Tyreek Hill impressed by Justin Zimmer

YoloinOhio

The ironic thing is, you can argue that in limited work, Zimmer made more impactful plays that Ed Oliver.  His near strip on CHS almost turn the game and his strip on Cam

Newton DID win the football game.  

Small sample size, but the kid is a playmaker

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

These plays are two good examples of Zimmer's foot speed.   On both plays I was stunned to see him pursuing the play.  His speed contributed to several tackles he made around the line of scrimmage, too.   I think he's a keeper.  

Also contributed to what turned out to be the game winning play against New England when he caught Cam from behind and forced a fumble to seal the game.

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

The ironic thing is, you can argue that in limited work, Zimmer made more impactful plays that Ed Oliver.  His near strip on CHS almost turn the game and his strip on Cam

Don't you mean CEH?

53 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sums up the Edmunds debates nicely.  He’s one of the only guys fast enough to get close to Hill, but still doesn’t make the play.  

Sums it up even nicer in that if Edmunds hadn't bit hard on the play fake he's one step closer to Hill to make that play or even defense the pass.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Had to look it up.... Just nuts 😯 

”Zimmer's amazing results included a 4.85 40-Yard Dash, a 33.5-inch Vertical Jump, a 7.01 3-Cone Drill and a 9-foot-9 Broad Jump. To top it all off, he also recorded a beastly 44 reps on the Bench Press. It's difficult to quantify exactly how impressive these numbers are”

https://www.stack.com/a/small-school-star-justin-zimmer-might-be-the-most-athletic-300-pound-prospect-in-nfl-history

Found this from the 2016 draft:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nflspinzone.com/2016/04/02/2016-nfl-draft-justin-zimmer-ultimate-sleeper/amp/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would seriously put him at fullback in short yardage.  He obviously can power forward but he can move as well for off tackle runs.

I was saying this earlier in the run game thread, half-joking.

But you may be onto something: namely, use Z not just as a short yardage bruiser, but get the "speed demon" off tackle and into space.

A man can dream, can't he?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

”Zimmer's amazing results included a 4.85 40-Yard Dash, a 33.5-inch Vertical Jump, a 7.01 3-Cone Drill and a 9-foot-9 Broad Jump. To top it all off, he also recorded a beastly 44 reps on the Bench Press. It's difficult to quantify exactly how impressive these numbers are”

https://www.stack.com/a/small-school-star-justin-zimmer-might-be-the-most-athletic-300-pound-prospect-in-nfl-history

I remember when Kent put his numbers through the RAS process. Multiple people thought there was a typo or two in there.

The average 3-cone for off ball LB prospects over the past deacde or so is 7.11. The average weight of those guys is a smidge over 240 pounds.

7 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I remember when Kent put his numbers through the RAS process. Multiple people thought there was a typo or two in there.

The average 3-cone for off ball LB prospects over the past deacde or so is 7.11. The average weight of those guys is a smidge over 240 pounds.

Just freaky man. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

He makes plays.    That extraordinary speed and quickness catches people by surprise which has a tendency of freeing up the football.

The much-deservedly-maligned Tremaine Edmunds has traits that could allow him to do the same but not as an uninstinctive off-ball LB.

In his first game as a pro he had a strip sack in Baltimore.    The more he learned the system the less impactful he became.  We should be seeing those kind of plays on the regular from #49. 

For those people who want me to admit that I was wrong about something...........I thought Zimmer was going to make the 2016 Bills team.  

So I was wrong.

But so did former resident TSW draft and camp analyst Astro.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

Looks like the guy bounced around the league but made the most out of his limited time on the field.

I wonder what's held this guy back for so long? His measurables are obviously elite for his position and he plays hard every snap.

Does he have off the field issues? Does he have a hard time grasping Defensive schemes? Is he too small and usually gets pushed back?

