Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's sad all around, and I agree with those who say you can't say it's Andy Reid's fault. This guy is not a "kid." He's in his mid-30's for crying out loud.

Andy is trying to give him a structured environment and a career option so that he can get himself together.  I can't fault Andy Reid for this. 

That said, Britt has seriously injured a child, likely cost his father a legacy defining win, hurt his father's reputation, cost his players (who look to him as a coach for leadership) a title, and ruined a solid and well-paying career due to his actions. 

I don't agree with or like the rush to judgement on Andy Reid as being a "bad father" or "enabling" his son. Anyone who has dealt with someone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol understands how powerful and destructive both can be. There is no "magic fix" like "if he just was around more" or "if he just disciplined them more."

It doesn't work that way.

Whoa whoa whoa aren't we getting ahead of ourselves a bit here?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoa whoa whoa aren't we getting ahead of ourselves a bit here?

I honestly don't think so. 

We'll see, but I feel badly for Mahomes. The guy is following Brady's methods for prep, focus, and diet (he has even said that he wants to play into his 40's like Brady and is following many of TB12's methods) and this idiot coach creates a massive problem right before the Super Bowl.

It certainly doesn't help the Chiefs. I think it's going to throw them off their game, while TB is quiet, focused, and ready. 

25 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

You're making BADOBILZ point for him/her. There is no way that traffic to the game averages less than two attendees per vehicle. Have you ever attended a game - seen the traffic? Vehicles easily average 2+ per. I will guess (11 year season ticket holder, so observational knowledge) a three per car average with a significant number of buses. So, let's half your estimate and liberally say 20,000 vehicles. My guess is yes, you are really bad at math.

Considering carpooling (even with strangers) to cut down on parking costs, and designated drivers/people who just don't drink, I bet it's well lower than 20k driving with a beer in their system.

And what kind of grown ass adult can't handle one beer?  I'm not even much of a drinker at all and not huge, and I don't feel the slightest hint of a buzz or whatever after we hang out and have a cold one after the game while we wait for traffic to clear a bit.

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I honestly don't think so. 

We'll see, but I feel badly for Mahomes. The guy is following Brady's methods for prep, focus, and diet (he has even said that he wants to play into his 40's like Brady and is following many of TB12's methods) and this idiot coach creates a massive problem right before the Super Bowl.

It certainly doesn't help the Chiefs. I think it's going to throw them off their game, while TB is quiet, focused, and ready. 

It might help the Chiefs.  Sometimes adversity brings the team together and increases their focus to, as I somewhat meanly quipped, "Win One for the Walrus"

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It might help the Chiefs.  Sometimes adversity brings the team together and increases their focus to, as I somewhat meanly quipped, "Win One for the Walrus"

It could... Especially because Andy Reid had nothing to do with what happened, yet he will get criticism from many because it was his "kid." 

27 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Considering carpooling (even with strangers) to cut down on parking costs, and designated drivers/people who just don't drink, I bet it's well lower than 20k driving with a beer in their system.

And what kind of grown ass adult can't handle one beer?  I'm not even much of a drinker at all and not huge, and I don't feel the slightest hint of a buzz or whatever after we hang out and have a cold one after the game while we wait for traffic to clear a bit.

depends on the person and their alcohol tolerance I guess.  Back in my teens and early 20s I was buzzed after one (non-light) beer.  Now it takes me a few IPAs to get the same buzz.

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It could... Especially because Andy Reid had nothing to do with what happened, yet he will get criticism from many because it was his "kid." 

I can't quite go with "nothing to do with what happened". 

He hired his son to coach LB for him.  If one were hiring another employee with a history of DUI and road rage convictions, one might have a good-conduct clause. 

If the information in the warrant application is correct that ""a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts", it sounds as though Britt Reid may have returned to substance-abuse levels of drinking that were attracting traffic violation attention from police.  It's possible that all this was being carefully hidden from Andy Reid, but it's also quite possible that the reason they were "contacts" and not "convictions" was because Reid provided money and/or influence to get charges reduced or dismissed for his son.

Now his son is 35, married with kids, living in his own house.  But the accident occurred on the on-ramp from Arrowhead stadium, meaning in all probability this guy was drinking OTJ at Arrowhead.   In instances where I have had a co-worker or a boss who drank on the job, they thought they were being clever drinking vodka or what have you, but we all knew. 

I think the probabilty is high that Reid knew his son was drinking, or that if he didn't, he was "living by a river in Egypt".

10 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Yes his 35 year old kid should get grounded by dad for this.  :lol:

I agree that the comments this proves Reid was a bad father and should pay more attention to parenting his kids are out of line for a 35 yr old son, but Reid is still his son's employer in a league that values image and prohibits "conduct detrimental to the league"

A coach who acknowledges he has been drinking, smashing into a disabled vehicle and the vehicle assisting it on the side of a freeway "on" ramp and severely injuring a 5 yr old child is a pretty big PR black eye for the league if you ask me.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, major said:

This reminds me of Eugene Robinson, who was arrested for soliciting sex the night before the 1999 Super Bowl. I still believe this distraction was a huge reason the Atlanta falcons lost that super bowl and sadly, I think this incident will be the distraction that causes the chiefs to lose 

Except these scenarios aren't even close.

