of position, I say you make it the 2nd round tender.

OL are valuable in this league. Even "good to ok" guys like Boettger. You gotta keep them around until you have a better replacement. And even then, you don't cut the guy, you cut from the bottom of the list.

On 2/6/2021 at 8:27 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I cannot see a rookie becoming an instant starter on this offense, even at 30
 Draft/invest today for future upgrade at O line.

Bills have kept him around long enough to think they like him. Starter ? not sure.
 I would keep him though   3 years perhaps

On 2/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, frostbitmic said:

I guess it all depends on what you do with Feliciano. If you give Mongo 5-7M a year, I'd give Boettger the lowest tender. If you don't re-sign Mongo than Boettger is your likely starter and putting a 2nd round tender on him seems like the right move. Winters is also a FA but he was beaten out by Boettger for the top backup job.

absolutely should move on from Winters. Draft his replacement,  even if low floor high ceiling . Take a shot.