Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

First....before I get shelled here...I hope he gets the book thrown at him and gets the max....and that the girl recovers and gets whatever they can get from whoever needs to be sending it....the whole thing is awful...

I just wanted to answer the question about the speed on this particular on ramp as I am very familiar with the area.

The ramp this happend on is a LONG ramp.  ...there are 2 ramps that come out of Arrowhead and the practice facility.  the first one becomes part of the 2nd one before it finally merges onto the interstate there.  I don't know where he entered...either way, the ramps are long, but if you enter the longest ramp, it's nearly a mile long....plent of time and space to get up to a high speed...even the shorter 2nd ramp, is almost half a mile long....(this is probalby the one he took from what I understand)  

Even sadder is that these 2 ramps are both very rarely used by non gameday traffic...so it's not a high traffic area at all at the time when this happend.

Lastly....given the area.....it's HIGHLY unlikely that he was drinking somewhere other than at hte Chiefs facilities...the area simply doesn't have the sort of establishments nearby where you'd stop and get drunk....coming down the ramp he came down....take my word for it....you'd only use that ramp if you were coming from the stadium or practice facility.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hardcore alcoholics aren’t constrained by “normal” places in space and time when it comes to drinking. I had a coworker once who was killed by a drunk driver during the morning commute at 8:30am. I don’t think it’s too big a leap to guess this guy got sh**faced at the team facility. 

Edited by jimmy10
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

Hardcore alcoholics aren’t constrained by “normal” places in space and time when it comes to drinking. I had a coworker once who was killed by a drunk driver during the morning commute at 8:30am. I don’t think it’s too big a leap to guess this guy got sh**faced at the team facility. 

or in a car.  I had a coworker who had a "thermos if coffee" which rarely had coffee in it. 

He spilled it once at work and what came out was definitely not coffee.

I'd see him in his car with thermos open many times in parking lot.

He had an accident while driving company rental car leaving a customer site and had an accident.

He had barely left customer site, no time for stopping for a drink, and was cited for DWI and open container.

He lost job and clearance. Company refused to pay bills because he was at fault.

11 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

or in a car.  I had a coworker who had a "thermos if coffee" which rarely had coffee in it. 

He spilled it once at work and what came out was definitely not coffee.

I'd see him in his car with thermos open many times in parking lot.

He had an accident while driving company rental car leaving a customer site and had an accident.

He had barely left customer site, no time for stopping for a drink, and was cited for DWI and open container.

He lost job and clearance. Company refused to pay bills because he was at fault.

As previously speculated, he was likely drinking at work.  

Read an article that said the family of the little girl isn't happy with the felony dui charge he got and thought it wasn't enough. I'm not sure what else he could be chrged with though considering the circumstances.

I mean nobody got killed (thankfully), so what else could he be charged with that would be more severe? I get why the family feels that way for sure but I think the charge he got was about the most he could get pinned with as far as I know.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Read an article that said the family of the little girl isn't happy with the felony dui charge he got and thought it wasn't enough. I'm not sure what else he could be chrged with though considering the circumstances.

I mean nobody got killed (thankfully), so what else could he be charged with that would be more severe? I get why the family feels that way for sure but I think the charge he got was about the most he could get pinned with as far as I know.

classic case of punishing the outcome instead of the action.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Get creative and go for assault with a deadly weapon.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

As previously speculated, he was likely drinking at work.  

The family’s attorneys should aggressively pursue the Chiefs.  If there was a party or even if he could be seen drinking on a security camera, I’d think it’s possible that the pockets got deeper.  If the security footage is unavailable/deleted, there could be an angle I’d think.

33 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The family’s attorneys should aggressively pursue the Chiefs.  If there was a party or even if he could be seen drinking on a security camera, I’d think it’s possible that the pockets got deeper.  If the security footage is unavailable/deleted, there could be an angle I’d think.

I guess they could, not sure how much more severe that is than the felony dui and facing a 7 yr bid. But that family wants him charged with everything possible.

3 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Got a link?

