Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@#$@% what a Hella bad take. 

Depression, suicide of a young person, is a terrible terrible thing.  We can't imagine. One of my bosses had a son who suicided at age 17.   Son was a star athlete, had lots of friends, no one knew where his head was.  That man will never get over it, Never.  Never. 

If you come out of the "Hood" (the Parent"Hood") with a healthy and reasonably well-adjusted adult kid you are blessed, Blessed.  Because in hindsight sometimes you learn how easily it could have gone another way, despite all the parents' love and care and attention.  All of the stuff we say to our kids trying to raise them, the time we lost our temper and maybe said a couple things we didn't really mean, maybe three flaps of a butterfly's wings away from pushing our kid down that awful road.   Parenting is a non-stop montage of humbling experience.

Everybody deals with grief in their own way.  When Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman's first wife Irene died, he says he got back to work at the Manhattan Project as fast as possible.  People asked about Irene and he said "She died. How's the Project?"  He didn't want to talk about it.  He was grieving, but he threw himself into his work.  That was how he dealt with his grief. 

I'm not going to judge a guy I don't know what kind of parent he is.  A lot of parents have high-powered careers that take them away from their families. Armed forces.  Physicians.  Executives.  It all depends on what you do with the time you give your kids, and none of us know that.

There are literally millions of examples of broken families in all walks of life.

Did your boss take the day off or no?  

I'm not making light of anything. It's horrific. That little girls brain is swollen and she might not wake up. There definitely is an imbalance to these things and NFL coaches. I don't pay attention to college so I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's similar. Any high end job will take a toll

A contractor I work with, his adult son died in a construction accident. When I saw him a 2 weeks later I stopped to tell him how unbelievably sorry I was and let him know if there was anything I could do I would be happy to. He was understandably broken but had to come to work because he's a construction worker he gets no sick time or vacation. Just can get laid off for as long as he can afford it. He just wanted to be home with his family and morn but he had a work because he has responsibilities. THAT is a tragedy. Broke my#%^*ing heart.

Dungy didn't take the day

Edited by blitzboy54

8 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Sincerely doubt they will release Andy Reid due to an accident caused by his son. No doubt his son will be relieved of his duties. 

Also, the police will wait until the investigation is complete and then charge Reid if warranted. They won't wait until they see if the girl recovers as it could be months. 

Andy was clearly distracted by this and it showed in his awful game plan. Does KC want this to rear its ugly head again? Time will tell. I understand about the legalities and when to charge. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks.  I meant that in general, as an employer (HC) working closely with his employees (Assistant coaches) long hours every day, if Reid's son had relapsed and was using/drinking again, Reid probably saw signs.  IME, when a boss or a coworker is using or drinking, they think they're concealing it but it's an "open secret" where sometimes, for various reasons, those most concerned may be blind to the signs.   They don't want it to be true, so they miss them.

Shakespeare sonnet 138 starts out "When my love swears that she is made of truth, I do believe her, though I know she lies".  It was written about a romantic lover but applicable to all the people we love.  Part of you knows, but you don't want it to be so, so it's difficult to let yourself believe it and you tell that part you're imagining things and need to have more faith. 

Of course, it's just a guess based on past experience with co-workers, boss, and friends who are parents who've been through this hell.

My heart goes out to all the people who have had this experience on this board.  It's a living hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

The first DUI was 13 years ago in PA, lot of people who raise hell in their 20s settle down in their 30s especially once "married with kids".  Britt Reid is 35 yrs old, married with 3 kids.

For me, it was the cryptic phrase in the warrant "a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts" .  Even our LEO members don't seem to know what it means precisely, but the best guess seems to be that he had previous stops for DUI in MO but pled to a lesser charge, 6x.  IE ongoing problem in MO.

Shakespeare! What a classy joint we have!