This is an honest question.  When he made the play vs. the Pats*, it hit me as a lucky play by a fringe player, but he continued to make plays and TBH was one of the more visible players on our D somehow.

Why hasn't he been given more opportunities prior to now?

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He's a 60 lbs larger version of Dan Brandenburg, if you recall that name. 

https://buffalonews.com/news/brandenburg-opens-gate-to-success/article_307437d7-6c4a-5b95-83d8-9c16244512e3.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sums up the Edmunds debates nicely.  He’s one of the only guys fast enough to get close to Hill, but still doesn’t make the play.  

Tyreek cuts so fast he can only get his hand on his hip rather than around it. 

Great hustle by Zimmer. 

Hill is just too fast.

11 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

He's a 60 lbs larger version of Dan Brandenburg, if you recall that name. 

https://buffalonews.com/news/brandenburg-opens-gate-to-success/article_307437d7-6c4a-5b95-83d8-9c16244512e3.html

The slam dunk champ!   The preseason NFLDPOY.

I had a guy tell me yesterday that Mitch Morse couldn't fall into the late rounds of the draft because his combine performance was too good...............just look at players who have passed thru the Bills that had crazy dream catcher #'s like Jason Peters,  Brandenburg, Zimmer.........it happens all the time.    Brandenburg is an example of why NOT to trust the track #'s.   Peters is an extreme example of why you shouldn't sleep on them.   Hopefully Zimmer keeps improving.   He's already pushing 30 so it's not a given but it's a good story.   

12 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I wonder what's held this guy back for so long? His measurables are obviously elite for his position and he plays hard every snap.

Does he have off the field issues? Does he have a hard time grasping Defensive schemes? Is he too small and usually gets pushed back?

I did write something about Justin during his first NFL preseason in Buffalo. As a result of that, I got talking with his dad. I understand why McDermott would think he's a good fit for the locker room, he was raised right.

He asked me for an honest opinion and I told him that I felt he made a poor decision to play under Rex. Given that Rex liked to employ a little more of 5-tech with 2-gap responsibilities while Justin is a far more direct player that needs to have a pretty simplified role. I felt he was a decent prospect but stuck in a bad scheme for his immediate development, especially coming from Ferris State.

I think it's a testament to his determination that he's been willing to keep at it, moving around on practice squads for a couple of years. Sometimes, it takes a while for it all to click in place for guys when they come from a small school.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I always catch Zimmer going full bore every play. It reminds me of those crazy effort guys we always had during the drought except the team is good now and I don't have to buy his jersey

Tim "Lunchpail" Anderson

Chris "High motor" Kelsey

Ryan "Frankenstein legs" Denney

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I did write something about Justin during his first NFL preseason in Buffalo. As a result of that, I got talking with his dad. I understand why McDermott would think he's a good fit for the locker room, he was raised right.

He asked me for an honest opinion and I told him that I felt he made a poor decision to play under Rex. Given that Rex liked to employ a little more of 5-tech with 2-gap responsibilities while Justin is a far more direct player that needs to have a pretty simplified role. I felt he was a decent prospect but stuck in a bad scheme for his immediate development, especially coming from Ferris State.

I think it's a testament to his determination that he's been willing to keep at it, moving around on practice squads for a couple of years. Sometimes, it takes a while for it all to click in place for guys when they come from a small school.

Yeah he didn't fit in Rex scheme........but neither did a lot of the defensive roster.

The Bills ascension from obscurity really began with Marrone at the same exact time as Andy Reid in KC..........in fact the Bills started out well ahead of KC roster-wise.........McDermott has tried to make a point that "his" system is much newer than Reid's.........but the reality is that they were neck-and-neck roster wise during the Marrone/Ryan years and the scheme and regime changes are the primary reason why their rosters are disparate.   Zimmer coming back on the rebound is a nice story but the backstory is Billsy.    

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

That 3 cone time is off the charts for someone his size. Sean just needs to find the optimal place to put him.