Tyreek Hill impressed by Justin Zimmer

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I did write something about Justin during his first NFL preseason in Buffalo. As a result of that, I got talking with his dad. I understand why McDermott would think he's a good fit for the locker room, he was raised right.

He asked me for an honest opinion and I told him that I felt he made a poor decision to play under Rex. Given that Rex liked to employ a little more of 5-tech with 2-gap responsibilities while Justin is a far more direct player that needs to have a pretty simplified role. I felt he was a decent prospect but stuck in a bad scheme for his immediate development, especially coming from Ferris State.

I think it's a testament to his determination that he's been willing to keep at it, moving around on practice squads for a couple of years. Sometimes, it takes a while for it all to click in place for guys when they come from a small school.

Wow man thank you for the backstory.  Very cool!

So, in your opinion, all Zimmer needs is a proper scheme fit and a team willing to take a chance?

Are there any holes in his game that you've noticed that could bring him back to earth and back to a PS type guy?

19 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Wow man thank you for the backstory.  Very cool!

So, in your opinion, all Zimmer needs is a proper scheme fit and a team willing to take a chance?

Are there any holes in his game that you've noticed that could bring him back to earth and back to a PS type guy?

I think the scheme fit is absolutely crucial for a lot of players. The vast majority of players on NFL rosters are limited in some way or another. Finding the optimal fit for the few things they do well can be the difference between relative success and failure.

I think the downside to anyone that makes a living out of being a pure gap penetrator is that their aggression works both ways. I don't think it's unique to Justin that he might fall victim to trap blocks because his immediate instinct is to get straight forward. The elite 3-techs have the instincts that go with the aggression and athleticism, the lesser guys maybe don't possess the mental acuity to read their keys consistently.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Kelsay is a pretty average athlete. Wouldn't those numbers support average? 

I'd class 70th, 82nd and 84th percentile numbers as above average in the grand scheme of things.

The numbers that aren't listed like the 3-cone would round out his profile more towards average. I think we all watched him enough to know that lateral movement was never his forte.

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

Tim "Lunchpail" Anderson

Chris "High motor" Kelsey

Ryan "Frankenstein legs" Denney

Tim Anderson....I remember that dude.  He was one of those backups they you rooted for.  I remember there was a game at home versus New England in December where (of course) the Bills got destroyed. 

You would have thought Anderson was playing in the Super Bowl.  He was sprinting  for behind every freaking play even when there was no chance he’d make a tackle.

Always thought he was the poor man’s Kyle Williams 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Also contributed to what turned out to be the game winning play against New England when he caught Cam from behind and forced a fumble to seal the game.

Don't you mean CEH?

Haha yes CEH

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Not that unexpected tho...Zimmer's combine numbers were among the best for a DT prospect ever.  Super athletic guy.

That's pretty impressive. I honestly didn't know that about his combine stats. Probably due to media mostly talking up the bigger name prospects and whatnot. You would think he would have gotten drafted a little higher.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would seriously put him at fullback in short yardage.  He obviously can power forward but he can move as well for off tackle runs.

Similar to the way Kyle Williams was used those couple of times. Would reduce the amount of times Allen QB sneaks some.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The ironic thing is, you can argue that in limited work, Zimmer made more impactful plays that Ed Oliver.  His near strip on CHS almost turn the game and his strip on Cam

Newton DID win the football game.  

Small sample size, but the kid is a playmaker

Yup, he pretty much made the most out of his few chances. I remember some were kinda bashing him earlier on about how he wasn't good at stopping the run and got pushed back alot.

That was on the whole line and D also though, not just him.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yup, he pretty much made the most out of his few chances. I remember some were kinda bashing him earlier on about how he wasn't good at stopping the run and got pushed back alot.

That was on the whole line and D also though, not just him.

I think part of that was that he played 1 tech quite a bit at first and like Oliver he’s not really suited for that role.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kyle Williams (not saying he’s that good, but Kyle was an impressive athlete too and always went full bore) 

Kyle could have been a short yardage RB also.  Worked out the one time we did it! 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I think part of that was that he played 1 tech quite a bit at first and like Oliver he’s not really suited for that role.  

will be nice to have a REAL 1 tech next year.  Rotate Zimmer and Oliver at 3 tech.  We also need to acquire in FA or the draft another 1 Tech in addition to Star coming back.  This year showed we have NOTHING behind him.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I immediately noticed the same thing...whatever happened to the "athletic freak", blah blah blah

A lot this year Edmunds would make the correct read and be there just to miss the tackle or just get a piece of the guy. Its very frustrating , our MLB need to make those tackles!!!

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, wppete said:

Think we just found our next Full Back!!! Make it happen Mcdermott. 

Well, it might be a joke, but as I mentioned, the Ravens do that with Patrick Ricard. At over 300 pounds he has caught passes like a TE at times, and I'm sure he helps the run game.... since most of their plays are runs and screens.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he didn't fit in Rex scheme........but neither did a lot of the defensive roster.

The Bills ascension from obscurity really began with Marrone at the same exact time as Andy Reid in KC..........in fact the Bills started out well ahead of KC roster-wise.........McDermott has tried to make a point that "his" system is much newer than Reid's.........but the reality is that they were neck-and-neck roster wise during the Marrone/Ryan years and the scheme and regime changes are the primary reason why their rosters are disparate.   Zimmer coming back on the rebound is a nice story but the backstory is Billsy.    

Rex scheme ??? .... or maybe it was Rex and his “scheme” that did not belong in the NFL? He tried to force it in Buffalo and took a top 3 defense and flushed it down the drain. 

• Like (+1) 1

The real question is, will he be wearing an appropriate number next year if he makes the team?

With Harry coming on down the stretch (after his benching) and hopefully getting back to pre-ACL level, Eddie playing well, and Zimmer showing some stuff, our interior has some exciting things to look forward to!

Edited by whatdrought