Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

13 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I share your concerns about the oversight, but I believe his drug conviction was a misdemeanor and the gun charge was a felony. Since they happened back in 2007 or so, he might have been on probation for awhile that eventually ended. Drug testing is certainly possible and may even be in Reid's contract, but how do you test someone for alcohol abuse ? 

you put a six pack in his workplace office minifridge and then count the remaining cans after he leaves to drive home.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

How do you know that the son routinely got behind the wheel when intoxicated? If that was the case how do you know that Andy knew about it? Why do you assume that the coaches knew he was still  struggling with addiction issues? You are making a lot of assumptions without knowing all the facts of the situation.

Reid's son was involved in a reckless and dangerous criminal act that has seriously injured a child. He will be held accountable for his actions. And that is how it should be. Where I disagree with your stance is that you are assuming some of the blame for the son's actions on others. And you are doing it without knowledge of the situation but simply based on your assumptions. Assumptions are not a good basis to make conclusions from.  When you don't fully know what is going on it might be advisable to wait for more of the facts of the case to come out. Then you would be in a better position to make judgment. 

Assumptions and opinions are what this forum is about. I am basing mine on this person's history of irresponsible and criminal behavior including a DUI and pulling a gun in a road rage incident. A player or coach with this criminal history would be precluded, in the majority of cases from working in the NFL. Reid hired his son knowing this history of alcohol related criminality. If his behavior and drinking wasn't being monitored, it should have. If you want to give the organization and Andy the benefit of an investigation fine. I'm sure the parents of the precious children who were plowed into on the on ramp of a highway in KC would disagree. 

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How do you know that the son routinely got behind the wheel when intoxicated? If that was the case how do you know that Andy knew about it? Why do you assume that the coaches knew he was still  struggling with addiction issues? You are making a lot of assumptions without knowing all the facts of the situation.

Reid's son was involved in a reckless and dangerous criminal act that has seriously injured a child. He will be held accountable for his actions. And that is how it should be. Where I disagree with your stance is that you are assuming some of the blame for the son's actions on others. And you are doing it without knowledge of the situation but simply based on your assumptions. Assumptions are not a good basis to make conclusions from.  When you don't fully know what is going on it might be advisable to wait for more of the facts of the case to come out. Then you would be in a better position to make judgment. 

It’s his second DUI, I think it’s a fairly safe assumption.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I was looking over this thread once again and am not so sure what you meant by the above.

HBF, did you mean that Reid knew that his kid was drinking all of the time, or on that particular day? I know that an alcoholic can have a relapse after being 100% sober for very long periods of time. 

Btw, this was a very informative, well moderated thread. I'm glad that people who have some experience with addicts were kind enough to share their personal stories and I wish to thank them.

Thanks.  I meant that in general, as an employer (HC) working closely with his employees (Assistant coaches) long hours every day, if Reid's son had relapsed and was using/drinking again, Reid probably saw signs.  IME, when a boss or a coworker is using or drinking, they think they're concealing it but it's an "open secret" where sometimes, for various reasons, those most concerned may be blind to the signs.   They don't want it to be true, so they miss them.

Shakespeare sonnet 138 starts out "When my love swears that she is made of truth, I do believe her, though I know she lies".  It was written about a romantic lover but applicable to all the people we love.  Part of you knows, but you don't want it to be so, so it's difficult to let yourself believe it and you tell that part you're imagining things and need to have more faith. 

Of course, it's just a guess based on past experience with co-workers, boss, and friends who are parents who've been through this hell.

My heart goes out to all the people who have had this experience on this board.  It's a living hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s his second DUI, I think it’s a fairly safe assumption.

The first DUI was 13 years ago in PA, lot of people who raise hell in their 20s settle down in their 30s especially once "married with kids".  Britt Reid is 35 yrs old, married with 3 kids.

For me, it was the cryptic phrase in the warrant "a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts" .  Even our LEO members don't seem to know what it means precisely, but the best guess seems to be that he had previous stops for DUI in MO but pled to a lesser charge, 6x.  IE ongoing problem in MO.

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When did he have his first DUI? @Hapless Bills Fan stated it was 13 yrs ago. Does that indicate that he regularly drives under the influence? I can't say based on that information and neither can you. 

You know, John, there's a lot of information on these points up thread including a link to the warrant application last week and links to stories about his previous incidents.  

I treasure the compliment above that this has been a productive and educational thread on a difficult topic for some.

I don't see how it will help it stay that way if you're going to repeatedly reiterate questions to which you could find the answer either upthread or on the internet.

