Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I hope that it goes well.

Thank you. I'm getting my knee scoped so I wouldn't put it in the category of a major surgery. The worst part of this situation is being hobbled and not being able to be active. My life and world has shrunk to being mostly in the house. It's frustrating. Compared to what others are going through I count my blessings and deal with what I have to deal with.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t know how the business works, but you’d think Reid could just dismiss his son from that position, or get him to resign. Feel free to comment if someone knows a reason Reid can’t just be fired. At the very least I’d hope he was encouraged to resign. Administrative leave always has such a gentle ring to it. Almost like Andy might buy the guy freedom, and once most forget he could be on the sideline again. 

He could probably fire him, but most of us would want an investigation to complete before we're terminated from a position.  So leave seems appropriate at this point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The point I'm making is that there still are a lot of unknowns associated with this case that are under investigation. His troubled addiction and behavior history are known. But from an article that I read today those issues related to 14 years ago and prior. Has he had more recent issues? I don't know. The authorities know what his alcohol level was but the public doesn't. The son admitted to having a couple of drinks or so but was it a factor in the accident? I don't know. Many are making assumptions about the alcohol factor in the accident when it isn't clear that it was a factor. The accident involved hitting a disabled car on a ramp. That in itself is a dangerous situation in itself. 

I'm not excusing the son of his responsibility in this tragedy. He will be held accountable for his actions. What I do find troubling are the comments attributing responsibility to the father or to the organization for the coach's son accident. Where I separate myself from many of the comments here is that I'm more willing to wait for more information before making assumptions about the accident, the son, the parent and the organization. This is still an active investigation.

I hope your surgery goes well.

The point I was making, John, is the "more recent issues" question has come up several times in the thread, so to say "I don't know...I don't know..." without at least acknowledging what's been brought up seems unresponsive of you.  You can question what the information means - others have - but at least acknowledge it's there.

It's been reported that highway entrance ramp is 2 lanes wide at the location where the accident took place.  A look at Google maps indicates that the ramp is two lanes wide until the point where the highway merge lane

The point that it's an active investigation and you want to wait for more information is entirely reasonable, but people are also entitled to look at the info we have and have questions/make inferences.  If  a guy has red, bloodshot eyes and shows signs of impairment on field sobriety tests, smells of alcohol, and admits "2-3 drinks" it's not a giant leap to think alcohol impairment was involved.  2-3 drinks don't turn my eyes red and bloodshot.  If the warrant for blood draw says "a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts" that seems to indicate other DUI instances in MO.  Here it is again.

I'd feel better is if the Chiefs were a bit more transparent about how/who is investigating what, internally.

I would like to feel comfortable that the investigation will be impartial and the son will be held accountable but I've seen instances where wealthy and powerful people influence investigations.  I believe a different person who smelled of alcohol, showed signs of impairment, and struck other vehicles in a crash that critically injured a little girl might have been arrested immediately.

18 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

Did your boss take the day off or no?  

Dungy didn't take the day

The former is detail to which you're not entitled, especially since you appear to be asking it specifically to throw stones if you don't like the answer.  It's also not germaine to my point, which is: everyone grieves and processes grief in their own way.   If you choose to judge because their way isn't what you'd do, that's on you.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He could probably fire him, but most of us would want an investigation to complete before we're terminated from a position.  So leave seems appropriate at this point.

Fair enough, I don’t want to get into judging Reid’s parenting, but I was probably looking at it from the perspective of the guy’s father being his boss. Obviously Britt is a grown a man, but as Andy Reid’s child I’d fully understand why my parent fired me after breaching trust that was given when he hired me. It seems the scenario would be a little different than employment that didn’t  involve family. If I were Andy and Britt I’d want to free myself of this ugly situation by mutual parting ways from that position ASAP. This is also not a judgement, but just a statement of how’d I’d probably have a different style. 

Edited by SirAndrew

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Fair enough, I don’t want to get into judging Reid’s parenting, but I was probably looking at it from the perspective of the guy’s father being his boss. Obviously Britt is a grown a man, but as Andy Reid’s child I’d fully understand why my parent fired me after breaching trust that was given when he hired me. It seems the scenario would be a little different than employment that didn’t  involve family. If I were Andy and Britt I’d want to free myself of this ugly situation by mutual parting ways from that position ASAP. This is also not a judgement, but just a statement of how’d I’d probably have a different style. 

I think the situation is probably complicated by the fact that Britt Reid was apparently himself injured in the crash and underwent surgery.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the situation is probably complicated by the fact that Britt Reid was apparently himself injured in the crash and underwent surgery.

That’s a fair point. 

20 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is anyone else weirded out by continuously referring to a 35 year old man as someone’s child and incessantly referring to another person’s parenting skills of said 35 year old child?