Most of us have a built in defense mechanism to protect us from what we do not want to be. We have close friends who’s son has put them thru the ringer. For years it was “just pot”, but got him expelled from a private high school. He eventually graduated to anything and everything, did about a year in jail after stealing to pay for his habit, but managed to clean himself up. After a year or two clean he started drinking again and his parents said “well, at least it’s legal”. Then he got back into pot and “well, he’s done a lot worse”. I told them once (and only once)that it concerns me, but they don’t want to hear it. They just want it to be OK, and they know they have no control over it. I get that, I really do. 

The fear and risk NEVER goes away. Our son knew a guy who got in trouble early in life. He cleaned himself up and became VERY successful. After 30+ years clean he decides to walk into a liquor store one day, and within a week he was back on heroin. This is CRAZY stuff, but it really happens. Rational thought just goes out the window, and if you are on the outside looking in it’s almost impossible to comprehend. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Andy was clearly distracted by this and it showed in his awful game plan. Does KC want this to rear its ugly head again? Time will tell. I understand about the legalities and when to charge. 

LOL.  Maybe.  Myself,  I think Todd Bowles just had Reid/Bienemy/Mahomes number and his hosses were revved up and ready to get after it.

Maybe somewhere there could have been a game plan to overcome the downgrade on the Chiefs OL, but I think the perfect storm just met a boat with a crack in the bilge pump and a problem with the starboard engine.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Edit: this is a story that moved me when I read it, about a football player and his journey with addiction - from playing in 2 Superbowls, to sleeping under a bridge, being found by a young photojournalist who did a story on him, to getting sober and finding work and love.  The part that stayed with me from the "Happy Recovery" part of the story: "“It only takes one slip,” he said, “and I’ll end up right back where you found me."  And he did.  https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/article_d32d7ad2-8140-502d-b65a-7c35d2aa8999.html

Having an addiction, it must be hell.  But having someone you care about struggle with addiction, it's also hell.

Great story about Jackie Stewart although not what I expected at the end. 

Fact is everyone on the planet has their demons and some are just better equipped to keep them in the closets than others. 

36 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Great story about Jackie Stewart although not what I expected at the end. 

Fact is everyone on the planet has their demons and some are just better equipped to keep them in the closets than others. 

Yes, it's uncannily close to Augie's son's friend's story.  Like he said: “It only takes one slip,” he said, “and I’ll end up right back where you found me."

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL.  Maybe.  Myself,  I think Todd Bowles just had Reid/Bienemy/Mahomes number and his hosses were revved up and ready to get after it.

Maybe somewhere there could have been a game plan to overcome the downgrade on the Chiefs OL, but I think the perfect storm just met a boat with a crack in the bilge pump and a problem with the starboard engine.

Very good points! This entire thing from a real life take is so sad. There is a 5 year old child in critical condition and last I heard a coma. 

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@#$@% what a Hella bad take. 

Depression, suicide of a young person, is a terrible terrible thing.  We can't imagine. One of my bosses had a son who suicided at age 17.   Son was a star athlete, lots of friends, no one knew where his head was until it was found with a bullet in it.  That man will never get over it, Never. 

If you come out of the "Hood" (the Parent"Hood") with a healthy and reasonably well-adjusted adult kid you are blessed, Blessed.  Because in hindsight sometimes you learn how easily it could have gone another way, despite all the parents' love and care and attention.  All of the stuff we say to our kids trying to raise them, the time we lost our temper and maybe said a couple things we didn't really mean, maybe three flaps of a butterfly's wings away from pushing our kid down that awful road.   Parenting is a non-stop montage of humbling experience.

Everybody deals with grief in their own way.  When Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman's first wife Irene died, he says he got back to work at the Manhattan Project as fast as possible.  People asked about Irene and he said "She died. How's the Project?"  He didn't want to talk about it.  He was grieving, but he threw himself into his work.  That was how he dealt with his grief. 

I'm not going to judge a guy I don't know what kind of parent he is.  A lot of parents have high-powered careers that take them away from their families. Armed forces.  Physicians.  Executives.  It all depends on what you do with the time you give your kids, and none of us know that for these coaches and their families. 

