Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

1 hour ago, Whkfc said:

personal story on the topic. When me and my ex wife were going to the store one night we were rear ended by a drunk driver with no insurance. My then wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. The accident caused am abruption which was the separation of the placenta from the uterus. Causing her to go into labor and my son being born premature we was under 3 lbs and was i the hospital for 2 1/2 months. We got lucky my son is now 22 years old but seeing his heart stop and having to be shaken by nurses to restarted and the lungs nit being fully formed and him stopping breathing randomly was really scary. I get sometimes good people make mistakes but the last thing you want is to have to live with killing someones child cause you thought you could handle a few drinks and drive.  Sorry not really football or Bills related but i have very strong feelings in drinking and driving

I'm so glad the story had a good outcome for you

So scary

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How does the NFL allow this. Reid's son had an extensive background. Sounds like Andy needed to spend a little less time coaching and more time being a father.

You said it all here. These kids grew up rich and uncontrollable. Thats on Andy. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

You said it all here. These kids grew up rich and uncontrollable. Thats on Andy. 

I have no tolerance for any drunk driver. Regardless of their status in society.  I lost a great friend last year to a drunk teenager. It all starts at the parenting. And clearly Andy got sacked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

Well, fair to feel bad for all here, I guess, but why so much for Britt Reid?

What he did was negligent, criminal, with a long history with driving while impaired.  Not deserving of any kind of compassion.

A shame that such a good coach like Reid was such a poor father when it came to raising his sons. One son, Barrett, dead because of substance abuse, and now Britt recklessly living his life without regard for the lives of others or himself. Seems like they were rich privileged kids raised without proper guidance or guardrails.

You'd think a man seemingly capable of being a great leader of men would be able to lead his own kids to a stable, happy adulthood.

If psychology knew what makes one person and not another struggle with substance abuse, maybe it would be easier to treat or to avoid.  But we don't.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge that Reid was a poor father.   Sometimes kids start down the path of substance abuse for things the family believes they are doing for the best, like giving their kids prescribed pain relief after wisdom tooth extraction, or treatment of a sports injury.  Or the kids fall in with peers who are using, and those kids may put on a "good face" to parents and teachers so they don't realize what a bad or dangerous crowd they are.

Plenty of people have crap parents or absent parents or workaholic parents and turn out OK.  Other people have great parents and go bad.  Reid has 5 children.  We don't hear about 3 of them, presumably because they're living their lives and staying out of trouble. 

Ultimately, no parent can lead their kid anywhere; we can try to light their way down a good path and away from a destructive path but it's ultimately on the kids to find their way.

Britt Reid has a wife and kids of his own now, BTW. 

And yes, what he did was criminal and negligent and I hope he faces the full weight of the law.

And also, if the NFL is sanctioning players for this behavior which they are in some cases, I think there should be sanctions on the coaches too.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yeah I’m good w disliking a team that employs Kareem Hunt and Jarvis Landry

That's fine. Just helping to get your hate straight.

Hope none of these guys plays for Buffalo. Would hate to lose you.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Hey I'd bet he was leaving the Chief's facility too. How bout that

Sad either way. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

“Ignorance” has such a negative connotation that I hate to use the word here. It just means a lack of knowledge or awareness. I’m seeing a lot of that here. 

Of course the victims get the bulk of my sympathy. It’s a HORRIBLE tragedy. I also feel for the Reid family. They have already suffered so much. If you know anything about addiction, it muddies these waters. To call Andy Reid “such a poor father” actually makes me feel sorry for you. How many times have you met Andy Reid? How well do you know him and his family? Who are you to judge? Sometimes things go off the rails no matter how hard you try to fix it. Kids from ALL socio-economic backgrounds run into trouble. That’s a fact. 

Sometimes in life $%#& happens. I won’t judge you, you just don’t know.  I just ask that you judge less yourself. That of course, it totally up to you in the end. We just don’t know what we don’t know. 

We lost a son to addiction, as others here have. You have NO IDEA what we went thru and how hard we tried.  Don’t be too proud if the dice rolled right for you. Our other son has an outstanding future ahead. Same genes, same values, just a different outcome. Life happens.......

Just pointing to the pattern here in Reid's family.

And yes, the fact that his current team has also had a clear history of players behaving very, very badly, showing extremely poor character, goes into my analysis of Reid as a leader of men.

In no way am I saying that parents who have a child with substance abuse problems are all negligent or responsible, or even that most are.

In my own experiences, the privileged I have known in my family and community have been more susceptible, with more handed to them early and fewer rules and consequences for their actions during their upbringing.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How does the NFL allow this. Reid's son had an extensive background. Sounds like Andy needed to spend a little less time coaching and more time being a father.

Britt Reid graduated from Temple in 2012, so he must be close to age 30.  [Edit: per news article, he's 35] At some point,  it needs to be on the kids what they make of themselves.

But yes, I think if the NFL is going to discipline players for "conduct detrimental to the league", that policy needs to apply to others involved with the franchise.

And it sounds past due in this case:

According to a search warrant filed just before midnight Thursday, a KCPD officer said they could smell "a moderate odor of alcoholic beverages" and that Britt Reid's eyes were bloodshot and red.

Britt Reid told the officer he'd had two to three drinks, according to the search warrant application. He also said said he took Adderall by prescription.

The officer wrote in the warrant that he observed signs of impairment, after which Reid complained of stomach pain and was transported to an area hospital for treatment.

Once at the hospital, the officer requested a blood draw from Britt Reid and a Jackson County judge approved the request. The search warrant application also references that a"a computer check revealed ... multiple prior DUI contacts."