Edit: OK I found one

The family’s attorney, Tom Porto, told local media that prosecutors charged Reid with what they could, given the restrictions of the state law.

Local attorneys who focus on DWI laws concurred. Even though multiple vehicles were hit and multiple people were injured (both Miller and her sister who was with her, Angela Saenz, also lost consciousness in the crash) Missouri law considers it just one incident and thus just one crime to charge. That isn’t the case everywhere.

“If this was [across the border] in Kansas, I bet there’d be multiple felony battery charges,” said Chris Scott, a former local prosecutor and now defense attorney for the Christopher Scott Law Offices in Kansas City.

That’s little solace to the family though. Part of their anger stems from Reid’s lengthy history of serious criminal and substance abuse, even if it may not qualify as “chronic” to the State of Missouri.

In 2007, the now 35-year-old was sentenced in Pennsylvania to up to 23 months in prison for a road-rage incident (he was paroled after five months into a treatment program). That same year he pleaded guilty to DUI and drug charges stemming from a separate incident where he crashed his vehicle into a shopping cart in a parking lot. He was in possession of more than 200 prescription pills that day.

Yet here he was, all these years later, allegedly drinking and driving and caring about no one but himself.

But my guess is that if the prosecutors wanted to, they could come up with additional crimes and charges:

-reckless driving?

-endangering a child?

-attempted manslaughter?

Not a lawyer, it just seems that when prosecutors really want to get someone, they find additional charges.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Got a link?

Edit: OK I found one

But my guess is that if the prosecutors wanted to, they could come up with additional crimes and charges:

-reckless driving?

-endangering a child?

-attempted manslaughter?

Not a lawyer, it just seems that when prosecutors really want to get someone, they find additional charges.

They could add those additional charges but most would get dropped anyway. Also with the way money talks he may even just get a mild wrist slap. 

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I doubt you would need video.  I bet it was an open secret this guy was boozing in the building on the regular.  It will come out.

30 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

They could add those additional charges but most would get dropped anyway. Also with the way money talks he may even just get a mild wrist slap. 

His money talked him out of jail time the last DUI he had.  It's not going to help him now.

18 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

First....before I get shelled here...I hope he gets the book thrown at him and gets the max....and that the girl recovers and gets whatever they can get from whoever needs to be sending it....the whole thing is awful...

I just wanted to answer the question about the speed on this particular on ramp as I am very familiar with the area.

The ramp this happend on is a LONG ramp.  ...there are 2 ramps that come out of Arrowhead and the practice facility.  the first one becomes part of the 2nd one before it finally merges onto the interstate there.  I don't know where he entered...either way, the ramps are long, but if you enter the longest ramp, it's nearly a mile long....plent of time and space to get up to a high speed...even the shorter 2nd ramp, is almost half a mile long....(this is probalby the one he took from what I understand)  

Even sadder is that these 2 ramps are both very rarely used by non gameday traffic...so it's not a high traffic area at all at the time when this happend.

Lastly....given the area.....it's HIGHLY unlikely that he was drinking somewhere other than at hte Chiefs facilities...the area simply doesn't have the sort of establishments nearby where you'd stop and get drunk....coming down the ramp he came down....take my word for it....you'd only use that ramp if you were coming from the stadium or practice facility.

I don’t think anyone is defending him going 84.9MPH while drunk. But your explanation of the ramp does help clarify this in my mind. The way they described an “on ramp,” it made it sound like your traditional on ramp, and I had no idea how someone could accelerate like that on a normal on ramp (which I would expect would have a sharp curve too). This sounds almost more like some long access road. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think anyone is defending him going 84.9MPH while drunk. But your explanation of the ramp does help clarify this in my mind. The way they described an “on ramp,” it made it sound like your traditional on ramp, and I had no idea how someone could accelerate like that on a normal on ramp (which I would expect would have a sharp curve too). This sounds almost more like some long access road. 

Yeah, that's kind of what it's like.  Long two-lane access road that feeds straight into the highway.

• Thank you (+1) 1