The Great Tremaine Edmunds Debate

JohnNord

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Wait, Edmunds is only 22???

He turns 23 soon after the draft.

I remember when Houston selected 19 year old DT Amobi Okoye in 2007 and he put up 5.5 sacks as a rookie...........a record for 20 year and younger DT's!  

He started for 4 years.......signed with Chicago as a free agent and flamed out at 24.

The common thread with Edmunds is that his best year as a playmaker was his rookie year.......and that he just leveled off and was adequate(and young) but didn't improve.

The AFC is pretty weak at MLB........which helps Edmunds with the pro bowl nods.........but even so, Edmunds is still graded on a curve with the assumption that there is a lot more there as a MLB.

If he had been a 3rd round pick at age 21-22 like a Preston Brown,  they'd be looking for an upgrade on Edmunds because he's not been instinctive and doesn't make game changing plays at MLB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He turns 23 soon after the draft.

I remember when Houston selected 19 year old DT Amobi Okoye in 2007 and he put up 5.5 sacks as a rookie...........a record for 20 year and younger DT's!  

He started for 4 years.......signed with Chicago as a free agent and flamed out at 24.

The common thread with Edmunds is that his best year as a playmaker was his rookie year.......and that he just leveled off and was adequate(and young) but didn't improve.

The AFC is pretty weak at MLB........which helps Edmunds with the pro bowl nods.........but even so, Edmunds is still graded on a curve with the assumption that there is a lot more there as a MLB.

If he had been a 3rd round pick at age 21-22 like a Preston Brown,  they'd be looking for an upgrade on Edmunds because he's not been instinctive and doesn't make game changing plays at MLB.

You perfectly summed it up. He's not instinctive at all nor does he make game changing plays. I think from here out McD will be leaning toward hybrid LB/SS types. Tremaine will never be a thumper or capable of selecting the right gap. Just stick him outside where he can at least be decent.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You perfectly summed it up. He's not instinctive at all nor does he make game changing plays. I think from here out McD will be leaning toward hybrid LB/SS types. Tremaine will never be a thumper or capable of selecting the right gap. Just stick him outside where he can at least be decent.

It’s startling to see how much he gets suckered into the wrong gap.  I have no idea why he won’t keep to his responsibilities.

The decision on his fifth year option is due next month.  I could see the Bills picking it up in hopes of seeing him improve (and I used to support that), but I no longer think they should.  You can’t have a MLB that’s this poor at the mental side of the game.  We can field a similarly effective MLB for a lot less than what we’d need to pay him.  I just don’t see how the Bills can pay him anything close to what’s expected on a second contract for the 16th overall pick.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I loved the pick.    Hated him being moved to MLB.   I'm not swayed by the fact that he gets 100+ tackles.    "Pedestrian Preston" Brown lead the NFL in tackles as the MLB in McD's defense in 2017.   The system provides a lot of opportunity.......which makes Edmunds' modest production after 6 years as a college and pro LB rather discouraging.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s startling to see how much he gets suckered into the wrong gap.  I have. I idea why he won’t keep to his responsibilities.

The decision on his fifth year option is due next month.  I could see the Bills picking it up in hopes of seeing him improving (and I used to support that), but I no longer think they should.  You can’t have a MLB that’s this poor at the mental side of the game.  We can field a similarly effective MLB for a lot less than what we’d need to pay him.  I just don’t see how the Bills can pay him anything close to what’s expected on a second contract for the 16th overall pick.

It would be a mistake to pick it up.

The franchise tag is only like $2M more and then you don't have the full guarantee permanently fixed on your cap in the event that he suffers an injury and misses the 2023 season altogether.   

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I loved the pick.    Hated him being moved to MLB.   I'm not swayed by the fact that he gets 100+ tackles.    "Pedestrian Preston" Brown lead the NFL in tackles as the MLB in McD's defense in 2017.   The system provides a lot of opportunity.......which makes Edmunds' modest production after 6 years as a college and pro LB rather discouraging.

I loved the pick too. He was so young and raw but he projected out amazing. Look at the level of improvement Josh has achieved in 3 years. But the same can't be said for TE. Maybe sliding him outside brings a different dynamic to his play? I just don't see him retained.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Oh yes I do. Unless they move him outside and he thrives, I don't see McB honoring his 5th year.

