Is The Answer @ DE Already On The Team?

H2o

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm going to re-hash it again. Ed is on the light side for a DT playing between 280-290lbs. Yes, I know, so is Aaron Donald. On the interior of the defense Ed gets a ton of double teams and this year they had him playing out of position at the 1-Tech on many occasions. We did see flashes from him as a rookie at the 3-Tech though. I still wonder if he would not be better served, as well as the team by his possible production at the position, by a move to DE? Take a look at his Combine and Pro Day results.

image.thumb.png.cb2cd6bf9e9cae9255137072b0ac104a.png

You know who Ed Oliver's numbers comp to, almost identical, and he weighs about 10lbs more than this person? Myles Garrett. Not saying he is just like Myles Garrett or would immediately put up Myles Garrett numbers at the position, but I think Ed could be a beast playing DE. Hughes isn't getting any younger. Murphy is gone. We're not sure what will happen with Addison. What will Epenesa end up being after a full offseason in the strength and conditioning program? To me this just makes sense. Reggie White was a 290lb defensive end and one of the most fearsome to ever play the game. I think they should give him a look there and see what happens. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Normally i'd say you are high!

but, i think some of what he does looks a bit like John Randle, do you know how the hand size and arm length compares to Myles?

it's a different position, and i don't think oliver is every gonna be what myles was walking off the bus, but maybe!

• Like (+1) 2

Oliver is 6'1". He is not a DE. Could he get a few DE snaps from time to time? Sure I'd have no issue with that especially if they went with a heavy package of Starr and Harrison at DT.

But he is not an everyday DE.

They need to draft a future DE. Epenesa has the height and I like that they asked him to cut weight.  He should be at worst an upgrade over Murphy and a youngerand probably better version of Addison.

The free agents Beane brought in last year for the DL were mostly awful. Starr coming back will help. Beane needs to cut his losses with Addison, Butler, and Jefferson (are least two of the three). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How about a novel thought: take care of the 1TDT thing and let Ed get back to playing 3TDT, his natural position?

Not sure what all of these numbers mean, but when it comes to DT my favorite numbers are 3-5-0, as in 350+ pounds.

And that's before we get the guy into some Buffalo area establishments!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Not sure what all of these numbers mean, but when it comes to DT my favorite numbers are 3-5-0, as in 350+ pounds.

And that's before we get the guy into some Buffalo area establishments!

See in today's nfl I don't know that you need those guys.  Players on both lines have become more athletic, and those that are 1Ts tend to be quicker than they used to be.  Even pure nose tackles like brandon williams are sub-350 and deceptively athletic.  

31 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Ed is built nothing like Myles Garrett though. He's considerably shorter and he's giving up about 3.5 inches in arm length, which is a huge difference when you consider leverage.

Yeah, they are built different for sure. Ed does have that burst and quick first step though. I also think that OT's would have more trouble with him in space because of the power he plays with and his thick lower build. Like mentioned above, John Randle was 6'1" as was Lorax. I'm not saying move him there full time and that's it, but I would like them to give him an extended look in TC or something just to see how he does. 

I love these narratives about moving players around - Oliver to DE, Edmunds to DE or OLB - without any consideration of defensive scheme, natural position, or accurate judgment on performance.

Fwiw, Oliver graded out exceptionally for 3T and average or above at 1T despite it not being his natural position. I do believe we need to let him settle into a 3T only role and avoid the hybrid approach with him, but any idea of him transitioning to DE would remove his ability and results we see now. Losing Star and relying on the revolving door of Butler/Phillips made us weaker at 1T this year, and forced us to try QJeff and Oliver there more than we should have, two guys who should be nowhere near the 1T role.

Edmunds moving to another position has been beaten more than any narrative, and completely ignores our LB assignments and position roles in McD’s defense. Trying him at DE, when most everyone’s biggest complaint is his inability to shed blocks, would be even more maddening for those folks. Let him develop and let’s see where we are with Milano this offseason - there’s little to no difference between their positions in this scheme.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Would we have been better off giving Shaq Lawson the 30 mil we gave to Mario Addison? I don't know how the details matchup, but Miami gave Shaq a 30 mil contract. 

It's a lot easier to DUMP Mario A's contract after 1 year. I believe Shaq had a lot more guaranteed and it would have cost more to dump him. So the contracts were a little different...... I don't think either were worth 30 mil.... So maybe it was wiser to let Shaq go....?

22 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Would we have been better off giving Shaq Lawson the 30 mil we gave to Mario Addison? I don't know how the details matchup, but Miami gave Shaq a 30 mil contract. 

No.

Shaq returned to his "meh" self once he got paid.

Addison was a disappointment but he was a one year commitment.............Miami is stuck with Shaq for next year because the dead cap is over $10M to cut him.

Addison's dead cap is $4M.........which sucks.........but at least that's $6M in 2021 cap room that could in theory go into year one of a long term deal for a legitimate pass rusher.

Ultimately $10M+ DE's that don't move the needle in pass rush like Lawson and Addison aren't a fit for this style of defense.

• Like (+1) 1