Rising Tide Lifts All Boats - Schefter sez Jets could get 1st round pick for Darnold

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’m sure the Jets want a late first but based on Darnold the past two season, I’d be surprised if anyone gave up more than a 3rd.

For a team to trade a first round pick they really need to be convinced of that player’s ability.  I don’t think that any team would risk a first on Darnold.  A 3rd round pick would be a different story 

With so many QBs reportedly coming available via trade, there may be a "run on QBs" starting soon. I think the OP's point was that due to this sudden market movement, all QBs will be over-valued.

Much of this hoopla is due to Tannehill's success with the Titans, ignoring the fact that it is quite rare for a discarded QB to find good success with his second team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

With so many QBs reportedly coming available via trade, there may be a "run on QBs" starting soon. I think the OP's point was that due to this sudden market movement, all QBs will be over-valued.

Much of this hoopla is due to Tannehill's success with the Titans, ignoring the fact that it is quite rare for a discarded QB to find good success with his second team. 

Jimmy G did play in a super bowl... but he wasn't exactly the guy that got them there.  

• Agree 1

Not many QBs drafted in the top 10 suck and then 'go to a good team' and 'find their groove'. You can count on one hand how often it's happened in the entire history of the NFL.

I watched all of the Jets games this year. Darnold is toast. Yes, he was in bad situation with a bad coach, etc, etc, but regardless of why, he sucks. The corpse of Joe Flacco significantly outplayed him. Darnold did the same boneheaded things he does now he did at USC and has not shown one iota of improvement. 

Anyone who uses the term 'flash' in regards to an NFL player should stop. It is the silliest thing to say. Every player can flash. They all have talent. It doesn't matter what you do in small spurts. If you can't do it consistently then it doesn't matter. 

Also, Shefter and Darnold have the same agent. Make you wonder if the best way to get Darnold out of the Jets isn't to make some team out there think there's *some* interest and to float a 3rd the Jets way that makes Douglas jump.

• Like (+1) 1

I had kind of pegged the Jets as being able to get a pick somewhere in the late 1st to mid 2nd for Darnold. I think the Steelers make a lot of sense for Darnold. The Steelers can bring back Big Ben on a one year deal and give Darnold a one year mini-extension. The Steelers can then sit Darnold for a year behind Big Ben and rebuild him. It would make sense for both parties and give Darnold a good shot to revive his career.

• Like (+1) 1

It would not shock me AT ALL to see Darnold go someplace else and flourish.  They gave him nothing to work with in NY.  He gets ridiculed for the "ghosts" game, but he still has great skills & w/ proper coaching and good weapons he could still be an excellent QB in the NFL.

I'll tell ya this - I do NOT want to see him on the Patriots.

• Like (+1) 2

I think saints make tons of sense too for Darnold.  They are cap strapped and have Hill if Darnold continues to see ghosts.  I think Darnold could actually turn it around give the train wreck the Jets were, but it’s still a dicey proposition thinking the guy is suddenly gonna be good once he leaves the Jets.  1st round picks are truly being de-valued if Jets fetch one for Darnold. 

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Not many QBs drafted in the top 10 suck and then 'go to a good team' and 'find their groove'. You can count on one hand how often it's happened in the entire history of the NFL.

I watched all of the Jets games this year. Darnold is toast. Yes, he was in bad situation with a bad coach, etc, etc, but regardless of why, he sucks. The corpse of Joe Flacco significantly outplayed him. Darnold did the same boneheaded things he does now he did at USC and has not shown one iota of improvement. 

Anyone who uses the term 'flash' in regards to an NFL player should stop. It is the silliest thing to say. Every player can flash. They all have talent. It doesn't matter what you do in small spurts. If you can't do it consistently then it doesn't matter. 

Also, Shefter and Darnold have the same agent. Make you wonder if the best way to get Darnold out of the Jets isn't to make some team out there think there's *some* interest and to float a 3rd the Jets way that makes Douglas jump.

