Is McDermott aggressive? NFL.com thinks so.

Michael1962

It was a real eye-opener this season.  I had resolved that he was always going to err more on the side of caution and be more in the vein of the "conservative" coaches of the league.

But he took many more risks over the season, and was definitely aggressive.  I didn't think his decision not to go for the TD at the end of the 1st half vs. KC was inconsistent w/ that - but the one in the 2nd half was a little bit more like how he had coached in previous seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Don't care if he's aggressive in the regular season. We need him to the better when it really counts or none of it matters. 

The coaches have blown 3 of the last 4 playoff games (Allen and some good fortune won us the colts game, despite a terrible game plan). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

until the last 3 games

Yep, it’s like the pressure of not winning prior playoff games made him clutch it a little tighter !  That attitude finally caught up with him and showed in the tight play of the team and Josh in the KC GAME.   Doing things , making choices they had not done while winning getting to that point. It’s obvious a learning issue and makes it appear you need to lose a few playoff games before you are ready to make the final step. That s why we have seasoned coaches on bing sides this year , and why mahomes was able to do so well even at Auchincloss a young age; Reid had been there and lost the SB before so he was a calming experience. Hopefully Mcd does learn from this , as I believe he will , and has the courage to make some needed coaching staff changes. Our line play on bing sides was terrible most of the time , and Mcd needs a better stsfff there to make the final super bowl step. Hopefully he doesn’t have to lose his first one after getting there to finally bring one home ! 

44 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Yep, it’s like the pressure of not winning prior playoff games made him clutch it a little tighter !  That attitude finally caught up with him and showed in the tight play of the team and Josh in the KC GAME.   Doing things , making choices they had not done while winning getting to that point. It’s obvious a learning issue and makes it appear you need to lose a few playoff games before you are ready to make the final step. That s why we have seasoned coaches on bing sides this year , and why mahomes was able to do so well even at Auchincloss a young age; Reid had been there and lost the SB before so he was a calming experience. Hopefully Mcd does learn from this , as I believe he will , and has the courage to make some needed coaching staff changes. Our line play on bing sides was terrible most of the time , and Mcd needs a better stsfff there to make the final super bowl step. Hopefully he doesn’t have to lose his first one after getting there to finally bring one home ! 

Learning lesson for this staff.. hopefully mistakes they won't make again. Experience is everything 

Yes he is aggressive. At times on defense against the Colts they were way too aggressive and blitzed far too much. The two FG decisions against KC were more conservative in big moments. I just can't get that angry about them because we got outplayed before we got out coached in that game. 

• Like (+1) 4

He has grown in this aspect. It helps when you have better players and it's not as risky taking a risk.

...... As for play-off game, hindsight is always so clear. Maybe, but oh so many things I would do differently if I knew the outcome before. ..... He'll learn what he needs.

13 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

I didn't see this posted, if I missed it please merge or delete.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-most-aggressive-head-coaches-in-today-s-nfl

Technically Nick Shook thinks so.  NFL.com is a website (and not AI) which has many different columnists and other talking heads.  And I think the "We" is royal we unless he states who participated in article.  Sort of like reporters with imaginary sources.

• Like (+1) 1

For those saying he should have been more aggressive in the championship round, what are some examples of when he should have pressed it?  The FG at the end of the first half seems to be the obvious opportunity.  What else should he have done?

Top 10 most aggressive head coaches in today's NFL

Rank 7
Sean McDermott
Buffalo Bills
Average Aggressiveness Score: 16.33
The rise of Josh Allen and his synergy with offensive coordinator Brian Daboll created an interesting combination of aggressive tendencies for McDermott's staff. The defensive-minded head coach oversaw a team with the ninth-highest blitz rate (35.02 percent), but also the sixth-highest AYTS (+2.4), 10th-most passes downfield and 12th-highest downfield pass percentage. In a season in which the Bills won 13 regular-season games, secured the No. 2 seed and finished one win from the Super Bowl, aggression was king. The most ironic part about these rates: Allen posted these passing numbers while cutting down on the downfield risk-taking in 2020, which contributed significantly to the leap he made in his third professional season. The results speak for themselves.

Pretty sure that score didn't include the AFCC game...