[Cuts or trades etc.] With recent talk of "trimming the fat"....

I've been wondering is there a way to get back our 4th rounder in doing so. One probably unlikely but still possible way would be a John Brown trade. There has been some cut chatter involving Brown but personally I would either shoot for a trade or even extend him one year in a way that can save some money this year. Just thinking out loud and wondering of any other moves we could make to snag that 4th rounder back. I think we could be a bit move flexible draftwise to target our weak spots that way. Beane is gonna need another executive of the year type offseason for this team to take the next step IMO.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane has pulled off some great trades but I’m not sure we have anyone trade worthy. Why would anyone want to give up something for smoke when teams know we’ll cut him or redo his deal? 
The wide receiver free agent list is AMAZING. Even if some of those guys are franchised or given deals there’s still a ton of quality receivers and almost all of them are cheaper than brown. 

A mid round pick for John Brown would be a nice reality for us. He’s old, he’s injury prone and I think that Gabriel Davis is ready to start opposite of Stefon Diggs. There’s no doubt in my mind that Davis will be a much better player than Brown next year. I like Boogie Basham or Zaven Collins with that first pick, but if both are gone I could see us drafting a WR or TE there. Would be nice to add a player with some speed and returning capabilities at the same time. Ideally both John Brown and Andre Roberts will be upgraded this offseason. Diggs, Davis, Beasley and McKenzie should be our base, maybe Hodgins comes around, who knows, but personally I’d like to see at least two new players there, if not a high pick, at least in the 2nd or 3rd.

Trade him or cut him

i could see us taking another WR in rd 1 this year. There are some nice weapons to be had.  I love Gabe as a #3-4.  I don’t love him as a #2 in a year where we are super bowl or bust.  The offense needs to improve this year, not get worse 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

While I’d love a first round WR, I can’t see it happening.... Beane likes to lean on his draft picks and I feel they are very high on Gabe Davis. I see them going defense early per usual..... honestly don’t expect them to do much at the WR position this offseason even though I think it’s important to keep adding talent there.... especially with Brown and Beasleys age(and coming off a broken Fib).

I’d like to keep Brown but if they let him go at least replace him with someone better, IMO. Don’t count on Davis to fill the void. 

I hear ya.  I’m not saying I expect them to take a WR in rd 1, but if the BPA is a WR, I could see it happening.  

I see the key to winning a super bowl being out scoring KC and I don’t see how we do that with gave Davis as our #2 wr.....as much as I like him.  Like you said, if we let brown go, we should replace him with someone better or we’ll come up short. 

i would like to keep brown, but at a reduced rate.  8 mill is too much considering our current situation and his health this past season.  

Hopefully we can extend Cole and get a better cap number going forward considering his age.  Diggs, Cole and Gabe make a great 1, slot and 4th for the next few years.....who is going to be the 2?  If a wr is bpa when we pick, I don’t see why we wouldn’t take a swing if brown isn’t in our plans 

im torn on this because brown is a nice weapon when he's healthy.

we have too many OK/Decent players soaking up cap and playtime from our young guys, so that would lead me to wanting to cut him.

if they don't think he helps them win a super bowl in 2021-2022 season, he's gotta go.

also, how much of a cut/restructure would he accept?

@colin hit the nail on the head..  too many ok/decent players eating up cap space.  

Brown is one of those, imo.  

In my ideal world, we let him go, move Gabriel Davis into the #2 WR role and then sprint to the podium with one of Kadarius Toney or Najee Harris if they are available at 30.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Trade him or cut him

i could see us taking another WR in rd 1 this year. There are some nice weapons to be had.  I love Gabe as a #3-4.  I don’t love him as a #2 in a year where we are super bowl or bust.  The offense needs to improve this year, not get worse 

Meh I don't love this receiver class. Don't think it is as good as last year's by a long stretch. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh I don't love this receiver class. Don't think it is as good as last year's by a long stretch. 

I hear ya.....the guy I was thinking about was Kadarious Toney, with Rondale Moore as possibility (haven’t looked at him in depth yet).  Maybe Rashod Bateman.  I see us trading out of 30 if there’s a partner and those guys could be the BPA.  

I’d prefer a pass rusher but haven’t looked into any of them in detail at this point.  If we can’t get a pass rusher, adding an impact offensive player on a cheap 4-5 year contract is ideal imo.  There’s a bunch of LBs that could be great fits around that spot in the draft, I just dunno if they’d want to use our first pick on an OLB (don’t see them moving Edmunds outside).  

we can use help on both sides of the ball, but improving our O would be my #1 priority.  The chiefs shut our offense down two times and they are going to score on everyone.  If we want to win, our offense needs to improve.  Losing John brown won’t make us better.  Maybe we can replace him with a cheaper FA option.  Either way, our offense needs to be better imo

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

@colin hit the nail on the head..  too many ok/decent players eating up cap space.  

Brown is one of those, imo.  

In my ideal world, we let him go, move Gabriel Davis into the #2 WR role and then sprint to the podium with one of Kadarius Toney or Najee Harris if they are available at 30.  

No chance it happens, but imagine if we added Toney and Kenneth Gainwell?  That’s some firepower that we could really use.  We’d have to find a way to fix the OL in FA and maybe a 3rd rd pick, but the O playmakers would make us a true threat to win it all. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.....the guy I was thinking about was Kadarious Toney, with Rondale Moore as possibility (haven’t looked at him in depth yet).  Maybe Rashod Bateman.  I see us trading out of 30 if there’s a partner and those guys could be the BPA.  

I’d prefer a pass rusher but haven’t looked into any of them in detail at this point.  If we can’t get a pass rusher, adding an impact offensive player on a cheap 4-5 year contract is ideal imo.  There’s a bunch of LBs that could be great fits around that spot in the draft, I just dunno if they’d want to use our first pick on an OLB (don’t see them moving Edmunds outside).  

we can use help on both sides of the ball, but improving our O would be my #1 priority.  The chiefs shut our offense down two times and they are going to score on everyone.  If we want to win, our offense needs to improve.  Losing John brown won’t make us better.  Maybe we can replace him with a cheaper FA option.  Either way, our offense needs to be better imo

No chance it happens, but imagine if we added Toney and Kenneth Gainwell?  That’s some firepower that we could really use.  We’d have to find a way to fix the OL in FA and maybe a 3rd rd pick, but the O playmakers would make us a true threat to win it all. 

So Toney if he is there makes sense. I suspect he is gone. 

• TheBeaneBandit changed the title to [Cuts or trades etc.] With recent talk of "trimming the fat"....
17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So Toney if he is there makes sense. I suspect he is gone. 

Have you done your deep dive into Moore or Bateman yet?  

watching moore, I don’t see the elite speed that I continue to hear people rave about.  

looks like Bateman, while doesn’t have elite speed, has decent size and will probably run in the 4.4s, which is plenty fast enough as he’s adept at ball tracking from what I’ve seen

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1