Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

If Andy's boy doesn't do real time our justice system is laughable. Andy obviously has plenty of culpability in this knucklehead jerk getting employed after pulling a gun in a road rage incident and then getting a DUI a few years ago. NFL players who are rightfully sensitive to racial injustices, need to come out and slam this behavior. A little child is fighting for life , and this privileged drunk has been enabled to threaten innocent lives by an oblivious TV football icon, who has insulated him from scrutiny.  Reid has already lost a son to drug addiction. I think he should be sanctioned by the league for allowing his criminal ,maniac son to work in the league without rehabilitation and monitoring. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Based on the facts presented in the news articles, at a minimum he should be charged with reckless driving and whatever else fits

If it turns out he was over the legal limit, he should be arrested and charged with DUI

Whether he will be?  Rich and powerful people and their family members have a way of skating.

Yeah no doubt he should be.   

It would be an awful thing if he got away with it doing that. 

19 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

If Andy's boy doesn't do real time our justice system is laughable. Andy obviously has plenty of culpability in this knucklehead jerk getting employed after pulling a gun in a road rage incident and then getting a DUI a few years ago. NFL players who are rightfully sensitive to racial injustices, need to come out and slam this behavior. A little child is fighting for life , and this privileged drunk has been enabled to threaten innocent lives by an oblivious TV football icon, who has insulated him from scrutiny.  Reid has already lost a son to drug addiction. I think he should be sanctioned by the league for allowing his criminal ,maniac son to work in the league without rehabilitation and monitoring. 

He has been to rehab multiple times and apparently been clean since his arrests in PA. Clean meaning no substance abuse convictions or DUIs. 

How would Andy Reid or the organization go about monitoring his son ?  Addicts are very good are hiding their addictions.

5 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

He has been to rehab multiple times and apparently been clean since his arrests in PA. Clean meaning no substance abuse convictions or DUIs. 

How would Andy Reid or the organization go about monitoring his son ?  Addicts are very good are hiding their addictions.

When you are convicted of a  drug felony and are released, you are tested for drugs and alcohol by provisions of parole. This violent criminal, who got hired as a coach in the NFL ,,without regard to. his criminal history through nepotism, should have been tested like players are for drugs and steroids constantly.  The behavior clause in most NFL contracts should apply to a coach with a criminal record and alcohol abuse. Maybe this dangerous,oblivious act might have been avoided. I'm sure the parents of these children would agree with better oversight.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

When you are convicted of a  drug felony and are released, you are tested for drugs and alcohol by provisions of parole. This violent criminal, who got hired as a coach in the NFL ,,without regard to. his criminal history through nepotism, should have been tested like players are for drugs and steroids constantly.  The behavior clause in most NFL contracts should apply to a coach with a criminal record and alcohol abuse. Maybe this dangerous,oblivious act might have been avoided. I'm sure the parents of these children would agree with better oversight.

I share your concerns about the oversight, but I believe his drug conviction was a misdemeanor and the gun charge was a felony. Since they happened back in 2007 or so, he might have been on probation for awhile that eventually ended. Drug testing is certainly possible and may even be in Reid's contract, but how do you test someone for alcohol abuse ? 

13 minutes ago, RJK said:

I think it’s safe to say ol Andy ain’t winning any father of the year awards. 

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make em drink. 

Not fair to judge Andy like that. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I share your concerns about the oversight, but I believe his drug conviction was a misdemeanor and the gun charge was a felony. Since they happened back in 2007 or so, he might have been on probation for awhile that eventually ended. Drug testing is certainly possible and may even be in Reid's contract, but how do you test someone for alcohol abuse ? 

It's only indicated when an alcohol problem is coupled with anger issues. Reid knows his players and the trouble signs. You mean he doesn't know his kid especially after losing his other kid to drugs. Zero tolerance for this criminal. No alcohol or no coaching job. Would a player be treated differently with a drug problem. 

1 hour ago, RJK said:

I think it’s safe to say ol Andy ain’t winning any father of the year awards. 

I think it’s safe to say he just lost a football game, but you have ZERO idea of what kind of father he is. 

I could argue the people who fight these battles are in fact the greatest warriors a parent could ever be. 

Did you read the article posted earlier by @Hapless Bills Fan? I don’t want to crush you, but I would hope to educate you. 

