Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

14 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The scary thing is, he’s been arrested and done jail time for drugs and if that wasn’t bad enough he lost his brother to addiction.   Yet that’s still not enough to scare him straight.  It seems like he has some real issues.  Also, the fact that he mixed adderrall with alcohol is probably not coincidence.  And what doctor prescribes an adult with substance abuse issue with a drug that can be used recreationally? 

All true, but did an article say a doctor prescribed the Aderall ? I’m not saying it isn’t possible, I’m just saying he could have gotten it anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The scary thing is, he’s been arrested and done jail time for drugs and if that wasn’t bad enough he lost his brother to addiction.   Yet that’s still not enough to scare him straight.  It seems like he has some real issues.  Also, the fact that he mixed adderrall with alcohol is probably not coincidence.  And what doctor prescribes an adult with substance abuse issue with a drug that can be used recreationally? 

It's pretty common, actually.  One ...I hate to say trend, because it makes it sound like fashion - strategy in current addiction treatment-   is  that some people who become addicted have an underlying chemical imbalance in their brains due to a mental illness or ADHD or the like, and that they "self medicate" with drugs or alcohol.

So the idea is that treating the mental illness with antidepressants or ADHD drugs or whatever, will treat the underlying disease and make it easier for the patient to stay clean.

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

All true, but did an article say a doctor prescribed the Aderall ? I’m not saying it isn’t possible, I’m just saying he could have gotten it anywhere. 

Yeah, I think it said it was prescribed.  Edit: it quotes Britt Reid as saying it was prescribed: "He (Britt Reid) also said said he took Adderall by prescription."

It also said  "The search warrant application also references that a"a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts." (maybe @LeviF91 can tell us what that means - that he was stopped on suspicion of DUI but not charged for some reason?  or charges negotiated down?)

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's pretty common, actually.  One ...I hate to say trend, because it makes it sound like fashion - strategy in current addiction treatment-   is  that some people who become addicted have an underlying chemical imbalance in their brains due to a mental illness or ADHD or the like, and that they "self medicate" with drugs or alcohol.

So the idea is that treating the mental illness with antidepressants or ADHD drugs or whatever, will treat the underlying disease and make it easier for the patient to stay clean.

Yeah, I think it said it was prescribed.  Edit: it quotes Britt Reid as saying it was prescribed: "He (Britt Reid) also said said he took Adderall by prescription."

It also said  "The search warrant application also references that a"a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts." (maybe @LeviF91 can tell us what that means - that he was stopped on suspicion of DUI but not charged for some reason?  or charges negotiated down?)

He pled guilty to DUI in 2008.

To all the people saying substance abuse issues are complicated,  hard to deal with etc. I get it and you are correct.

Though that's one side of it, and I can guarantee propping the abuser up with a 200-300k/yr job after multiple run ins with LEO is not a way to get them to wake up.

They never feel the consequences of their actions, this guy has a family and lives in a very nice house with enough money to do whatever he wants within reason. I'm sure he doesn't see a real problem with his actions since his life is lovely. 

Outside of all that though, the NFL should have had him in the substance abuse program at the very least just like a player. Andy should have either not employed his son anymore so he would realize his actions do have consequence, or had him on a tight leash as far as substance abuse, no way this is his first time in "years" or anything. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

To all the people saying substance abuse issues are complicated,  hard to deal with etc. I get it and you are correct.

Though that's one side of it, and I can guarantee propping the abuser up with a 200-300k/yr job after multiple run ins with LEO is not a way to get them to wake up.

They never feel the consequences of their actions, this guy has a family and lives in a very nice house with enough money to do whatever he wants within reason. I'm sure he doesn't see a real problem with his actions since his life is lovely. 

Outside of all that though, the NFL should have had him in the substance abuse program at the very least just like a player. Andy should have either not employed his son anymore so he would realize his actions do have consequence, or had him on a tight leash as far as substance abuse, no way this is his first time in "years" or anything.

If I were a member of the NFLPA, I would be totally torqued at a double standard being applied to player run-ins with the law or substance abuse vs coaches

Remember last year where at the point Ed Oliver was pulled over on suspicion of DWI - no test results yet, no chargers (and the tests were clean thus charges never filed) - we were all up in arms criticizing Ed and predicting how many games his suspension would be?

Yet this on Andy Reid's son and a child fighting for his life in-hospital:

The search warrant application also references that a"a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts."

He should be suspended immediately pending further investigation.  If he's allowed to coach the Superbowl and paid for it that's a total crock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Don't take it as an attack....curious how it's being "muzzled" ?  it's on twitter, it's on ESPN.com...we are talking about it here....

It's not muzzled IMO. I am curious if the league would let a player with Britts history even have a job, or let them trot out on SB Sunday after this event. 

IMO the league should block him from the facility pending investigation. I know he isn't someone that will cause KC to win or lose, it isn't about that.

