Jadeveon Clowney as a UFA

Dkollidas

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I’d much rather have JJ Watt than Jadeveon Clowney, I assume their price tags will be similar. Although Watt is older and perhaps not as durable, he is capable of a 20 sack season whereas Clowney would be lucky to get you 10 sacks even if the stats aligned for him.

I would too. If could choose between the two and probably would only be a 1 or 2 year type of thing. Think I'd rather have Watt also. Get what he's got left in the tank for a year or two.

He isn't that good and hasn't been for years now. Nobody is willing to pay him, including the Bills. He keeps signing prove it deals and never proves anything.

I am not in favor of signing him. And I never have been.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, appoo said:

Clowney is still a disruptive player, even if he doesn't get sacks.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/10/jadeveon-clowney-pressures-no-sacks-titans

He tends to grade well without those stats. Right now he's a younger version of the current Jerry Hughes.

You could do well to get him for about 5M

So I think that has definitely been true.... until this season. I have been a big Clowney defender when the "he doesn't do anything" crowd get going and when you get into the advanced numbers they have always told a different story to the sack numbers alone. 

In 2018, his final season in Houston, Clowney played 15 games and he had 48 pressures, 21 QB hits and finished with 9 sacks (plus 21 tackles for loss). Compare it to say Khalil Mack that year who had 47 pressures, only 18 QB hits but finished with 12.5 sacks (and 10 tackles for loss). Looking purely at sack numbers you'd go "oh Mack was much more impactful than Clowney in 2018" but actually when you really dig into it they had pretty similar seasons and Mack was a candidate for DPOTY.

in 2019, his season in Seattle, Clowney played 13 games and had 30 pressures, 13 QB hits and only 3 sacks (plus 7 tackles for loss). That wasn't as good as his 2018 season, but still compared well with say, Buffalo's own Jerry Hughes who managed 4.5 sacks but from only 17 pressures and with 9 QB hits (and 6 tackles for loss).

As that article in the link suggests both of those years his production in terms of sack numbers did not match his impact in terms of disruption on the game. In 2020 he only played 8 games and he only managed 11 pressures and 6 QB hits and he looked kind of checked out to me. There is still a lot of talent in there.... but you have to get the head right and while the last two years I'd have been in favour of taking that risk.... at this stage I'd pass unless he takes a very cheap deal. If he'd play for $3.5m for 1 year then sure. Much more than that I'd pass. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Had literally almost zero production this year for Tennessee (literally zero sacks in 8 games played). 

But he’s an athletic freak who’s been near 10sks multiple times. 

McDermott discussed players coming here and “becoming the best version of themselves”.

All that being said, could he come to Buffalo on a one year, $2m-$3m prove it deal? He’s an elite talent who’s never been able to put it all together and imo is a perfect fit for the Shaq Lawson role in our defense. 

there's your answer. Always injured and rarely on the field. We have a Shaq Lawson role on this team?

Edited by nucci

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I think that has definitely been true.... until this season. I have been a big Clowney defender when the "he doesn't do anything" crowd get going and when you get into the advanced numbers they have always told a different story to the sack numbers alone. 

In 2018, his final season in Houston, Clowney played 15 games and he had 48 pressures, 21 QB hits and finished with 9 sacks (plus 21 tackles for loss). Compare it to say Khalil Mack that year who had 47 pressures, only 18 QB hits but finished with 12.5 sacks (and 10 tackles for loss). Looking purely at sack numbers you'd go "oh Mack was much more impactful than Clowney in 2018" but actually when you really dig into it they had pretty similar seasons and Mack was a candidate for DPOTY.

in 2019, his season in Seattle, Clowney played 13 games and had 30 pressures, 13 QB hits and only 3 sacks (plus 7 tackles for loss). That wasn't as good as his 2018 season, but still compared well with say, Buffalo's own Jerry Hughes who managed 4.5 sacks but from only 17 pressures and with 9 QB hits (and 6 tackles for loss).

As that article in the link suggests both of those years his production in terms of sack numbers did not match his impact in terms of disruption on the game. In 2020 he only played 8 games and he only managed 11 pressures and 6 QB hits and he looked kind of checked out to me. There is still a lot of talent in there.... but you have to get the head right and while the last two years I'd have been in favour of taking that risk.... at this stage I'd pass unless he takes a very cheap deal. If he'd play for $3.5m for 1 year then sure. Much more than that I'd pass. 

I'm okay with someone not getting the sack as long as they get legit pressure.  I like our secondary and LB's in coverage if the QB has to hurry his throws....

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, this. Clowney was very disruptive in Seattle, and he was terrific in Houston. He may be falling off a cliff now, however. And the lack of bend that good edge rushers all have and which the article points out makes a lot of sense. I'm leery. 

This was very eye-opening, by the way: 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont know what it is about this guy that has people pounding the table for him every year?  Is it name recognition, or the fact that he looks intimidating in a football jersey?   He has missed 25% of his games since word go, and has never had more than 9.5 sacks in a season.   No thank you.  

The piece GunnerBill links to above is excellent. I recommend it. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I don't remember anybody who was ineffective two straight years becoming an impact player again. He was not even average the last two years, he was ineffective. I pass unless literally league minimum

That's not really true with regard to Seattle. He was a disruptive player who affected games there. Last year not so much, though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea, excellent point. I hadn't realized he was so checked out. I think 5M would be the cutoff for me (Edge defenders tend to be really expensive), but anything more and I think you're using too much cap for someone who's such an enigma.

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm okay with someone not getting the sack as long as they get legit pressure.  I like our secondary and LB's in coverage if the QB has to hurry his throws....

It's an interesting philosophical discussion.

One of the ways college teams counter elite programs with blue chip recruited defenders, is with tempo. Not just how fast you snap, but how quickly you release the ball. When a QB is throwing the ball in less than 3 seconds, getting a sack is almost out the question.

I've been noticing some of that show in the NFL these days.  When that happens, just moving him off his base and delaying him half a second is basically a win, and that's where someone like Jerry Hughes adds a ton of value. Guys who win their matchup in the first 2 seconds.

It's an evolving game, and we might need better metrics.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Had literally almost zero production this year for Tennessee (literally zero sacks in 8 games played). 

But he’s an athletic freak who’s been near 10sks multiple times. 

McDermott discussed players coming here and “becoming the best version of themselves”.

All that being said, could he come to Buffalo on a one year, $2m-$3m prove it deal? He’s an elite talent who’s never been able to put it all together and imo is a perfect fit for the Shaq Lawson role in our defense. 

You're mixing up what you know about his past with the present, and assuming he is the same player he always was.

He's not.

Hard pass.

Edited by Nextmanup