The Great Tremaine Edmunds Debate

JohnNord

34 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Edmunds is such a frustrating player...I feel that if he were a mid round pick, we would be looking to upgrade...but because he was a first round pick we are stuck with him, and will likely pay him top dollar...unfortunately...👎

Not just a 1st round pick - a 1st round we traded up for!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't see how his age matters.  He's a 3rd year NFL vet.  I f he was a 24 year old 3rd year vet, he would be better? 

Repetition over his life time. 

Similar to the reason many used in order to defend Josh for not being an elite player in his first two seasons. 

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I vote we get rid of Edmunds and replace him with a linebacker from the 1980s. We will then be able to stop all the elite running offenses in the league like the Ravens, Colts, Patriots and Rams. 

Our 1980s LB won’t be able to defend against the pass, but that’s ok. 

Otis Wilson, Wilbur Marshall and Mike Singletary just called to say you are incorrect.

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Repetition over his life time. 

Similar to the reason many used in order to defend Josh for not being an elite player in his first two seasons. 

You mean he suffers from a lack of sufficient reps prior to joining the NFL?  He played 3 seasons/32 games at Virginia Tech and came out after his Jr year, like a lot of 1st rounders.  Why would his biological age matter at all now?

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I vote we get rid of Edmunds and replace him with a linebacker from the 1980s. We will then be able to stop all the elite running offenses in the league like the Ravens, Colts, Patriots and Rams. 

Weren’t we worst in the League covering Tight Ends last year? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Otis Wilson, Wilbur Marshall and Mike Singletary just called to say you are incorrect.

You mean he suffers from a lack of sufficient reps prior to joining the NFL?

I’m saying he’s doing the learning and growing that most 20, 21 and 22 year old LBs are doing while they’re still playing CFB. Whether that’s an excuse for him or not is up to you. I looked a few months ago but if I remember correctly most of the top LBs coming out this year are the same age or older than Edmunds. 

If folks are going to criticize Beane for not taking enough swings for players with elite traits, you can’t complain when the players with elite traits that he does take don’t pan out right away. 

It’s the same old song and dance every day here. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Weren’t we worst in the League covering Tight Ends last year? 

Yeah that’s a symptom of having zero pass rush. It’s been covered pretty extensively. CBs have a hard time running around with WR/TE for a long time, I guess LBs aren’t supposed to? 

Edited by JGMcD2

44 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Edmunds is such a frustrating player...I feel that if he were a mid round pick, we would be looking to upgrade...but because he was a first round pick we are stuck with him, and will likely pay him top dollar...unfortunately...👎

I agree with you and yes he has a bunch of tackles but never a big 3 and 1 hit in the backfield to me his just average but I hope he comes around 

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

2× Pro Bowl (2019, 2020)

First team All-ACC (2017)

Second team All-ACC (2016

It’s simple. NFL coaches and players are absolute idiots, only reason he could have possibly been a Pro Bowl selection. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Edmunds is good in pass defense?  

He had a 114 passer rating against and less passes defensed than Mario Addison.

Everyone expects him to just get better with age.........what they forget is the lesson we learned from the likes of JP Losman and Trent Edwards......... the more weaknesses they put on tape the more teams were able to exploit their weaknesses.

With Edmunds......this season QB's threw at his man when Edmunds was right on him because they've learned that Edmunds does not have a nose for the football..........he does not make big plays and force or collect turnovers..........so if you throw at him the worst thing that can happen is the ball ends up on the turf.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

He was also the 22-year-old captain of a top three defense (and the middle linebacker of a top three defense in his rookie season) in 2019 (and 2018). This was a weird pandemic year with no pre-season to get ready (which might just impact a team with mostly new players on the D-line and of course the loss of the mountain in the middle), he played a good portion of the season with a shoulder injury that clearly impaired him (and yet people here are calling him soft). He was playing much better after it healed, even if he made some bad plays. Yes, the Pro Bowl can be laughable, but a lot of that has to do with (1) players making it on reputation and (2) starters not wanting to play so 4th alternates wind up in Hawaii. First off, I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure most of Edmunds' votes came from players and coaches, not fans, so what "rep" is he coasting on? Maybe the players and coaches see things some fans don't. Also, he was voted 1st team this year. 