14 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Don't take it as an attack....curious how it's being "muzzled" ?  it's on twitter, it's on ESPN.com...we are talking about it here....

I just checked out NFL.com out of curiosity. I don’t know if I’ll say “muzzled”, but it is interesting how the accident is mentioned, but no mention of being under the influence in the article on the league website. 

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I just checked out NFL.com out of curiosity. I don’t know if I’ll say “muzzled”, but it is interesting how the accident is mentioned, but no mention of being under the influence in the article on the league website. 

Wow, the headline is certainly interesting:  "Chiefs OLB coach Britt Reid, son of HC Andy Reid, involved in multi-car crash".  Now I'm sure the Reid family pays top-notch PR people and that technically, fault has not been found in the accident and the headline is technically correct albeit doesn't give a clear picture of the situation.

But it's a fact that the officer's report mentions alcohol, that Britt Reid admitted drinking, and that a warrant to test him for drugs and alcohol was obtained.

I think it would be appropriate to refer to the NFL.com article as "whitewashing"  It does say that he won't coach on Sunday:

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday night that Reid will not coach Sunday.

Compare for yourself:

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-olb-coach-britt-reid-son-of-hc-andy-reid-involved-in-multi-car-crash

https://www.kshb.com/sports/road-to-repeat/chiefs-assistant-coach-hurt-in-i-435-crash-that-injured-2-children-1-severely

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/britt-reid-admits-to-drinking-before-multicar-crash-that-left-a-child-with-life-threatening-injuries/ar-BB1dr3rz

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/05/chiefs-assistant-britt-reid-was-drinking-before-crash-child-has-life-threatening-injuries/
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/05/us/britt-reid-accident-kansas-city/index.html

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Telling an officer you had 2-3 drinks is not a firm answer,  this usually means you had more and when you add his medication he was on that is a deadly combo.  How in the hell do you ram into two cars on an off ramp? 

Prayers to the family and the kids in the hospital

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Come on....the answer is is pretty simple.  Antonio Brown is going to play in this game.  They keep giving Josh Gordon chances.  Many would say Tyreek Hill is playing (see my thoughts on that earlier in this thread)

Weren't Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon subjected to significant discipline including the Commissioner's Exempt List and suspensions?

45 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

League is looking very bad muzzling this story. 

Just curious, I do see what I regard as slanted coverage on the NFL.com site, but how is the league muzzling it in your view?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Weren't Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon subjected to significant discipline including the Commissioner's Exempt List and suspensions?

Just curious, I do see what I regard as slanted coverage on the NFL.com site, but how is the league muzzling it in your view?

They were.  I was just answering the question of would Britt play if he was a player.  I guess I could have elaborated a little futher....I should have said, if not in the midst of serving a suspension, then he would.  I would guess, he would also be subject to league discipline on this if he were a player....and I do understand where the questioner was going.....seems there is a double standard for when a coach, GM, owner does this stuff.

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

They were.  I was just answering the question of would Britt play if he was a player.  I guess I could have elaborated a little futher....I should have said, if not in the midst of serving a suspension, then he would.  I would guess, he would also be subject to league discipline on this if he were a player....and I do understand where the questioner was going.....seems there is a double standard for when a coach, GM, owner does this stuff.

I think this is the sort of thing that would put a player on the "Commissioner's Exempt List" to not play pending investigation, so I don't think a player who did similar would play.

Yeah, the perception of "double standard" is my thing.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow, the headline is certainly interesting:  "Chiefs OLB coach Britt Reid, son of HC Andy Reid, involved in multi-car crash".  Now I'm sure the Reid family pays top-notch PR people and that technically, fault has not been found in the accident and the headline is technically correct albeit doesn't give a clear picture of the situation.

But it's a fact that the officer's report mentions alcohol, that Britt Reid admitted drinking, and that a warrant to test him for drugs and alcohol was obtained.

I think it would be appropriate to refer to the NFL.com article as "whitewashing"  It does say that he won't coach on Sunday:

Compare for yourself:

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-olb-coach-britt-reid-son-of-hc-andy-reid-involved-in-multi-car-crash

https://www.kshb.com/sports/road-to-repeat/chiefs-assistant-coach-hurt-in-i-435-crash-that-injured-2-children-1-severely

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/britt-reid-admits-to-drinking-before-multicar-crash-that-left-a-child-with-life-threatening-injuries/ar-BB1dr3rz

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/05/chiefs-assistant-britt-reid-was-drinking-before-crash-child-has-life-threatening-injuries/
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/05/us/britt-reid-accident-kansas-city/index.html

I agree, whitewashing is the perfect definition. I can also see how someone might use the word “muzzled”,  it could be more of an argument over semantics than the actual sentiment. Regardless, my biggest takeaway harkens back to a point you made in a previous post. There appears to be a disparity between the treatment of coaches and players. Would this whitewashed article be written about a player ? The league so often says the right thing, but something like this could easily be viewed as an insult to players.