I agree with the judgement portion, I disagree with referring to him as Andy Reid’s child, that’s what he is. 

29 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is anyone else weirded out by continuously referring to a 35 year old man as someone’s child and incessantly referring to another person’s parenting skills of said 35 year old child?

As to the former, doesn't that happen with the adult children of most notable people, until/unless they become notable in their own right?  The children of famous or notable people in the news seem commonly referred to as "so and so's son" or "so and so's son-in-law"

As to the latter, I agree that by age 35, a man should be considered responsible for his own actions and not have them laid to the door of his dad, but  in this case, his Dad has chosen to hire him for a premier coaching position for which his qualifications may be questioned, and he was likely driving away from his job location when the crash occurred.  So there's that.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The former is detail to which you're not entitled, especially since you appear to be asking it specifically to throw stones if you don't like the answer.  It's also not germaine to my point, which is: everyone grieves and processes grief in their own way.   If you choose to judge because their way isn't what you'd do, that's on you.

I wasn't really asking about your boss. It was rhetorical. It wasn't to throw stones but I was making a point. 

Seems when it involves a sport we love suddenly we shouldn't judge but I guess that says a lot about me.  You left out the part in the middle interestingly enough and only focused on my first and last sentence. I can judge and I clearly do. When you are father and a husband it's actually not just about you. Perhaps his other children or wife needed him. Who knows maybe they were like, "you know what, we got this you go and coach that regular season game, I mean we have other kids"

I've had this conversation with some of the dads in the neighborhood I hang out with. It's a bit tongue in cheek but there is a lot of truth to it. I judge people exclusively by the behavior of their children. It's as fair a metric as any. It cuts both ways, there are people I've met that I don't necessarily like that much at first but their kids are awesome and it forces me to rethink it. If you took any of my kids failings and blamed my wife or I for them you would be 100% correct to do it. Our children are the only thing we leave behind that matters. 

To paraphrase a famous football coach "you are what your record says you are" 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, blitzboy54 said:

I wasn't really asking about your boss. It was rhetorical. It wasn't to throw stones but I was making a point. 

I get your point.  I just disagree.  I'm not going to tell a man how to grieve his deepest tragedy or pass judgement from the outside on what family discussions or decision making went into his choice.

Seems when it involves a sport we love suddenly we shouldn't judge but I guess that says a lot about me.  You left out the part in the middle interestingly enough and only focused on my first and last sentence. I can judge and I clearly do. When you are father and a husband it's actually not just about you. Perhaps his other children or wife needed him. Who knows maybe they were like, "you know what, we got this you go and coach that regular season game, I mean we have other kids"

That last is just low, IMO.

I've had this conversation with some of the dads in the neighborhood I hang out with. It's a bit tongue in cheek but there is a lot of truth to it. I judge people exclusively by the behavior of their children. It's as fair a metric as any. It cuts both ways, there are people I've met that I don't necessarily like that much at first but their kids are awesome and it forces me to rethink it. If you took any of my kids failings and blamed my wife or I for them you would be 100% correct to do it. Our children are the only thing we leave behind that matters. 

We will have to emphatically disagree here.  It can work when the kids are young and the parents hold all the carrots and all the sticks.  Once they start spending the day apart from their parents at school or sports or friends houses, there are all kinds of influences and they begin to be able to make their own choices. 

Lots of good people I know came from rotten families. 

I have friends who I know to be good people, put their all into being the best parents they could be, and got their hearts broken. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As to the former, doesn't that happen with the adult children of most notable people, until/unless they become notable in their own right?  The children of famous or notable people in the news seem commonly referred to as "so and so's son" or "so and so's son-in-law"

As to the latter, I agree that by age 35, a man should be considered responsible for his own actions and not have them laid to the door of his dad, but  in this case, his Dad has chosen to hire him for a premier coaching position for which his qualifications may be questioned, and he was likely driving away from his job location when the crash occurred.  So there's that.

Great post. Whether or not people refer to adult children as “ the kid” depends a lot on circumstances and context. The manner in which someone speaks also plays a big role. Growing up in small town America, it wasn’t uncommon to hear 40 and 50 year old guys referred to as “Mr. Smith’s boy”. It’s a point of reference when being used in a specific context. This story involves Andy Reid’s KC Chiefs, so that context applies imo, regardless of how fair it may be. Haven’t we all heard 90 year old parents refer to their 70 year children as “the kids” as well ? 