I'd be shocked if they don't. I think regardless of the fan perspective the regime is absolutely committed to Tremaine as their MLB. I may be wrong on that but reading between the lines of what they both said at the end of this season I think they are all in on him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't really know what to do with Edmunds. There is reason to trade him and possibly draft his replacement. Maybe a trade up with him and 30 as the piece. 

There's reason to sign him, mostly based on potential due to age. 

Edmunds isn't very instinctive. You would like your MLB to be the most instinctive player on the field. He's due big money over the next couple of years. Do you commit to a 5th year or try and replace him this year? 

His size and length for the position is elite. Even if out of position he takes up so much space. He's only turning 23. He's shown flashes of high level play. Consistency has been his issue but can be fixed. 

We're going to find out how the Bills feel about Edmunds in the next few weeks. 

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be shocked if they don't. I think regardless of the fan perspective the regime is absolutely committed to Tremaine as their MLB. I may be wrong on that but reading between the lines of what they both said at the end of this season I think they are all in on him.

I'de be shocked also. Edmunds is their guy. He has elite talent and size. The hope is his mental catches up to the physical. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't really know what to do with Edmunds. There is reason to trade him and possibly draft his replacement. Maybe a trade up with him and 30 as the piece. 

There's reason to sign him, mostly based on potential due to age. 

Edmunds isn't very instinctive. You would like your MLB to be the most instinctive player on the field. He's due big money over the next couple of years. Do you commit to a 5th year or try and replace him this year? 

His size and length for the position is elite. Even if out of position he takes up so much space. He's only turning 23. He's shown flashes of high level play. Consistency has been his issue but can be fixed. 

We're going to find out how the Bills feel about Edmunds in the next few weeks. 

I'de be shocked also. Edmunds is their guy. He has elite talent and size. The hope is his mental catches up to the physical. 

Unless Edmunds has a Josh Allen level leap in ability I dont think they will retain him. He is a fine player but not great. All the excuses from Cover1 and Nate Geary...why are we making excuses for a guy that is drafted that high and is a supposed athletic freak. Hes a good player but hes not all-pro great like some wanted. He is serviceable but not someone you can depend on all the time. Just look at this past season. if the scheme doesnt perfectly fit him or Milano gos down he disappears. Why would you want that guy as your defensive anchor. He should transcend scheme and injuries more often than not.

I think if he was a slam dunk to be our long term MLB we would not have signed Milano. I dont think Beane would wrap that much long term money into the LB position. So Milano getting the extension is a bit of a signal that he is ok letting Edmunds go, IMO.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’d like to see him rush the passer more.  I think he has a lot of potential in that role.  

He’s an enigma though... so young, but that doesn’t change the fact that we have to make a decision on whether to pay him soon. 

He had 1.5 career sacks in college. 1.5 as a player who had an even greater physical advantage than he does now. Looks to me like he rushes like he defends the run, just not explosive or determined. I will say if they did get him to attack more on the pass rush it might help the run defense too, just the whole mentality of attacking. 

The Bills have been bad against the run and at covering TE’s for years. As good as Frazier and McDerrmot appear to be at defense they need to look at themselves and figure out why the scheme does not work against these aspects of play.  Maybe Edmunds is central to this maybe he is not. Until the issue is solved, opposing teams will know the weakness of the Bills D and exploit it where they can.

• Agree 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:42 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just curious, what do you think the Wonderlic score tells us about a guy's ability to understand and play football?

The tests I've seen look like a cross between an older SAT (vocabulary, math) and an intelligence test (logic, spatial reasoning).

I'm not sure how well they predict one's ability to play football.

They tell you if a person can “retain” information and that’s needed for someone who’s supposed to be the “QB of the defense.”

8 minutes ago, The Governor said:

They tell you if a person can “retain” information and that’s needed for someone who’s supposed to be the “QB of the defense.”

There was a commercial on NFL network a few weeks back that showed Edmunds just shoulder-bumping a RB that runs right by him. He didn’t even extend his arms to make the tackle.

If the guy is THAT injured, he shouldn’t be on the field. If people claim his regression is due to injury, they’re actually saying our coaching is bad. EDIT: I didn’t mean to quote myself. Lol.

Edited by The Governor