Trading for the other Josh Allen and other creative trades

billsfan89

This is not based off any trade rumors or rumblings. I just want to get fans perspectives on creative trade ideas to get the pieces needed to get this team over the hump. One of the hardest pieces the Bills are going to have to find is a good edge rusher. And unlike when the Bills traded for Diggs this team doesn't have the cap space to take on a bigger contract or a player seeking a bigger contract before the season. If I were McBeane I would try to see if they could try and pry the "other" Josh Allen from the Jags. Perhaps pick 62 and a conditional 4th in 2022 could get it done?

Why it makes sense

Jags Josh Allen was the 7th overall pick in 2019, drafted two spots ahead of Ed Oliver. He had a great rookie year with 10.5 sacks. However in 2020 he had only 2.5 sacks in 8 games and got hurt. Jags Josh Allen was drafted two years ago by a regime that is no longer in charge. Coming of an injury and a down year it might be a good time for the Bills to make an offer and try and get him at lower value.

A late 2nd round pick plus a future mid round selection is not an insignificant return and if the new Jags regime isn't sold on Allen then getting good draft compensation for him might not be a bad idea. It also makes sense from the Bills perspective as Jags Josh Allen is only making 6 million this season and is locked in for one more year on his rookie deal and has a 5th year option. It would be a good use of draft assets to trade for a young player with 2-3 years left on an affordable deal.

Why it doesn't make sense

It is hard to give up on a 24 year old who is one year removed from the Pro-Bowl on a rookie contract. If Meyer really likes him he isn't trading him for a late 2nd and a future pick. Also from the Bills perspective if the Jags are willing to give up their Josh Allen then that knee injury might be more serious or his dip in production in 2020 might be more indicative of longer term issues. 

Not sure what other more interesting trades that satisfy the Bills could be out there but let me know what you think of this one!

• Like (+1) 2

The only way I see it happening is if Urban comes and and does what McBeane did and clean house of guys they don't believe fit the culture they are trying to build.  Outside of that I think it would be a long shot, I can't see Urban giving up on a kid with the upside he has.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Why on earth would the Jags do this? A pro bowl top 10 pick in his third year in the league... and you think we can get him for a late 2nd?

Man, this is going to be a long offseason.

Jags Josh Allen was drafted by a previous regime and Urban could be looking to gut the roster completely and sell off parts. Not saying it is likely to happen but certainly it isn't that far fetched to think a new coach/GM might not be enamored with an old regimes draft pick who had an underwhelming second season.

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

The only way I see it happening is if Urban comes and and does what McBeane did and clean house of guys they don't believe fit the culture they are trying to build.  Outside of that I think it would be a long shot, I can't see Urban giving up on a kid with the upside he has.

That's the way I see it. It could be a Sammy/Darby situation where a player doesn't fit the scheme and they just try and get the best value they can.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Why on earth would the Jags do this? A pro bowl top 10 pick in his third year in the league... and you think we can get him for a late 2nd?

Man, this is going to be a long offseason.

Uhm. Because the OP wanted a thread about how cool it would be to have 2 Josh Allen’s? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This might be one of the worst trade ideas ever. For the Jags. Hey call Carolina too and maybe they can send Burns over for singletary. 
Don’t forget to hit up lynch in San Fran, bet they’d love to send us that injured bum Bosa for a 4th and Fromm

The Madden peeps are out. I think we should trade for Darren Waller, Kittle, JJ and TJ Watt, Julio Jones, Alvin Kamara, King Henry, and just for fun we bring back Peyton Manning as the QB coach.

Have fun with these trade ideas.  This happens every year.  We were going to trade for Rodgers, Manning, ya da ya da.

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That's the way I see it. It could be a Sammy/Darby situation where a player doesn't fit the scheme and they just try and get the best value they can.

It’s possible the Jags could tinker with the roster based on scheme/culture but fake JA is safe unless he doesn’t “buy in. “ no indications he’s that type. 

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Speaking of the 2019 draft, let’s trade Ed Oliver and Cody Ford for Devin White.

It is not hard to understand this position but I'd be willing to bet that you will be singing different song after next season.

As for the OP, it doesn't make any sense to Jags. Maybe if you suggested our 1st round pick this year, they would not hang up the call in 5 seconds. They would still hang up and question Beane's mental health though.

5 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

It is not hard to understand this position but I'd be willing to bet that you will be singing different song after next season.

As for the OP, it doesn't make any sense to Jags. Maybe if you suggested our 1st round pick this year, they would not hang up the call in 5 seconds. They would still hang up and question Beane's mental health though.

Oh, I like Ed Oliver and Cody Ford on the Bills, no problem there... but I would rather have Devin White.