Regarding your latter points. I’m on board with everyone who says we shouldn’t judge a parent based on the actions of a child. I’d never want to be judged based on the actions of my parents or family. With that said, I wouldn’t hitch the wagon of my reputation to hiring certain members of my family either. That’s not a judgement of Andy Reid, I’m simply making the point that although I hope not to be judged by the actions of my family, some of them wouldn’t be the first people I’d hire if I were starting a business. Those people mean the world to me, but I wouldn’t have the confidence to attach myself to them in my professional life. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Regarding your latter points. I’m on board with everyone who says we shouldn’t judge a parent based on the actions of a child. I’d never want to be judged based on the actions of my parents or family. With that said, I wouldn’t hitch the wagon of my reputation to hiring certain members of my family either. That’s not a judgement of Andy Reid, I’m simply making the point that although I hope not to be judged by the actions of my family, some of them wouldn’t be the first people I’d hire if I were starting a business. Those people mean the world to me, but I wouldn’t have the confidence to attach myself to them in my professional life.

LOL I Hear That!  I love my rellies!  Some I love in part *because* of who they are and how they behave, and some I love *in spite* of it!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

And another twist to the story - 

https://fox4kc.com/news/missouri-department-of-revenue-assisting-in-britt-reid-crash-investigation/

Not sure what impact this would have on a case against Reid. 

I don't think it has any effect on the case against Reid.

It may cloud the picture of auto insurance responsibility for the crash, depending on the arrangement under which Britt Reid was using the vehicle. 

Fortunately that's not an immediate issue for the family thanks to the GoFundMe

Per link in the above, the timeline for completing the investigation and deciding upon charges is 30 to 60 days

https://fox4kc.com/news/documents-reveal-new-details-into-crash-involving-chiefs-coach-britt-reid-that-left-girl-critically-injured/

And per the Kansas City Chiefs....Britt Reid is no longer employed by the team

https://fox4kc.com/sports/chiefs/britt-reids-contract-with-chiefs-expires-club-says-hes-no-longer-employed-by-team/

Apparently nepotism has its limits

On 2/10/2021 at 7:46 AM, SirAndrew said:

I don’t know how the business works, but you’d think Reid could just dismiss his son from that position, or get him to resign. Feel free to comment if someone knows a reason Reid can’t just be fired. At the very least I’d hope he was encouraged to resign. Administrative leave always has such a gentle ring to it. Almost like Andy might buy the guy freedom, and once most forget he could be on the sideline again. 

It was administrative leave because they knew his contract was expiring and they were preparing for Superbowl.

Not that it would make a difference based on final score but if he was mad enough about it and was fired he could go to Tampa Bay coaching staff and give all he knew about players and plans.  Real waste of effort since he likely would get paid anyways since contract was guaranteed and NFL coaching union would put a fuss about it.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Anyone else a little surprised that the Chiefs still haven’t removed him from their coaches roster on Chiefs.com?

Its been several hours since the Chiefs informed the public he’s no longer a part of the team.

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/britt-reid

Not at all surprised.   Bills actually had the wrong score of a game posted before.  Often these websites are farmed out to companies and QA is bad.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it has any effect on the case against Reid.

It may cloud the picture of auto insurance responsibility for the crash, depending on the arrangement under which Britt Reid was using the vehicle. 

Fortunately that's not an immediate issue for the family thanks to the GoFundMe

Per link in the above, the timeline for completing the investigation and deciding upon charges is 30 to 60 days

https://fox4kc.com/news/documents-reveal-new-details-into-crash-involving-chiefs-coach-britt-reid-that-left-girl-critically-injured/

And per the Kansas City Chiefs....Britt Reid is no longer employed by the team

https://fox4kc.com/sports/chiefs/britt-reids-contract-with-chiefs-expires-club-says-hes-no-longer-employed-by-team/

Apparently nepotism has its limits

Not to make light of what happened to Ariel, but the collateral damage from this will extend to Britt Reid's own family and also Andy's. 

I doubt if found guilty of any charges related to alcohol that he will ever be employable by the Chiefs or any other team in the NFL. He 

already has a felony conviction which would make it tough to get any job, let alone a football job. I would find it hard to believe that Britt's 

wife was not aware of his drinking but she obviously can't watch him while he's at the Chiefs' facility or anywhere else outside the home. 

Financially this could ruin him and his family and I suspect Andy would move them out of KC as his kids are approaching school age and would 

face the eventual taunting and harassment by classmates over their father. 

If he goes to prison, I'm sure Andy will pick up their family expenses wherever they end up but a civil suit could run into the millions. 

Lots at stake for all families involved but let's pray that Ariel recovers and has a normal life. 

2 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I doubt if found guilty of any charges related to alcohol that he will ever be employable by the Chiefs or any other team in the NFL.

Aren't there actually quite a few coaches and assistants who have alcohol related charges in their background?  The Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy would be one.

I think I understand what you're saying though. 

Being involved in a crash that may be alcohol related 1) near the stadium, apparently heading home 2) that severely injures or possibly kills a child

is Next-level over racking up a couple DUIs in your 20s and being a Good Boy from your 30s on.