• Agree 1

I have no sympathy for Britt Reid. I hope the justice system gives him alot of time to think about his actions and reform his life. He has access to so many resources to help him that others don’t. He shouldn’t get any leniency due to his name or status. Football should be irrelevant to him now. I hope the victims have no permanent debilitating injuries as a result if this idiot. 

I guess I better understand why the Chiefs take on players with sketchy backgrounds.

• Agree 1

Damn. This is the kind of story that I just can't stand reading

Multiple families are going to be wrecked by this in the end

I pray that the child will be okay

2 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

I have no sympathy for Britt Reid. I hope the justice system gives him alot of time to think about his actions and reform his life. He has access to so many resources to help him that others don’t. He shouldn’t get any leniency due to his name or status. Football should be irrelevant to him now. I hope the victims have no permanent debilitating injuries as a result if this idiot. 

I guess I better understand why the Chiefs take on players with sketchy backgrounds.

The problem that you don't seem to understand is that money or status can't help addiction or disease or problem

Addicts or people with problems don't want help no matter if they're millionaires or homeless 

you can have all the money in the world but if you're stubborn you'll never get help

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Prayers for the five year old and family.  Without commenting specifically on Reid, I’ll just share my opinion that driving after having even one adult beverage is astoundingly selfish.

Without commenting specifically, some might opine its    “:selfish”  to post / make judgements unless that opinion comes from a perfect person; one who has never made any mistake , made an error, etc. For example, it could be opined that driving while sleepy is selfish, or driving after taking medicine, or driving immediately after a vaccine or injection , or driving while angry or upset, or going threw  a yellow light, not fulling stopping at a stop sign , texting while driving , being distracted in conversation or talking On a phone while driving, interacting with children or a pet , all of theses might be selfish. They probably are!  

Hmm, maybe it’s more compassionate or empathetic to try to understand the human condition and that we have probably all been imperfect. I know you weren’t commenting on Reid because that’s what you said and why would anyone feel the need to comment on such low hanging fruit? Yes ,,,,many things impair driving , many much more so than “ one” drink.  That’s just based on pharmacokinetics. I’m glad you have never done anything selfish and can comment from elevated ground.  It IS tragic if something happens related to alcohol.   In fact ANY ACCIDENT is tragic! It’s also tragic when a person ( not commenting on anyone specifically) has no self awareness that they, too, are human and most likely, imperfect. 😇🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Whkfc said:

personal story on the topic. When me and my ex wife were going to the store one night we were rear ended by a drunk driver with no insurance. My then wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. The accident caused am abruption which was the separation of the placenta from the uterus. Causing her to go into labor and my son being born premature we was under 3 lbs and was i the hospital for 2 1/2 months. We got lucky my son is now 22 years old but seeing his heart stop and having to be shaken by nurses to restarted and the lungs nit being fully formed and him stopping breathing randomly was really scary. I get sometimes good people make mistakes but the last thing you want is to have to live with killing someones child cause you thought you could handle a few drinks and drive.  Sorry not really football or Bills related but i have very strong feelings in drinking and driving 

Thanks for sharing brother, glad everyone turned out ok.  The kind of moment that will make you really question life and the human race.

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Well, fair to feel bad for all here, I guess, but why so much for Britt Reid?

What he did was negligent, criminal, with a long history with driving while impaired.  Not deserving of any kind of compassion.

A shame that such a good coach like Reid was such a poor father when it came to raising his sons. One son, Barrett, dead because of substance abuse, and now Britt recklessly living his life without regard for the lives of others or himself. Seems like they were rich privileged kids raised without proper guidance or guardrails.

You'd think a man seemingly capable of being a great leader of men would be able to lead his own kids to a stable, happy adulthood. 

This is a bad take, unless youre in that household YOU HAVE NO IDEA what kind of father he is.  Sometimes kids get into stuff they shouldnt and stay in it coming into adulthood.  Happens alllllllll theeeeeee time.  Youre living in fantast world if you choose to ignore it

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

“Ignorance” has such a negative connotation that I hate to use the word here. It just means a lack of knowledge or awareness. I’m seeing a lot of that here. 

Of course the victims get the bulk of my sympathy. It’s a HORRIBLE tragedy. I also feel for the Reid family. They have already suffered so much. If you know anything about addiction, it muddies these waters. To call Andy Reid “such a poor father” actually makes me feel sorry for you. How many times have you met Andy Reid? How well do you know him and his family? Who are you to judge? Sometimes things go off the rails no matter how hard you try to fix it. Kids from ALL socio-economic backgrounds run into trouble. That’s a fact. 

Sometimes in life $%#& happens. I won’t judge you, you just don’t know.  I just ask that you judge less yourself. That, of course, is totally up to you in the end. We just don’t know what we don’t know. 

We lost a son to addiction, as others here have. You have NO IDEA what we went thru and how hard we tried.  Don’t be too proud if the dice rolled right for you. Our other son has an outstanding future ahead. Same genes, same values, just a different outcome. Life happens.......

As we heard from a great kid/patient at family weekend in rehab, parents take way too much credit and get way too much blame for how their kids turn out. Parents would come congratulate me after our kids sporting events. I’d say “I did nothing, but he played a great game! Just don’t tell him because he doesn’t need a big head!”   :)

Thanks for sharing Augie! I cant imagine having gone through that, I remember you PMing me when i was going through a rough patch, and youre a great dude for sharing your story!  Addiction hits close to home for me as well

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1