Rising Tide Lifts All Boats - Schefter sez Jets could get 1st round pick for Darnold

https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/02/nfl-rumors-jets-can-get-late-1st-round-draft-pick-for-sam-darnold-espns-adam-schefter-reports.html

A late 1st round, but still.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter answered that question Tuesday on the “Haberman & Middlekauff” YouTube show.

“Depends on the level of interest and it depends on how the quarterback chairs fall. So if all of a sudden, there were a bunch of teams in on Matthew Stafford and they look at Sam Darnold and they say, ‘You know, we really like this guy.’ Do I think they’re getting a top-10 pick for Sam Darnold? No. Do I think that they could get a first-round pick, a later first-round pick? Yes, yes.”

“Sam Darnold, in my mind, I know that some people will say no way, they’ll say he’s not worth a first-round pick. I headed into the offseason thinking they would get a second-round pick and maybe something else for him. I thought that would be his value if they decided to trade him. I think with all the movement going on, I think with what Matthew Stafford went for, I think his value, in then, again if they trade him, will be some sort of late one. That’s my sense and belief.”

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not a huge Darnold fan going back to his usc days but if Rosen fetched a 2nd... not at all surprised Darnold could go for a late 1st. Jimmy G also went for a 2nd and he had only started like 4 games. 

I think Rosen fetched a 2nd because there was a widespread perception he'd come into a bad situation and because of the coaching change.

Jimmy G looked terrific in those 4 games.  But sure, part of what people were trading for was promise and potential.

The problem with Sam Darnold is he's started 38 games now, played under two HC/OCs, and looks to be getting worse not better. He's been devalued by greater exposure causing perception of lower potential.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Anyone who trades a first round pick for Darnold needs to go into and STAY in QB purgatory.

Disagree.  Anyone who gives a late first for Darnold is simply acknowledging that the Jets organization is a tire fire and almost no one had a chance to succeed in that position.

Would Josh Allen be exactly the same QB he is today if he had been drafted by the Jets?

I would suggest he would not be.

Those who liked Darnold to begin with could easily give a first for him.

I thought he regressed in his last year at USC and hasn't ever really shined as hoped for, but these NFL guys love to retread people over and over and over, always thinking they are the magic QB whisperer who can turn things around.

Darnold deserves at least another shot at a different organization, as does Josh Rosen in my opinion.  He may have had the single worst QB entry into the NFL in league history.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Bucs could trade 31/32 maybe?  Its just tough because he's burned through his cheap contract.  

He has another year, similar to where jimmy G was when he was traded. Acquiring team could pick up 5th year option (assuming he’s traded prior to May) or decline and wait to see how he does. Colts would be a great fit. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Rosen fetched a 2nd because there was a widespread perception he'd come into a bad situation and because of the coaching change.

Jimmy G looked terrific in those 4 games.  But sure, part of what people were trading for was promise and potential.

The problem with Sam Darnold is he's started 38 games now, played under two HC/OCs, and looks to be getting worse not better. He's been devalued by greater exposure causing perception of lower potential.

I don’t like Darnold but I do think the perception is that he’s been in a bad situation with little support -OL or weapons - and the Gase factor. A QB minded coach like frank reich might want to take a shot at him. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The same people who say "no way" would be open to selecting Aloe Vera Tucker,  offensive guard.......with that pick.

As bad as our guards are, I pray he’s not our pick @ 30.  No guards in rd 1 or 2 please!!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has another year, similar to where jimmy G was when he was traded. Acquiring team could pick up 5th year option (assuming he’s traded prior to May) or decline and wait to see how he does. Colts would be a great fit. 

I don’t like Darnold but I do think the perception is that he’s been in a bad situation with little support -OL or weapons - and the Gase factor. A QB minded coach like frank reich might want to take a shot at him. 

Great spot. They do need to improve their WR group though.  Hilton is a FA and Pittman is the only guy with any upside imo.  All 3 TEs are meh too

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would take Wyatt Davis at top of the 2nd in a trade town situation 

He’s a beast.  I’m just not a fan of drafting guards in rd 1 or 2.  I also don’t think he’ll be available in rd 2, but maybe the injury pushed him down? 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree that's the perception, and agree about a QB minded coach wanting to bring him in for a look - but I don't see them wanting to pay a first round pick PLUS $4.7M in guaranteed salary to do so.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great spot. They do need to improve their WR group though.  Hilton is a FA and Pittman is the only guy with any upside imo.  All 3 TEs are meh too

He’s a beast.  I’m just not a fan of drafting guards in rd 1 or 2.  I also don’t think he’ll be available in rd 2, but maybe the injury pushed him down? 

I don’t think the injury will push him down as much as positional value. He would be a sweet fit on our OL next to Dawkins. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m sure the Jets want a late first but based on Darnold the past two season, I’d be surprised if anyone gave up more than a 3rd.

For a team to trade a first round pick they really need to be convinced of that player’s ability.  I don’t think that any team would risk a first on Darnold.  A 3rd round pick would be a different story 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree that's the perception, and agree about a QB minded coach wanting to bring him in for a look - but I don't see them wanting to pay a first round pick PLUS $4.7M in guaranteed salary to do so.

I wonder about the Saints and Colts. Saints are very much cap strapped but need a QB unless they actually want to sign Jameis. That’s cheap for a QB if you think he’s your starter. Not sure about Saints being ok with the 1st rounder, they need cheap talent to replace guys they will likely need to part with. Colts on the other hand have quite a bit of cap space and a late first. And the OL. Just need a couple more weapons. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Darnold would be a good fit for a team like Pittsburgh.  Big Ben probably has maybe 1 year left and Rudolph doesn't seem to be the answer there.

Give a 2nd and a next year's 4th? for Darnold.

Well if Watson is worth 6 firsts and Stafford 2 1sts and Goff... Darnold worth at least, what 1.5 firsts? :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder about the Saints and Colts. Saints are very much cap strapped but need a QB unless they actually want to sign Jameis. That’s cheap for a QB if you think he’s your starter. Not sure about Saints being ok with the 1st rounder, they need cheap talent to replace guys they will likely need to part with. Colts on the other hand have quite a bit of cap space and a late first. And the OL. Just need a couple more weapons. 

The Colts make a ton of sense. Their first round pick is in the right spot.  And Darnold could easily thrive in the system they have there. 

I don't get the Darnold nay-sayers. He has flashed really well at times.  Put him behind an all-pro line with two stud RB's-- he would be really productive.