I'm not saying I think he's perfect, or that I don't see some plays that make me shake my head sometimes, but this attitude many here seem to have that he's been a total disappointment feels insane to me. I'm not in favor of extending him right away, but I am excited to see what happens behind a better DL with hopefully Star (or a similar 1T) back, with a normal season, in which (hopefully) he is not hurt.

Also, we were 13-3 and a game away from the Super Bowl. Edmunds was a key player on a defense that was dominant two out of his three years (every year where there wasn't a pandemic--limited pre-season and practice does mean something). Why are a good portion of the threads on this site so damn negative. I mean, the week after was one thing, but we're acting like this was a 3-13 team. 

I've always felt a bit weird about the phrase Bills Mafia, but I love that it was formed to try to promote fan positivity towards the players. When they attacked Stevie Johnson, the fans had his back. I'm not saying we shouldn't critique players, but some people seem to make it their mission and engage in hyperbole to tear players down. Does anybody here REALLY think Tremaine is terrible?! In any case, ultimately it's up to McD and so far they have given us pretty good reason to trust the damn process.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’m saying he’s doing the learning and growing that most 20, 21 and 22 year old LBs are doing while they’re still playing CFB. Whether that’s an excuse for him or not is up to you. I looked a few months ago but if I remember correctly most of the top LBs coming out this year are the same age or older than Edmunds. 

If folks are going to criticize Beane for not taking enough swings for players with elite traits, you can’t complain when the players with elite traits that he does take don’t pan out right away. 

It’s the same old song and dance every day here. 

Yeah that’s a symptom of having zero pass rush. It’s been covered pretty extensively. CBs have a hard time running around with WR/TE for a long time, I guess LBs aren’t supposed to? 

I haven’t seen anywhere that Edmunds is not considered anything but mature and hard working.   Also, he was no project player coming out of a fringe conference.  He was a celebrated player with more college experience than a lot of guys jumping to the first round early from college have.

There’s no persuasive argument that his age is hampering him in any way. With the same college and pro experience, simply being a year or 2 older in age doesn’t add much, if anything. 

37 minutes ago, Beast said:

And he consistantly gets voted to the Pro Bowl by his peers because he has cool dreads.

Pro bowl is a joke and they probably see all those tackles he has but don’t watch tape of him getting them 8 yards down the field 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The time hasn't come for Edmunds.

The time has come for Milano.

There's really no need for this debate because we have Edmunds locked down with us for 2 more years.  The debate really should be whether we just let Milano walk or pay him top dollar.  I'm on the side that we should let him walk because when he says "top dollar" I'm assuming he's talking Khalil Mack and Von Miller type money, and he's definitely not worth that.

If Milano and Edmunds were both UFAs, I’d put money on Milano.

But you’re right, the timing of their deals make it moot.

I do find it frightening that Edmunds looked a whole lot better with Milano back. Obviously, teammates matter especially on defense. But Edmunds was supposed to be All-Pro level. Not sure he’ll ever reach that if he needs a decent LBer next him to play well.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I haven’t seen anywhere that Edmunds is not considered anything but mature and hard working.   Also, he was no project player coming out of a fringe conference.  He was a celebrated player with more college experience than a lot of guys jumping to the first round early from college have.

There’s no persuasive argument that his age is hampering him in any way. With the same college and pro experience, simply being a year or 2 older in age doesn’t add much, if anything. 

It has nothing to do with being mature and hard working. That’s not the age argument. Players his age are experiencing these growing pains while still in college. He’s had to endure them while in the NFL. He was able to lean on his size and speed in college, he can’t do that in the pros. 

The big knocks on him coming out were that he was able to get away with a lot in college because he was genetically superior. The other was that he needed to put on more size to shed blocks. There’s been some growth but not a lot... is it completely out of the realm to believe he’s still growing and adjusting to his body at 22? 

I really don’t know how you can discount the fact that he’s spending formative years in the NFL while most do it in college. What do you think the result is if you dump a bunch of 20 year old players into the NFL?

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

His love and pro bowl appearances have more to do with his draft status than on field performance. That is pure fact. 

NFL coaches and players are looking up the round a guy was drafted in and making their decision to send a guy to the Pro Bowl because of that?