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No doubt he will if he is ever allowed to drive again.  

Someone in the organization could have spoken up at some point.  I bet this was a poorly kept secret in house...

That's my guess.  Of course it's only my guess (based on life experience with colleagues/boss drinking at work)

But various media members are calling for the Chiefs to conduct a transparent investigation:

Among the first things the Chiefs need to investigate is if Reid was drinking, where was he doing it prior to getting behind the wheel of the truck?

Due to strict NFL COVID protocols it would be newsworthy if a coach went to a bar, a restaurant or even a friend’s house to have some drinks. Any such contact could cause not only Britt Reid to miss the Super Bowl, but any other coach, player or staff member within the Chiefs’ organization who got anywhere near him.

So he probably wasn’t at a bar.

The place to start, of course, is the team facility, which sits adjacent to Arrowhead Stadium. The crash occurred near there. According to public records, Britt Reid resides at a home in Overland Park, Kansas, located about 30 miles away. I-435 is the obvious route to get there.

Presumably Reid, like any NFL coach on any game week, let alone Super Bowl game week, was putting in long hours in preparation. Like many work environments, it’s not unusual for alcohol to be in team facilities.

If Reid came straight from work, then the bigger question for the Chiefs isn’t which coaches are on the team flight Saturday, but what exactly is going on inside their facility.

It shouldn’t take too long to find out. NFL teams and their buildings are heavy on security and video monitoring. It’s also a busy place these days. The team needs to be upfront and transparent, immediately.

Imma guess here that the team will see its needs differently.

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's my guess.  Of course it's only my guess (based on life experience with colleagues/boss drinking at work)

But various media members are calling for the Chiefs to conduct a transparent investigation:

Imma guess here that the team will see its needs differently.

I wouldn't count on Reid's staff to divulge the truth about what they saw or didn't see regarding his son.  The press could do a far more credible investigation with inside the building sources.  I don't imagine his road raging, gun waving, drug emporium selling, drunk driving, possibly child killing son is a treasured colleague in that building.

Here’s a very pertinent article to what’s been discussed.  I’d didn’t see it posted, my apologizes if it had been.  The writer heavily goes after the lack of response from KC

https://sports.yahoo.com/chiefs-owe-more-than-thoughts-and-prayers-to-family-of-5-yearold-fighting-for-life-after-crash-with-britt-reid-184443680.html

Here’s what we know:

- The 5 year old girl (Ariel), still in a coma. 
- GoFundMe campaign has raised close to $400,000 mostly in small donations. 

- Kansas City Chiefs, Andy Reid, or the Hunt family has not reached out to the family in any way.  They have not donated any money to the GoFundMe, nor have the offered - unless anonymously.  Even so, most donations were fairly small amounts.

- Sounds like a DUI conclusion is all for forgone and everyone knows it, based on language in police report.

-Britt Reid had surgery after the accident and is still employed as a coach on the team.

Most interesting part is here:

- Many wondered what Britt was doing as OLB coach to begin with.  He went from prison to assistant coach in less than 5 years.  He has been viewed as a nepotism hire.  

- The accident took place near the Chiefs facility. Due to COVID protocols it’s not likely he drank at a restaurant/bar/friends house.  Britt lives 30 minutes away from the facility and was likely on his way home.   The Chiefs probably know when he left the facility and what he was doing inside.

All in all, this seems like a really bad situation for Britt and more heartache for the Reid family.  

I really am praying for Ariel

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Everything that could have gone wrong for KC in the run up to this game just did. Big snow storm puts off when KC could get to the game, coaches son gets in a pretty serious DWI accident and in the second half of the AFCCG your start LT goes down and creates even bigger O-line issues. As good as Tampa was KC just did not get handed the best hand.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

If that child dies, he is going to jail for quite some time...

He might be even if she doesn't. At this point based on his history and anecdotal evidence I would say he deserves it.

Another point is Reid had another son die of an overdose and do jail time. I think it's safe to say a lot of NFL coaches are miserable parents. Any 24/7 job takes you away from your family is going to be a challenge. I imagine you have to have a plan and be very dedicated to whatever time off you have to be dedicated to them. 

Even the "great" Tony Dungy went back and coached after his kid killed himself. I thought it was a scum bag move personally but I care about my family so what do I know. He had a enough money in his pocket to walk away from work forever, didn't even take the day. I've never really thought much of him since then. 

There are hundreds of examples of NFL coaches and broken families. 

Edited by blitzboy54
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

He might be even if she doesn't. At this point based on his history and anecdotal evidence I would say he deserves it.

