Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

13 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

And another twist to the story - 

https://fox4kc.com/news/missouri-department-of-revenue-assisting-in-britt-reid-crash-investigation/

Not sure what impact this would have on a case against Reid. 

brings in more liability possibly.  if they knew he had a history of drinking and driving they can be held liable.  i could be wrong but someone once explained to me that if you didnt know someone had a history of dwi's and you lent your car to them you're not at fault but if you knew and lend them your car you are at fault. 

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

brings in more liability possibly.  if they knew he had a history of drinking and driving they can be held liable.  i could be wrong but someone once explained to me that if you didnt know someone had a history of dwi's and you lent your car to them you're not at fault but if you knew and lend them your car you are at fault. 

Yeah there's some specific stuff about driving a car with dealer plates I'm not too familiar with - basically there's a time limit on how long someone can drive a car with dealer plates without filling out documentation, it's like 2 days in MO - the point being to keep dealer plates from being an end-around to actual state registration.

The fact that the rep at the dealer in question is ducking the media suggests that perhaps their practices may not bear scrutiny

But I don't think it has much effect on any case against Britt Reid.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As to the former, doesn't that happen with the adult children of most notable people, until/unless they become notable in their own right?  The children of famous or notable people in the news seem commonly referred to as "so and so's son" or "so and so's son-in-law"

As to the latter, I agree that by age 35, a man should be considered responsible for his own actions and not have them laid to the door of his dad, but  in this case, his Dad has chosen to hire him for a premier coaching position for which his qualifications may be questioned, and he was likely driving away from his job location when the crash occurred.  So there's that.

Reid, the father and the boss, had one son OD'd/died at work.  His other son got drunk at work and then hit one/two cars on an exit ramp, putting a child into a coma.

Forget about as a parent, as the boss, the supervision of these 2 particular employees (both with very well known substance abuse issues and criminal histories) was...sub-optimal.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Reid, the father and the boss, had one son OD'd/died at work.  His other son got drunk at work and then hit one/two cars on an exit ramp, putting a child into a coma.

Forget about as a parent, as the boss, the supervision of these 2 particular employees (both with very well known substance abuse issues and criminal histories) was...sub-optimal.

Two cars, and two-lane entrance ramp not exit ramp, but otherwise yeah. I Hear Ya.

It is not yet known Britt Reid got drunk at work, to be fair.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Two cars, and two-lane entrance ramp not exit ramp, but otherwise yeah. I Hear Ya.

It is not yet known Britt Reid got drunk at work, to be fair.

That  ramp was one exit away from the training facility.

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That  ramp was one exit away from the training facility.

Other way around.  It's the entrance ramp closest to the training facility and the direct route between training facility/Britt Reids home.

Point that it's not yet (publicly) known that Reid got drunk at work stands; I think it's probable myself but there are a number of bars in the area and shots in the car after leaving are also a "thing".

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Other way around.  It's the entrance ramp closest to the training facility and the direct route between training facility/Britt Reids home.

Point that it's not yet (publicly) known that Reid got drunk at work stands; I think it's probable myself but there are a number of bars in the area and shots in the car after leaving are also a "thing".

Oh...they're a "thing" all right.

9 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Not to make light of what happened to Ariel, but the collateral damage from this will extend to Britt Reid's own family and also Andy's. 

I doubt if found guilty of any charges related to alcohol that he will ever be employable by the Chiefs or any other team in the NFL. He 

already has a felony conviction which would make it tough to get any job, let alone a football job. I would find it hard to believe that Britt's 

wife was not aware of his drinking but she obviously can't watch him while he's at the Chiefs' facility or anywhere else outside the home. 

Financially this could ruin him and his family and I suspect Andy would move them out of KC as his kids are approaching school age and would 

face the eventual taunting and harassment by classmates over their father. 

If he goes to prison, I'm sure Andy will pick up their family expenses wherever they end up but a civil suit could run into the millions. 

Lots at stake for all families involved but let's pray that Ariel recovers and has a normal life. 

I think that a jail sentence is probably the best case scenario if found guilt.  If they find that Britt was drinking at the Chiefs facility, which definitely seems like a possibly, you bet your arse there will be a civil suit against the Chiefs.  And if they somehow find out that Andy or the coaches knew he was drinking there could be some major collateral damage.  

Essentially Britt put a lot of people in a terrible situation 

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think that a jail sentence is probably the best case scenario if found guilt.  If they find that Britt was drinking at the Chiefs facility, which definitely seems like a possibly, you bet your arse there will be a civil suit against the Chiefs.  And if they somehow find out that Andy or the coaches knew he was drinking there could be some major collateral damage.  

Essentially Britt put a lot of people in a terrible situation 

Maybe next time you hire the best person for the job and not your former addiction son. I mean get why Reid did it but it’s not exactly shocking this blow up in his face. 

Sucks because he seems like a great dude but who knows. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe next time you hire the best person for the job and not your former addiction son. I mean get why Reid did it but it’s not exactly shocking this blow up in his face. 

Sucks because he seems like a great dude but who knows. 

That’s gotta be the heartbreaking part of being the parent of an addict.  Of course, it’s also a case of nepotism but that’s common in the NFL.

My thinking is that when Andy took over in 2013, Britt was still passionate about football.  He had done his prison sentence and was an intern at Temple.  Andy probably thought that giving him a low-level position would help keep him occupied and keep him close so he could keep tabs.  He atleast knew the type of culture/environment he would build in KC.

Britt was on the staff for 7+ plus years so it was probably working for a lwhile, but ultimately it’s very hard to depend on someone with addiction issues that aren’t completely addressed  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

That’s gotta be the heartbreaking part of being the parent of an addict.  Of course, it’s also a case of nepotism but that’s common in the NFL.

My thinking is that when Andy took over in 2013, Britt was still passionate about football.  He had done his prison sentence and was an intern at Temple.  Andy probably thought that giving him a low-level position would help keep him occupied and keep him close so he could keep tabs.  He atleast knew the type of culture/environment he would build in KC.

Britt was on the staff for 7+ plus years so it was probably working for a lwhile, but ultimately it’s very hard to depend on someone with addiction issues that aren’t completely addressed  

one of the most reasonable posts ive seen on the topic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Update

Yesterday by Tiffany Verhulst, Organizer

Ariel, while she is awake she is not the same happy free spirited little girl she was before this horrific crash. She has a long road to recovery and the things that were once easy for her will no longer be. We are so happy she is awake yet so sad at the toll this took on her body and brain. We are thankful for the continued support and love for her right now. No family or child should ever have to go through this.
Thank you ❤️

Sounds as though there may be some impairment 😥

Hopefully therapy will help a lot and the family will be able to afford the best.

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Update

Sounds as though there may be some impairment 😥

Hopefully therapy will help a lot and the family will be able to afford the best.

According to this from the KCPD, sounds like she's off the ventilator but unresponsive. Not good ... 

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kcpd-5-year-old-breathing-unassisted-still-unresponsive-after-being-injured-in-crash-involving-former-chiefs-assistant-coach-britt-reid/35522983

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, purple haze said:

I don’t understand why people drink and drive.  The potential destruction is a needless risk to take.

I am fanatical about this now. If I plan on more than one glass of wine I Uber or have the wife drive. I’ve only Ubered a few times in the last year and never to go out for fun, unfortunately.  I went to a friend’s for an Ohio State game last season and I didn’t like driving after one 10 oz beer over a couple hours. 

Having said that, I won’t be so sanctimonious as to say I have never driven when I should not have. I’m NOT proud of that, but I won’t deny it. Things used to be SO different. I never had that type of history, but I must say the old “there but for the grace of God......” 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3