One is clearly a tragedy, the other......

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now his son is 35, married with kids, living in his own house.  But the accident occurred on the on-ramp from Arrowhead stadium, meaning in all probability this guy was drinking OTJ at Arrowhead.   In instances where I have had a co-worker or a boss who drank on the job, they thought they were being clever drinking vodka or what have you, but we all knew. 

Maybe, but there are a couple of dive bars not too far from Arrowhead as well that Reid could've used the same on-ramp after leaving. Truth will come out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

All true, but did an article say a doctor prescribed the Aderall ? I’m not saying it isn’t possible, I’m just saying he could have gotten it anywhere. 

Good point.  I know in the past that when police raided their house the two sons had a crap ton of prescribed medication along with illegal drugs.  I assumed that the reason he disclosed Aderall was because he had a script.  If he doesn’t, he’s pretty stupid 

12 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Maybe, but there are a couple of dive bars not too far from Arrowhead as well that Reid could've used the same on-ramp after leaving. Truth will come out. 

Fair, but on Thursday at 9 pm prior to the Superbowl, I think the probabilities favor their LB coach was in the facility watching film and knocking back some shots, and that with a history of drunk driving conviction he wouldn't want the possible publicity of being seen drinking in a bar near the stadium.

But I acknowledge that's just my take on the issue and it's possible he finished his tasks then went off to "decompress" at a dive bar.

• Like (+1) 1

I pray for Andy Reid.

His kids have been a mess for years.  When Reid was in Philly both his kids had hard drug problems (one or both on heroin).  Andy may have given Britt a job with the Chiefs to keep an eye on him but the high stress that comes with being an NFL coach can't be good for Britt's demons.

I hope Britt gets the help he needs.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair, but on Thursday at 9 pm prior to the Superbowl, I think the probabilities favor their LB coach was in the facility watching film and knocking back some shots, and that with a history of drunk driving conviction he wouldn't want the possible publicity of being seen drinking in a bar near the stadium.

But I acknowledge that's just my take on the issue and it's possible he finished his tasks then went off to "decompress" at a dive bar.

You're probably right as I hadn't considered the NFL Covid protocols. 

My guess is if Reid is to be charged, the police will hold it until Monday as to not disrupt the game any further. 

Edited by Roy Hobbs

I just checked and the latest I could find was a report from 2 hours ago with no update on the children’s health available. That’s really all I can care about at this point. The rest can come later..... The relief of some good news on the children would be great at this point! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

You're probably right as I hadn't considered the NFL Covid protocols. 

My guess is if Reid is to be charged, the police will hold it until Monday as to not disrupt the game any further. 

I could be wrong, but in the Ed Oliver incident it seems like it took several weeks just for the blood alcohol test to come back.

Now the actual test can be done in minutes, but apparently for some reason when it involves the police and a potential court case according to @LeviF91 as I recall, it's not unusual for the results to take weeks.

So I doubt that Reid will be charged any time soon, but I don't think it will have anything to do with disrupting the game.  It's just that the legal system takes its own sweet (or bitter) time.

There's also the point that depending upon what happens to the injured child, there may be additional charges.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a copy of the application for search warrant

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-chiefs-coach-britt-reid-under-investigation-in-crash-that-critically-injured-child/

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but in the Ed Oliver incident it seems like it took several weeks just for the blood alcohol test to come back.

Now the actual test can be done in minutes, but apparently for some reason when it involves the police and a potential court case according to @LeviF91 as I recall, it's not unusual for the results to take weeks.

So I doubt that Reid will be charged any time soon, but I don't think it will have anything to do with disrupting the game.  It's just that the legal system takes its own sweet (or bitter) time.

There's also the point that depending upon what happens to the injured child, there may be additional charges.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a copy of the application for search warrant

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-chiefs-coach-britt-reid-under-investigation-in-crash-that-critically-injured-child/

According to the application for search warrant, the officer observed 4 clues of impairment administering the HSN giving him probable cause to arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence. The on-ramp from Stadium Drive to I-435 is two-lane which should have given Reid ample room to pass the two stopped vehicles even if they weren't on the shoulder. So one would guess that Reid would've been arrested on the spot had he not been injured in the crash. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I just checked and the latest I could find was a report from 2 hours ago with no update on the children’s health available. That’s really all I can care about at this point. The rest can come later..... The relief of some good news on the children would be great at this point! 

Since the injuries are described as life threatening, depending upon specifics it could be a week or weeks before we know if he's out of danger and months before we know what the permanent impairment will be.