Cover 1 Buffalo podcast (Salary Cap Info)

Dkollidas

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Curtis Samuel in 2020:

- 70 snaps in the backfield (led WR)
- 41 rushes for 200 yards (both led WR)

Even while doing all of that underneath, he led WRs with a 76.9% catch rate on deep passes (20+ yds downfield)

He would really add a different dimension to the offense even than Brown. He’s like a suped up McKenzie. 

Him being a Panther also leads me to believe he’ll be on the Bills radar.

I actually think Curtis Samuel will find healthy money in the FA market.

By healthy, I'm talking $11-$12.5M per yr.  If he'd sign a cheaper 1 yr. Prove it deal I do think the Bills would be interested, but given our cap situation I just don't think it'll be possible.

I'll always remember the glowing reports of Curtis Samuel when the Bills practiced vs. the Panthers in training camp a few years back.  Some in the Bills media were raving about how good he looked.  Given his career with not so great QBing with a beat up Cam and then 1 yr. w/ Bridgewater, I've always thought his best is ahead.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:28 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've asked elsewhere, I'll put it here:

Can someone please walk me through the whole "cut morse, move mongo to C" train of logic?

I'll put out what I understand:

1) Cost savings: I don't think there are any

-Morse has a $10.3M cap number, but only $4.8M savings if cut due to accelerated amortized bonus.

-Spotrac estimates Feliciano's value as $8.4M/yr, 4 years (that's pegging him as a starting guard/C - it would slot him into #17 for a starting C, #10 for a starting RG, so it isn't unreasonable on the face of it.

-Therefore if you cut Morse and resign Feliciano, you have to come up with an extra $3.6M, depending upon how the contract is structured.

-Even if Feliciano signs for a lot less (or a lower up-front cap hit), it's probably a "wash" at best

2) Pass blocking.  Most people who know a little bit seem to evaluate Morse >> Feliciano as a pass blocking C.  Since our pass game will likely remain the priority, why would we want a downgrade at pass blocking?

3) Run blocking.  Morse is an athletic center who is a good blocker in space.  F2F with a nose tackle, he's not gonna shove him back.  Feliciano is much more capable as a power run blocker, no question.  But is that the blocking game we want to run?  🤷‍♂️  Last year lotsa gap runs.  This year mostly zone. 

4) as a Guard, Feliciano blocked well at times but other times, Woof!  See Cover1 Glaring Run Game Issues video for examples.  In particular, Feliciano seems to struggle when the guy he's preparing to block stunts (either run or pass).  [By the way, same video shows some stinker run blocking by Williams]

josh seems to be palls w him and to provide continuity.

mongo played at c, and was decent.  morse can have whatever report card some website produces, but he gets smashed around by more physical lines, and that's our entire problem right now.  as said above, i'd only want mongo to stay at a value price.

also, while losing morse creates a cap hit it clears out his salary and future costs, so you have a cheaper and imo no worse line the following year.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, Fixxxer said:

I call those, Playoff Drought reflexes, when our favorite thing about being Bills fans was to cut everyone because we didn't win many games. We always rooted for the obscured sixth round pick to save the franchise, our next draft pick will take us places, we said, over and over again. 

Let's cut Mitch Morse so we can save some money and put a 5th round rookie in front of our franchise QB. He will be all pro by week 2. 

True, but TBH starting C can be found late in the draft. I for one wouldn't mind seeing Morse gone if a suitable replacement can be had. Morse is a mid tier Center and should be replaceable for the cheap.

• Dislike 1

On 2/6/2021 at 10:31 PM, Estro said:

I actually think Curtis Samuel will find healthy money in the FA market.

By healthy, I'm talking $11-$12.5M per yr.  If he'd sign a cheaper 1 yr. Prove it deal I do think the Bills would be interested, but given our cap situation I just don't think it'll be possible.

I'll always remember the glowing reports of Curtis Samuel when the Bills practiced vs. the Panthers in training camp a few years back.  Some in the Bills media were raving about how good he looked.  Given his career with not so great QBing with a beat up Cam and then 1 yr. w/ Bridgewater, I've always thought his best is ahead.

I agree he should do well in FA. But I could see the bills making a run at him at the very least. Getting creative with the contract beyond this year when the cap will go up