Rising Tide Lifts All Boats - Schefter sez Jets could get 1st round pick for Darnold

On 2/4/2021 at 1:31 PM, HOFWingman17 said:

Not sure what this has to do with Sam Darnold. Sam Darnold is a talent and can be successful in the league. Keep in mind our personnel team had two QB's they coveted in that draft. Josh Allen and Sam Darnold. In addition, and without looking it up, Steve Young, Jim Plunkett, Brett Favre, Vinny Testaverde, Johnny Unitas, and Jack Kemp all struggled with their original teams before they went on to have success with their next teams. 

Should have read thoroughly to avoid making yourself look silly. 

On 2/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, GunnerBill said:

Vera Tucker is a really good player. Whether he is worth a first round pick really comes down to whether you think he can play tackle. I haven't got deep enough into his tackle tape yet to have an answer. 

I have done him today. He can play left tackle. He can certainly play right tackle. I'd feel a bit better about him in a true zone scheme - perfect for one of the Shanahan offense teams - Packers, 49ers, Jets, Falcons etc... but he is a 1st round player. 

• Like (+1) 1

What I need to know is with the new reports that the Colts are looking at maybe 1 or at max 2 2nd Rd picks for Wentz - Does a receding tide lower all ships?

Does Wentz for 1 2nd pick make Darnold really worth a late 2nd or a 3rd?

It will also be interesting with the Wilson talk out of Seattle - what impact does that have on these 2 potential trades and the Watson trade from Houston. 

Stafford raised the tides, Wentz looked like he is lowering the tides - what ebb and flow.

Glad we have our guy!

On 2/9/2021 at 2:55 PM, GunnerBill said:

I have done him today. He can play left tackle. He can certainly play right tackle. I'd feel a bit better about him in a true zone scheme - perfect for one of the Shanahan offense teams - Packers, 49ers, Jets, Falcons etc... but he is a 1st round player. 

I was just wondering about this and thinking Vera, Vera, what has become of you?

52 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

What I need to know is with the new reports that the Colts are looking at maybe 1 or at max 2 2nd Rd picks for Wentz - Does a receding tide lower all ships?

It will also be interesting with the Wilson talk out of Seattle - what impact does that have on these 2 potential trades and the Watson trade from Houston. 

Stafford raised the tides, Wentz looked like he is lowering the tides - what ebb and flow.

Glad we have our guy!

I'd pay more for Darnold than for Wentz at this point. Wentz was the worst starter in the NFL last year. He has the yips. Maybe he is salvageable. Maybe. But to be honest I doubt it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Glad we have our guy!

How times have changed!  Never seen so much potential QB movement.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Glad we have our guy!

I doubt the Wilson stuff has any impact at all, mainly because I doubt anyone actually thinks Wilson is available. They'll call Seattle to check just to make sure, but it's not gonna happen IMO.

Not entirely sure Wentz fetches more in a trade than Darnold; I think it'll likely be pretty similar either way. Supposedly Chicago has already put a 1st on the table for Wentz. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Darnold.

Personally, if I were the Jets, I'd probably keep Darnold. Aside from cap reasons, I'm not sure any of the rookies in this draft outside of Lawrence would actually be an upgrade over Darnold and I think given how far the Jets are from being a good team, I'd rather not sink another pick into a QB yet. Better to build the team up and evaluate Darnold with actual football talent around him and then if he isn't good enough, add the rookie QB at the end of the rebuild so that you have 5 years to take advantage of their rookie contract rather than only being competitive for 2-3.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I doubt the Wilson stuff has any impact at all, mainly because I doubt anyone actually thinks Wilson is available. They'll call Seattle to check just to make sure, but it's not gonna happen IMO.

Not entirely sure Wentz fetches more in a trade than Darnold; I think it'll likely be pretty similar either way. Supposedly Chicago has already put a 1st on the table for Wentz. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Darnold.

Personally, if I were the Jets, I'd probably keep Darnold. Aside from cap reasons, I'm not sure any of the rookies in this draft outside of Lawrence would actually be an upgrade over Darnold and I think given how far the Jets are from being a good team, I'd rather not sink another pick into a QB yet. Better to build the team up and evaluate Darnold with actual football talent around him and then if he isn't good enough, add the rookie QB at the end of the rebuild so that you have 5 years to take advantage of their rookie contract rather than only being competitive for 2-3.