Another point is Reid had another son die of an overdose and do jail time. I think it's safe to say a lot of NFL coaches are miserable parents. Any 24/7 job takes you away from your family is going to be a challenge. I imagine you have to have a plan and be very dedicated to whatever time off you have to be dedicated to them. 

Even the "great" Tony Dungy went back and coached after his kid killed himself. I thought it was a scum bag move personally but I care about my family so what do I know. He had a enough money in his pocket to walk away from work forever, didn't even take the day. I've never really thought much of him since then. 

I'd be onboard with this except Reid has 3 other kids who appear to have turned out OK. 

7 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I'd be onboard with this except Reid has 3 other kids who appear to have turned out OK. 

If the standard is not being a criminal or dead then I suppose. I have 3 kids not sure I would consider just one of them dead or a drug addict a success.  

11 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

If the standard is not being a criminal or dead then I suppose. I have 3 kids not sure I would consider just one of them dead or a drug addict a success.  

If you believe the stories written while Reid was in Philly, sounds like Andy and his wife did everything humanly possible to help both the son that died and also Britt. Some kids are hell bent on self-destruction for whatever reason and there's nothing a parent can do to stop it ... especially when they get older.  One of the quotes from Garrett, the son that overdosed, was that he really enjoyed being a drug dealer in the Philly hoods and having everyone know who he was. You're right in that Andy was probably away a lot and the kids had a lot of time and $ on their hands and quite possibly that contributed to the mess we see now. 

Edited by Roy Hobbs

1 hour ago, blitzboy54 said:

@#$@% what a Hella bad take. 

Depression, suicide of a young person, is a terrible terrible thing.  We can't imagine. One of my bosses had a son who suicided at age 17.   Son was a star athlete, lots of friends, no one knew where his head was until it was found with a bullet in it.  That man will never get over it, Never. 

If you come out of the "Hood" (the Parent"Hood") with a healthy and reasonably well-adjusted adult kid you are blessed, Blessed.  Because in hindsight sometimes you learn how easily it could have gone another way, despite all the parents' love and care and attention.  All of the stuff we say to our kids trying to raise them, the time we lost our temper and maybe said a couple things we didn't really mean, maybe three flaps of a butterfly's wings away from pushing our kid down that awful road.   Parenting is a non-stop montage of humbling experience.

Everybody deals with grief in their own way.  When Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman's first wife Irene died, he says he got back to work at the Manhattan Project as fast as possible.  People asked about Irene and he said "She died. How's the Project?"  He didn't want to talk about it.  He was grieving, but he threw himself into his work.  That was how he dealt with his grief. 

I'm not going to judge a guy I don't know what kind of parent he is.  A lot of parents have high-powered careers that take them away from their families. Armed forces.  Physicians.  Executives.  It all depends on what you do with the time you give your kids, and none of us know that for these coaches and their families. 

There are literally millions of examples of broken families and children who suffer from addiction in all walks of life.  It's far from unique to NFL coaches and I can't even tell you if it's more common there.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

If you believe the stories written while Reid was in Philly, sounds like Andy and his wife did everything humanly possible to help both the son that died and also Britt. Some kids are hell bent on self-destruction for whatever reason and there's nothing a parent can do to stop it ... especially when they get older.  One of the quotes from Garrett, the son that overdosed, was that he really enjoyed being a drug dealer in the Philly hoods and having everyone know who he was. You're right in that Andy was probably away a lot and the kids had a lot of time and $ on their hands and quite possibly that contributed to the mess we see now.

Addiction is an insidious thing.

Someone I know explained it this way.  Suppose you have a distraction at work - who knows what.  Watching Tiny House Nation on Youtube.  Let's say you successfully keep off it and work, 99%, 90%, even only 80% of the time.  Chances are you can be pretty productive, and the time you give in to your distraction won't interfere with your ability to work, parent, live the rest of your life.  But if you have a recovered addiction, if you even give into it once, it can throw you right back into the heart of it biochemically and you have to go through the whole tortured process of getting clean once again.

And that's how it is for the rest of your life. 

Edit: this is a story that moved me when I read it, about a football player and his journey with addiction - from playing in 2 Superbowls, to sleeping under a bridge, being found by a young photojournalist who did a story on him, to getting sober and finding work and love.  The part that stayed with me from the "Happy Recovery" part of the story: "“It only takes one slip,” he said, “and I’ll end up right back where you found me."  And he did.  https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/article_d32d7ad2-8140-502d-b65a-7c35d2aa8999.html

Having an addition, it must be hell.  But having someone you care about struggle with addiction, it's also hell.

• Like (+1) 2