Interesting take. It's got me thinking too - which top 10 QBs didn't produce for their first three years and then flourished a few years later, either for the team that drafted them or elsewhere?  I can think of Jim Plunkett, Steve Young, Terry Bradshaw, Tannehill (not sure if he fits; he was never really that bad) and Alex Smith. Steve Bartkowski (questionable, but he did have a couple of very good seasons 6-7 years after he was drafted #1 overall), Vinnie Testaverde (similar), and Jeff George (believe it or not, similar) all semi-qualify too.  Maybe Sam Bradford? He played pretty well over the course of 17 games for Minnesota before getting hurt again. Maybe not. 

Anyway, your larger point stands: it's basically a sea of continued failure going back decades for top ten picks who fail out of the gate: http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Interesting take. It's got me thinking too - which top 10 QBs didn't produce for their first three years and then flourished a few years later, either for the team that drafted them or elsewhere?  I can think of Jim Plunkett, Steve Young, Terry Bradshaw, Tannehill (not sure if he fits; he was never really that bad) and Alex Smith. Steve Bartkowski (questionable, but he did have a couple of very good seasons 6-7 years after he was drafted #1 overall), Vinnie Testaverde (similar), and Jeff George (believe it or not, similar) all semi-qualify too.  Maybe Sam Bradford? He played pretty well over the course of 17 games for Minnesota before getting hurt again. Maybe not. 

Anyway, your larger point stands: it's basically a sea of continued failure going back decades for top ten picks who fail out of the gate: http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

Gannon and kerry collins come to mind.  Players who were essentially late bloomers, or just needed to find a new place.  Drew brees is the big one.  

• Like (+1) 1

I look at it this way: Darnold is the 2nd best QB in this draft when compared to Fields and the kid from BYU (who I will refer to as "the new blaine gabbart").

If Fields and BYU are predicted to go top-10, then a late 1st for Darnold is a good deal.

I think Pittsburgh would be wise to pull this off.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Gannon and kerry collins come to mind.  Players who were essentially late bloomers, or just needed to find a new place.  Drew brees is the big one.  

Agreed, but @jeremy2020 specified top 10 draft picks. I hesitate to put Collins, who was one, in their given that the Panthers got to the NFC championship game in his second season. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Would Josh Allen be exactly the same QB he is today if he had been drafted by the Jets?

We'll never know.  But I've posted numerous times on this forum that I believe there is one key difference between Josh and Sam.  Josh has the drive and "want-to" to improve and be great.  I'm pretty certain at this point Sam does not.  Buyer beware.

• Agree 4

I honestly don't see the Jets moving on from Darnold this year. Like what the Bills did with Tyrod Taylor, as they may want to see what they have in Sam with a decent scheme with some talent around him.

OTOH, if they have already made up their minds about moving on, QBs Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields will all be there with the #2 pick.

Although, I would think they will want to go WR DeVonta Smith from Alabama to beat Miami to the punch. The Jets also have the #23rd pick in the first round for that defensive player or RB the HC might want. 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Not sure what this has to do with Sam Darnold. Sam Darnold is a talent and can be successful in the league. Keep in mind our personnel team had two QB's they coveted in that draft. Josh Allen and Sam Darnold. In addition, and without looking it up, Steve Young, Jim Plunkett, Brett Favre, Vinny Testaverde, Johnny Unitas, and Jack Kemp all struggled with their original teams before they went on to have success with their next teams. 

45 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Seems unlikely to me, more Jets wishful thinking....unless it is to Pats.

Frankly, id keep Sam and give him some weapons. 

I mean... they can't run the ball and they have no receivers.  They have no identity.  

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed, but @jeremy2020 specified top 10 draft picks. I hesitate to put Collins, who was one, in their given that the Panthers got to the NFC championship game in his second season. 

Hes a tricky case cuz he flamed out largely due to alcohol. Carson Palmer might fit the bill - traded in his prime to oakland. Put up his statisitcal bests in Arizona on his 3rd team.

Edited by dneveu