There are literally millions of examples of broken families and children who suffer from addiction in all walks of life.  It's far from unique to NFL coaches and I can't even tell you if it's more common there.

I’m so much more concerned about the well being of that young girl I was going to leave this alone, but........

As I was flipping around channels I came across Anthony Bourdain in Spain and I wanted to see it where he went. It reminded me of Robin Williams, another guy with a well documented history of drug abuse. I’m not “saying” or suggesting anything, but I have to wonder how much drug abuse leads to suicides, on top of the overdoses. I think you are likely to look at life differently if you spend part of it living in hell. 

I don’t know how the business works, but you’d think Reid could just dismiss his son from that position, or get him to resign. Feel free to comment if someone knows a reason Reid can’t just be fired. At the very least I’d hope he was encouraged to resign. Administrative leave always has such a gentle ring to it. Almost like Andy might buy the guy freedom, and once most forget he could be on the sideline again. 

Edited by SirAndrew

I just don't get it ? It's not like these guys are making $30K a yr and can't afford to call a uber or a cab because they just don't have the money then you throw in that this guy lost his brother because of a foreign substance yrs back you would think he would be a bit more careful with his actions .

I hope the kids will be okay but !!! 

The bad thing is this even though this will be a bad spot on the kids record it will always be remembered as "Andy Reid's kid" so that will follow Andy even though it wasn't him .

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m so much more concerned about the well being of that young girl I was going to leave this alone, but........

As I was flipping around channels I came across Anthony Bourdain in Spain and I wanted to see it where he went. It reminded me of Robin Williams, another guy with a well documented history of drug abuse. I’m not “saying” or suggesting anything, but I have to wonder how much drug abuse leads to suicides, on top of the overdoses. I think you are likely to look at life differently if you spend part of it living in hell. 

NO NO NO NO.......

Robin Williams's death had ZERO to do with drugs.

He had Lewy Body Dementia, which was gradually robbing him of his ability to function, and as a physical comic and one of the funniest people on the planet, he could not live like that. I wouldn't want that, that's for sure... and rather than be in that prison of the body, he decided he couldn't take it anymore. It's just when you have a family it's just 1,000,000 times worse and something I don't understand but that's what those kind of degenerative diseases do...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lewy-body-dementia/symptoms-causes/syc-20352025

Complications:

Lewy body dementia is progressive. Signs and symptoms worsen, causing:

Severe dementia

Aggressive behavior

Depression

Increased risk of falling and injury

Worsening of parkinsonian signs and symptoms, such as tremors

Death, on average about eight years after symptoms start

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, John, there's a lot of information on these points up thread including a link to the warrant application last week and links to stories about his previous incidents.  

I treasure the compliment above that this has been a productive and educational thread on a difficult topic for some.

I don't see how it will help it stay that way if you're going to repeatedly reiterate questions to which you could find the answer either upthread or on the internet.

Sorry to belatedly to respond. I have been scrambling to get things done prior to a scheduled surgery. There are a number of things that need to get done in the Covid era that weren't required before. The point I'm making is that there still are a lot of unknowns associated with this case that are under investigation. His troubled addiction and behavior history are known. But from an article that I read today those issues related to 14 years ago and prior. Has he had more recent issues? I don't know. The authorities know what his alcohol level was but the public doesn't. The son admitted to having a couple of drinks or so but was it a factor in the accident? I don't know. Many are making assumptions about the alcohol factor in the accident when it isn't clear that it was a factor. The accident involved hitting a disabled car on a ramp. That in itself is a dangerous situation in itself. 

I'm not excusing the son of his responsibility in this tragedy. He will be held accountable for his actions. What I do find troubling are the comments attributing responsibility to the father or to the organization for the coach's son accident. Where I separate myself from many of the comments here is that I'm more willing to wait for more information before making assumptions about the accident, the son, the parent and the organization. This is still an active investigation.