Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Update

Sounds as though there may be some impairment 😥

Hopefully therapy will help a lot and the family will be able to afford the best.

Luckily the financial part shouldn’t be an issue, given who the at fault party is. 

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

The NFL’s broom and rug appear to be in good working order.

What makes you say this?

Last I heard, the crash investigation is still ongoing and is expected to take 30-60 days. 

Britt Reid is no longer employed by the Chiefs.

Though when the investigation is complete, if he isn't barred from coaching in the NFL for life, I will agree with you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What makes you say this?

Last I heard, the crash investigation is still ongoing and is expected to take 30-60 days. 

Britt Reid is no longer employed by the Chiefs.

Though when the investigation is complete, if he isn't barred from coaching in the NFL for life, I will agree with you.

Dude his contract expired.  The NFL hasn’t done anything other than prepare to cover their own behinds.  The interminable “investigation” is only helping that cause and it is a joke.  They have his BAC and other data and the forensics from the physical crash.  What could possibly take that long?

52 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Dude his contract expired.  The NFL hasn’t done anything other than prepare to cover their own behinds.  The interminable “investigation” is only helping that cause and it is a joke.  They have his BAC and other data and the forensics from the physical crash.  What could possibly take that long?

You think the Chiefs "got to" the cops and are making them bury their criminal investigation?

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why do you think it's taking abnormally long and what does that have to do with the Chiefs and former employee Brit Reid?  You clearly implied the cops are slow rolling the investigation

Ah the shifting sands of WEO posts.  I’ll skip this round thanks.

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So what are you trying to say?

Not that the police buried the investigation as accused.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Not what I said.

So what are you saying? 

It sounds like you expect the NFL to take an unemployed coach that is under investigation and throw him out of the league?

Except that is not how the NFL does anything with conduct.  If he was still employed- they could put him on the Commissioners List like the players until the investigation is complete, but guys that are unemployed typically do not find themselves on the list.  AB was not on the list after his last release - it was made clear that if signed they would move him to the list, but he was not.

Reid was not going to be signed by anyone - so there is no use right now for the NFL to do anything with him.  Even once the investigation is complete - I would expect them to quietly inform teams what they already know - he will not be allowed to coach again.

They will let this play out and then decide if the KC team deserves any additional blame (fine/loss of draft pick) and then let the courts handle this guy.  What would be interesting is if his contract was not up - then I would think he would have been put on the List, but I am sure the team and the NFL knew the situation and knew there was no need to act - the contract takes care of itself.

There is just no other reason for the NFL to act another way in this situation - it does not benefit them to come out and punish a guy that is out of the league and it has no impact on the investigation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

When investigating officers are interviewed and say that such things "typically" take that period of time, I tend to believe maybe there's more to it I don't understand

When our local folks here who are in the business confirm that for whatever reason it takes them that period of time to get results, again - maybe that's how long it takes.

You can believe it shouldn't take that long, take that up with the gendarmes in your locale

23 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

No, it's not.  She and her family have a long, long road ahead of her.  I wish them courage, and I wish her the best possible outcome she can have.

In a right world, the Reid family would accept responsibility and see to it that she has every facility to assure her of that. 

In the world we live in, assistance would be taken as an admission of guilt. The matter will probably churn through the courts for the next 5-10 years.  Thankfully due to the generosity of the GoFundMe the family will have some resources, though with medical care and rehab that amount will go fast.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

No and treatment will likely be expensive as well as laywer for family trying to prevent him from dodging responsibility.

Chiefs did not renew his contract.

If NFL prohibits him from coaching how will he pay costs?  Don't say his father, he is not responsible for this.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, it's not.  She and her family have a long, long road ahead of her.  I wish them courage, and I wish her the best possible outcome she can have.

In a right world, the Chiefs and the NFL would accept responsibility and see to it that she has every facility to assure her of that. 

I agree about the long, long road but I am not sure how Chiefs and NFL are responsible for this.

Would your company pay for treatment for girl?  Most won't unless he was working at the time.

Mine certainly would not but likely I'd lose job which would not help paying these costs.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I agree about the long, long road but I am not sure how Chiefs and NFL are responsible for this.

Would your company pay for treatment for girl?  Most won't unless he was working at the time.

Mine certainly would not but likely I'd lose job which would not help paying these costs.

I changed my post to the Reid family after you replied, and we probably don't want to go down the rabbit hole of extensive discussion by us "sea lawyers".

Briefly though, as I understand it, the name of the game in a liability lawsuit is the lawyers to do everything they can to loop in anyone associated who has money.  Andy Reid, the Chiefs, and the NFL have money.  Britt Reid, unless he has good auto insurance with a high liability limit, does not.

As to the grounds for looping them in or the likelihood of success, I'm not qualified to speak (though I'm pretty confident that won't stop others equally unqualified)

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In a right world, the Reid family would accept responsibility and see to it that she has every facility to assure her of that. 

In the world we live in, assistance would be taken as an admission of guilt. The matter will probably churn through the courts for the next 5-10 years.  Thankfully due to the generosity of the GoFundMe the family will have some resources, though with medical care and rehab that amount will go fast.

I actually expect Reid is going to settle this thing before a lawsuit is even filed.  The family will likely be able to get a really great personal injury lawyer given the publicity and the deep pockets; and most of the really good lawyers, can easily settle something like this right away.  Makes no sense for anyone to fight this in the courts.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually expect Reid is going to settle this thing before a lawsuit is even filed.  The family will likely be able to get a really great personal injury lawyer given the publicity and the deep pockets; and most of the really good lawyers, can easily settle something like this right away.  Makes no sense for anyone to fight this in the courts.

I think that would be the "right" thing to happen but I wouldn't bet on it.  "Right" in quotes because there is no actual right in the case, just mitigating the wrongs.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that would be the "right" thing to happen but I wouldn't bet on it.  "Right" in quotes because there is no actual right in the case, just mitigating the wrongs.

yeah, you could be right. we will see. I do think though most personal injury lawyers with a slam dunk case know how to get these things done. It’s in their interest not to pursue it in court, which will just slow down how they get paid. And the math here isn’t going to be disputed Much— I think you get someone to put together basically a life care plan and estimate of lost earning capacity. If I had to guess, this is going to be like a $10M+.

the one issue might be whether Britt Reid doesn’t have the money and his dad or the chiefs won’t contribute to a settlement.