I think the "GHOST GAME" killed Darnold's confidence. If I were the Jets I would move on from him. Even though the Jets are a terrible organization, Darnold still makes the same poor decisions that he was making as a rookie. I don't think he has what it takes from a mental standpoint to play QB at the NFL. This year will be his 4th year in the league and he hasn't established himself as a solid starter yet. For example Allen has shown he has the "IT" factor, Darnold has not. 

On 2/4/2021 at 12:22 PM, dneveu said:

Bucs could trade 31/32 maybe?  Its just tough because he's burned through his cheap contract.  

I think bears are best fit. 

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Glad we have our guy!

Philly was asking for 2 1sts for Wentz it was rumored to Chicago. 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

I would not give up on Sam , with Gase gone build around him . Trade down from #2 for more draft picks . 

I don’t believe in Darnold, and never have, but this is what I’d do too.  I’d give Darnold one more year, and would not pick up the fifth year option.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd pay more for Darnold than for Wentz at this point. Wentz was the worst starter in the NFL last year. He has the yips. Maybe he is salvageable. Maybe. But to be honest I doubt it.

I agree that I prefer Darnold as well and think he should be worth more (both as a player and as because of contract).   It was interesting to me that when the Wentz talk started and they were looking for 2 firsts - that made Darnold potentially worth a first, but now that Wentz is settling it at perhaps a mid-late round second from Indy does that impact Darnold.

I still think a 2nd for Wentz would justify a late first or early second for Darnold, but I think it does lessen his value a bit.  

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I don’t believe in Darnold, and never have, but this is what I’d do too.  I’d give Darnold one more year, and would not pick up the fifth year option.  

I’m not sure how that helps the Jets.  He plays well then your stuck with investing a lot of money in him after 1 good year.  Let’s be honest, he’d have to have a 2019 Tannehill turnaround year to erase the past 3.  He plays bad and then you wasted a year and passed on a QB at pick 2.  You take what you get for him and move on.  Sucks if you’re a Jets fan but that’s the best thing for their future.  

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I think bears are best fit. 

Philly was asking for 2 1sts for Wentz it was rumored to Chicago. 

Yes the original rumor was potentially 2 firsts from Chicago for Wentz, but that seemed to go over in Chicago like a lead ballon.

The most recent rumors was Indy looking at perhaps a 2nd to “take on” the contract.

I think that is a more realistic return for Wentz.  

I agree that I am not sure that impacts Darnold to much, but it really depends on what the team plans to do and do the Jets believe they can salvage Darnold or are they going to lose him for nothing next year because I do not see them exercising the 5th year option.  That gives them a short window around the draft to decide if they want to gain picks and move on or hold on and see what they can do with a new coach and plan.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m not sure how that helps the Jets.  He plays well then your stuck with investing a lot of money in him after 1 good year.  Let’s be honest, he’d have to have a 2019 Tannehill turnaround year to erase the past 3.  He plays bad and then you wasted a year and passed on a QB at pick 2.  You take what you get for him and move on.  Sucks if you’re a Jets fan but that’s the best thing for their future.  

I guess it depends whether there is a QB you like at 2.  Sure, if you love Fields or Wilson, then that’s the way to go.  I kinda doubt that’s the case though.

Edited by mannc

51 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think the "GHOST GAME" killed Darnold's confidence. If I were the Jets I would move on from him. Even though the Jets are a terrible organization, Darnold still makes the same poor decisions that he was making as a rookie. I don't think he has what it takes from a mental standpoint to play QB at the NFL. This year will be his 4th year in the league and he hasn't established himself as a solid starter yet. For example Allen has shown he has the "IT" factor, Darnold has not. 

So I still think there is hope there for Sam but if he is going to realise it he needs a fresh start IMO. And if I am Robert Saleh I want that too. I'd move on and draft one of Wilson, Fields or Lance. 

On 2/12/2021 at 7:46 AM, GunnerBill said:

So I still think there is hope there for Sam but if he is going to realise it he needs a fresh start IMO. And if I am Robert Saleh I want that too. I'd move on and draft one of Wilson, Fields or Lance. 

But which one would you draft?  

after watching about an hour of tape, I’d take Lance last.  Not a fan of his throwing motion. 

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But which one would you draft?  

after watching about an hour of tape, I’d take Lance last.  Not a fan of his throwing motion. 

Not dug into them yet, but I think Fields is a  prima facie schematic fit for Mike LaFleur's scheme.

• Like (+1) 1