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

It was a DUI and that is a felony. Reid has some soul searching to do. If the kid, God forbid dies, we're talking vehicular homicide. 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:55 PM, Mister Defense said:

Well, fair to feel bad for all here, I guess, but why so much for Britt Reid?

What he did was negligent, criminal, with a long history with driving while impaired.  Not deserving of any kind of compassion.

A shame that such a good coach like Reid was such a poor father when it came to raising his sons. One son, Barrett, dead because of substance abuse, and now Britt recklessly living his life without regard for the lives of others or himself. Seems like they were rich privileged kids raised without proper guidance or guardrails.

You'd think a man seemingly capable of being a great leader of men would be able to lead his own kids to a stable, happy adulthood. 

Addiction is tough, and not sure you can blame parents for their adult children’s problems. However, enabling his son by keeping him employed as an assistant coach is an issue. 

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Dont be surprised if KC release Reid after this colossal tragedy that occurred days for the SB. Organizations must weigh risk vs reward. Right now, Reid  is a huge risk/PR nightmare  moving forward due the ongoing saga that continues to plague his family.

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

Surgery surely was the reason. 

They know his BAC. They are waiting to see which turn this poor child takes and then he will be charged accordingly.

Edited by billsfan_34

9 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

It was a DUI and that is a felony. Reid has some soul searching to do. If the kid, God forbid dies, we're talking vehicular homicide. 

DUIs are not always felonies otherwise there would be a boatload of people that would be disqualified from a lot of jobs. 

Simple case search here tells me his DUI was a misdemeanor. 

https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch

7 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Dont be surprised if KC release Reid after this colossal tragedy that occurred days for the SB. Organizations must weigh risk vs reward. Right now, Reid  is a huge risk/PR nightmare  moving forward due the ongoing saga that continues to plague his family.

They know his BAC. They are waiting to see which turn this poor child takes and then he will be charged accordingly.

Sincerely doubt they will release Andy Reid due to an accident caused by his son. No doubt his son will be relieved of his duties. 

Also, the police will wait until the investigation is complete and then charge Reid if warranted. They won't wait until they see if the girl recovers as it could be months. 

On 2/6/2021 at 1:58 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the probabilty is high that Reid knew his son was drinking, or that if he didn't, he was "living by a river in Egypt".

I was looking over this thread once again and am not so sure what you meant by the above.

HBF, did you mean that Reid knew that his kid was drinking all of the time, or on that particular day? I know that an alcoholic can have a relapse after being 100% sober for very long periods of time. 

Btw, this was a very informative, well moderated thread. I'm glad that people who have some experience with addicts were kind enough to share their personal stories and I wish to thank them.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

DUIs are not always felonies otherwise there would be a boatload of people that would be disqualified from a lot of jobs. 

Simple case search here tells me his DUI was a misdemeanor. 

https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch

My guess is that he is a problem drinker, who routinely got behind the wheel intoxicated and Andy knew about it. If he didn't, he should of. How many times did he do it and got away with it? The organization must have known he was a looming problem. You want to excuse it, because it's hard with regard to individual's rights to control alcoholism and poor judgment. I bet if you asked other coaches privately, they would concede he had a problem. 

11 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Which is why he has not been charged yet.  There are rules on double jeopardy based on 5th amendment and likely if they charge him with lesser crime they cannot charge him for another.

25 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

My guess is that he is a problem drinker, who routinely got behind the wheel intoxicated and Andy knew about it. If he didn't, he should of. How many times did he do it and got away with it? The organization must have known he was a looming problem. You want to excuse it, because it's hard with regard to individual's rights to control alcoholism and poor judgment. I bet if you asked other coaches privately, they would concede he had a problem. 

How do you know that the son routinely got behind the wheel when intoxicated? If that was the case how do you know that Andy knew about it? Why do you assume that the coaches knew he was still  struggling with addiction issues? You are making a lot of assumptions without knowing all the facts of the situation.

Reid's son was involved in a reckless and dangerous criminal act that has seriously injured a child. He will be held accountable for his actions. And that is how it should be. Where I disagree with your stance is that you are assuming some of the blame for the son's actions on others. And you are doing it without knowledge of the situation but simply based on your assumptions. Assumptions are not a good basis to make conclusions from.  When you don't fully know what is going on it might be advisable to wait for more of the facts of the case to come out. Then you would be in a better position to make judgment. 

• Like (+1) 2