Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oof. Saw this a few minutes ago and saw "OLB coach" and thought "hm, wonder if this is a distraction for the team. hard situation." had no idea it was Reid's son...

Hope the Children are okay. 

Drunk drivers aren't punished enough in this country. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ugh.  "Chiefs assistant admits in warrant to drinking before I-435 crash that hurt 2 children, 1 severely".  Not what one wants to see happen, to have one of your assistant coaches severely injure a child while breaking the law.

It must feel a bit deja vu for Andy:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/garrett-reid-drug-history-eagles-coach-andy-reid/2105496/

"In 2007, Garrett admitted he was high on heroin when he crashed into another car, injuring the driver. Coincidentally, that same morning, his brother Britt pointed a gun at another driver during a road rage incident."  (Garret Reid lost his battle with heroin addiction 8 years ago: "Reid's son Garrett "died from an accidental heroin overdose" on Aug. 5, 2012."

• Sad 3
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh.  "Chiefs assistant admits in warrant to drinking before I-435 crash that hurt 2 children, 1 severely".  Not what one wants to see happen, to have one of your assistant coaches severely injure a child while breaking the law.

It must feel a bit deja vu for Andy:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/garrett-reid-drug-history-eagles-coach-andy-reid/2105496/

"In 2007, Garrett admitted he was high on heroin when he crashed into another car, injuring the driver. Coincidentally, that same morning, his brother Britt pointed a gun at another driver during a road rage incident."  (Garret Reid lost his battle with heroin addiction 8 years ago: "Reid's son Garrett "died from an accidental heroin overdose" on Aug. 5, 2012."

Yikes. Rough family situation. 

These are the type of things that make it so hard to root for the NFL. If Buffalo didn’t have a team, I couldn’t do it. It seems like women and children are constant collateral damage to the lifestyle of NFL players and coaches. Maybe the NFL should be like a normal employer, and not allow hires with extensive criminal backgrounds on a coaching staff. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

These are the type of things that make it so hard to root for the NFL. If Buffalo didn’t have a team, I couldn’t do it. It seems like women and children are constant collateral damage to the lifestyle of NFL players and coaches. 

Ok, but this situation doesn't really have anything to do with the NFL. This kind of thing happens all the time to people outside the NFL. People driving impaired is a part of life. They are selfish and stupid. The fact that this particular selfish and stupid person happens to work in the NFL is not relevant to me. If he worked for Burger King we wouldn't even know about this incident.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1

personal story on the topic. When me and my ex wife were going to the store one night we were rear ended by a drunk driver with no insurance. My then wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. The accident caused am abruption which was the separation of the placenta from the uterus. Causing her to go into labor and my son being born premature we was under 3 lbs and was i the hospital for 2 1/2 months. We got lucky my son is now 22 years old but seeing his heart stop and having to be shaken by nurses to restarted and the lungs nit being fully formed and him stopping breathing randomly was really scary. I get sometimes good people make mistakes but the last thing you want is to have to live with killing someones child cause you thought you could handle a few drinks and drive.  Sorry not really football or Bills related but i have very strong feelings in drinking and driving 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Sad 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, MJS said:

Ok, but this situation doesn't really have anything to do with the NFL. This kind of thing happens all the time to people outside the NFL. People driving impaired is a part of life. They are selfish and stupid. The fact that this particular selfish and stupid person happens to work in the NFL is not relevant to me. If he worked for Burger King we wouldn't even know about this incident.

I agree, but it looks bad for the league imo. The guy has two DUI’s already, a road rage charge, and a drug charge for possessing a bunch of painkillers. The history is there, but he was allowed to be hired for nepotism sake. This dude already injured a motorcyclist years ago. An assistant NFL coach is like an administrative position in the real world. I don’t think too many companies would want to take a chance on that guy.

I agree, this could happen with anyone regardless of workplace, but the NFL continues to allow drug addicts, and domestic violence offenders to keep being part of the league. You can’t stop everything from happening, but when you employ so many people with historic issues, more problems will occur. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Success said:

Sad story. I'm sad for Reid, I'm sad for the families affected, I'm sad for everyone.

Just terrible news.  Really puts the game way down the list.

You are very correct, it’s a terrible time for their family, 🙏 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, but it looks bad for the league imo. The guy has two DUI’s already, a road rage charge, and a drug charge for possessing a bunch of painkillers. The history is there, but he was allowed to be hired for nepotism sake. This dude already injured a motorcyclist years ago. An assistant NFL coach is like an administrative position in the real world. I don’t think too many companies would want to take a chance on that guy.

I agree, this could happen with anyone regardless of workplace, but the NFL continues to allow drug addicts, and domestic violence offenders to keep being part of the league. You can’t stop everything from happening, but when you employ so many people with historic issues, more problems will occur. 

Blame the Chiefs not the NFL on this one. Just another reason to hate the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Blame the Chiefs not the NFL on this one. Just another reason to hate the Chiefs.

I agree, but I also think the NFL needs to raise their standards. I’m not sure how the specifics of that would work, but guys like this, and the Antonio Brown’s (yes, I realize he’s a far different scenario) of the world don’t need a thousand chances.

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

You do realize that the rate of arrest is actually lower in the NFL than the general population, right (for players, at least, and most likely coaches too)?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-arrests-study-idUSKCN0QU2EL20150825

https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/us/nfl-players-arrests-study/index.html

Not saying that the NFL is full of angels, but we only hear about these things because of intense scrutiny. It overshadows all the players and coaches who don't have these issues.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

personal story on the topic. When me and my ex wife were going to the store one night we were rear ended by a drunk driver with no insurance. My then wife was 6 1/2 months pregnant. The accident caused am abruption which was the separation of the placenta from the uterus. Causing her to go into labor and my son being born premature we was under 3 lbs and was i the hospital for 2 1/2 months. We got lucky my son is now 22 years old but seeing his heart stop and having to be shaken by nurses to restarted and the lungs nit being fully formed and him stopping breathing randomly was really scary. I get sometimes good people make mistakes but the last thing you want is to have to live with killing someones child cause you thought you could handle a few drinks and drive.  Sorry not really football or Bills related but i have very strong feelings in drinking and driving 

Old lady decided stop signs only applied if you actually saw them, wife was 8months at the time. Thank God she and baby was okay, but I didn't know it was possible to feel fear that way. 

Glad your son and wife were well after that. That kind of thing will make a man out of you. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

You do realize that the rate of arrest is actually lower in the NFL than the general population, right (for players, at least, and most likely coaches too)?

Not saying that the NFL is full of angels, but we only hear about these things because of intense scrutiny. It overshadows all the players and coaches who don't have these issues.

The scrutiny definitely plays a huge role. We don’t hear where the average Joe works when he gets arrested, but that isn’t the point. I consider the NFL a privilege. It’s the highest level of success a football player or coach can reach in his profession. I’d consider that a good job. How many good jobs can someone with DUI’s, drug offenses, and road rage charges get ? I know it’s possible to find work, but many employers aren’t going to hire that guy. I don’t understand why the NFL is different. I know if I had Reid’s record, I wouldn’t have a job right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I understand what your saying and you aren't wrong. Though when one individual has all these charges I thinks it's time to say "thanks but no thanks". Josh Gordon was banned for less.

Not saying let Gordon back in, but I definitely wouldn't want this bad decision maker working for my franchise. 

Maybe I'm the crazy one.

• Thank you (+1) 1