Rising Tide Lifts All Boats - Schefter sez Jets could get 1st round pick for Darnold

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is there actually a player named "Aloe Vera Tucker"?  Asking for a friend.

Bet he has soft hands...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I honestly don't see the Jets moving on from Darnold this year. Like what the Bills did with Tyrod Taylor, as they may want to see what they have in Sam with a decent scheme with some talent around him.

OTOH, if they have already made up their minds about moving on, QBs Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields will all be there with the #2 pick.

Although, I would think they will want to go WR DeVonta Smith from Alabama to beat Miami to the punch. The Jets also have the #23rd pick in the first round for that defensive player or RB the HC might want. 

The problem is that the Jets will likely not be drafting in the top 5 next year if end up starting Darnold this year and then eliminating them from being in draft position to draft a quality QB prospect (see QB purgatory). 

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I mean... they can't run the ball and they have no receivers.  They have no identity.  

Hes a tricky case cuz he flamed out largely due to alcohol. Carson Palmer might fit the bill - traded in his prime to oakland. Put up his statisitcal bests in Arizona on his 3rd team.

Palmer finished 5th in the league in MVP voting in his second season. He led the league in TD passes and completion percentage. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I guess it's possible. I don't know though, imo he's just not worth a 1st maybe a 2nd either. But you never know, he could be one of those that needs a different team and new start and could turn into a good QB.

I wouldn't bet a 1st round pick on it though. That's just me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The same people who say "no way" would be open to selecting Aloe Vera Tucker,  offensive guard.......with that pick.

Vera Tucker is a really good player. Whether he is worth a first round pick really comes down to whether you think he can play tackle. I haven't got deep enough into his tackle tape yet to have an answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has another year, similar to where jimmy G was when he was traded. Acquiring team could pick up 5th year option (assuming he’s traded prior to May) or decline and wait to see how he does. Colts would be a great fit. 

I don’t like Darnold but I do think the perception is that he’s been in a bad situation with little support -OL or weapons - and the Gase factor. A QB minded coach like frank reich might want to take a shot at him. 

That’s possible, but I can see Reich and Irsay trying to swing a trade deal for Wentz.  The $ is high for him, but Reich did the best with him.

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What makes you certain of that? 

The lack of apparent development in three NFL seasons.  Sam and Josh are by all accounts really good friends, and they both work with Jordan Palmer.  Sam was a "chosen one" at the QB position, playing at USC and lauded as "the next best thing" as a freshman.  It came easy to him, and I don't get the impression he is putting in the necessary work.  It's really a study in contrast between a guy who has had to fight for everything (Josh) and one who has had a lot handed to him (Sam).  Doesn't make him a bad guy, but how many uber-talented athletes never reach greatness because they just don't have the necessary drive?  That's what I see in Sam.  Do I know this for certain?  Of course not, but it is my instinct.

I don't see it with Darnold. Not a fan at all.

Look at a kid like Stafford. Tough as nails. Puts up the stats every season on hopeless teams. Took the Lions of all organizations to the playoffs 3 different seasons. Plays hurt all the time. Has the mental toughness to deal with perpetual losing without cracking. Hardly ever misses time. 

Darnold has missed a lot of time and just seems lost and/or mentally beaten down. Now, he's in a terrible spot. But still, some guys keep plugging away (Stafford, Carr) and others like Darnold just seem to melt. 

When a guy who has gone through playing on a miserable team like Stafford finally gets a shot on a good team with a real coach, watch what happens. He was never broken.

Darnold is going to need to be "reconstructed" and that's a low % proposition, IMO. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1